U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 AM

9 posts, read 57,260 times

Advertisements

I am PCSing from Germany to Langley at the end of this month and am curious about the best neighborhoods to live in. I've been hearing a little bit about the "bad side" of town and I've been looking at houses online, but am not really sure where these bad neighborhoods are. Its important to me to live somewhat close to base, and I am single with a dog, so I don't need anything big (but I would really like a yard). I'm looking to rent for $1000 or less. I would like to close to some nightlife, but its not really a big deal - i don't want to live all the way out in Virginia Beach. Any tips for a newcomer?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 AM

22 posts, read 59,935 times
My husband and I are PCS'ing to Langley shortly and are pretty much in the same boat, however, we are just looking for an apartment in at least an "okay" neighborhood. It's difficult!!! Have you checked out ahrn.com?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 57,260 times
Yes, that's pretty much the only place I've checked out! I think from what I've heard, I want to live in the Yorktown area - but the choices are limited. I'm really wanting a place with a yard and thats been hard to come by. The houses seem kind of small for the BAH I get. But I'll suck it up for a fenced in yard for the dog.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:11 AM

432 posts, read 826,598 times
Hmm been about 6 years since I was last at Langley. "Great assignment BTW" As far as apartments, When I was leaving they had just finished the Belmont Apartments. They are located right up against base housing in Bethel Manor.” Which gives you easy access to the decent Shoppette they have out there. Plenty of stuff around the area as well. They have a nice mini lake in the center. The drive to main base from there, is 15 mins give or take.... depending on traffic of course. Looks like it fits your price range as well.

Here’s the link

Belmont At York Apartments Yorktown, VA - Apartments for Rent in Yorktown Virginia

Others that come to mind are Yorkshire Downs, Kiln Creek. Not sure how much they run for rent.

Best advice I can give you is keep to the Yorktown/Tabb area. All the ones I mentioned are in that General area.

Id go in more depth, if not for the long day I had. Not to mention the need for sleep. But feel free to message me any questions you have in regard to Apartments, the base, the area etc... Lived there for four years, so I know quite a bit ha.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 AM

153 posts, read 372,914 times
I was there for 10 yrs from 89-99. It's grown a lot and changed a lot. I still visit from time to time as all my friends are there. Really hard to recommend an area but you can look here for places as well. GL w/ the search! MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases
I just left Germany myself last summer. I had an 8 yr run though so I'm fine w/ it.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:52 AM

798 posts, read 2,542,055 times
We left the Langley area in 2007 and I agree with the information you have been given. We lived in Tabb because of the school district but lots of other areas are safe and convenient to base. Michaels Woods is a older area with SFH and is a bit cheaper area but still relatively safe (at least it was when I was there). I worked with a few folks who rented there and were happy with it. There is another apartment there on MacGruder (Route 134) that is quite popular but for the life of me, I can not think of the name right now.. I would not consider living on the other side of the bridge.. traffic can be a nightmare..

Old 04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
SES

17 posts, read 55,711 times
I started another thread because I too am PCSing to Ft. Monroe. I have been reading other threads such as this and the main concern in every thread is safety. It is truly sad that a place as beautiful as Hampton Roads has gotten so unsafe to live.

It has been recommended to live in an apartment complex that police officers live in; talk to the neighbors and visit the complex during the day and at night before signing the lease. Unfortunately from what I have read, drug dealing, murders, and other crime even happen during the day, and especially at night. I am a civilian on PCS orders and am starting to regret ever accepting the position. I am moving from the midwest where in the suburbs at least I don't have to worry about my car being stolen or being mugged to a place where your safety is a paramount concern. - and the governor is doing what about this? giving more money to the police department so they can combat these issues?

As far as rental houses, I have found a lot on the market are people who couldn't sell the house and believe that some poor fool will pay their mortgage for them. If I were to shell out $2000 for rent, it would be on my house. In addition, you have to be careful renting because if the person is going into foreclosure or possibly going into foreclosure (and I doubt they will tell you),you could find yourself without a place to live when the bank takes it back. A serious concern. -and just because they are a field grade officers renting their house doesn't mean they don't have economic issues.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM

798 posts, read 2,542,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SES View Post
I started another thread because I too am PCSing to Ft. Monroe. I have been reading other threads such as this and the main concern in every thread is safety. It is truly sad that a place as beautiful as Hampton Roads has gotten so unsafe to live.

It has been recommended to live in an apartment complex that police officers live in; talk to the neighbors and visit the complex during the day and at night before signing the lease. Unfortunately from what I have read, drug dealing, murders, and other crime even happen during the day, and especially at night. I am a civilian on PCS orders and am starting to regret ever accepting the position. I am moving from the midwest where in the suburbs at least I don't have to worry about my car being stolen or being mugged to a place where your safety is a paramount concern. - and the governor is doing what about this? giving more money to the police department so they can combat these issues?

As far as rental houses, I have found a lot on the market are people who couldn't sell the house and believe that some poor fool will pay their mortgage for them. If I were to shell out $2000 for rent, it would be on my house. In addition, you have to be careful renting because if the person is going into foreclosure or possibly going into foreclosure (and I doubt they will tell you),you could find yourself without a place to live when the bank takes it back. A serious concern. -and just because they are a field grade officers renting their house doesn't mean they don't have economic issues.
I think you will find these crimes are largely centered in particular "bad" areas. We lived there for 7 years without incident or fear and still have many friends in the area who never experience any problems. Like anywhere else, you need to use common sense on where/when you are out walking around by yourself for example but this is not a dangerous area to live by any stretch..

Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 PM
SES

17 posts, read 55,711 times
Irish. Thank you. - knowing when you lived in the area can mean a difference. I lived in D.C. when it was relatively inexpensive but that was almost eons ago. However I have been getting the crimes stats for the areas, and it is fairly high especially the violent crime. I realize I am upsetting some of the locals because they don't want to believe there is crime where they live. I live in the Leavenworth area and they don't have crime there either. (sure and right). I understand about where to go and when, however when my car will be in the parking lot of a apartment complex and my vehicles will be vulnerable to the riff raff. They don't necessarily break into cars just where they live. If you check ,the crime stats involving cars is high.

People have told me to stay away from certain areas and that is almost every area south of Yorktown. Because I choose not to live south of the tunnel for obvious reasons, there are limited places to live.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,411 times
Default Pcsing also

Yes I am AF and getting assigned to Ft. Eustis. I have friends here that say yorktown and around the Ft. Eustis area are nice also. I heard to stay away from the the SW part of New port news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area