U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,492 posts, read 9,000,453 times
Reputation: 5543

Advertisements

I am a college undergraduate. I have my Bachelors Degree in computer science. I graduated with a good GPA. I moved to VA in Aug 2008 after I finished college in NYC. Now I am doing my Masters Degree in computer security. Moreover, I have been applying for many jobs but nobody is hiring me. Do any of you know where can I apply for a job? Because I really want to work.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 04-12-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2009, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Hampton, VA
22 posts, read 61,446 times
Reputation: 12
Have you tried the USAjobs site (fedjobs.gov)? The resume has to be in a certain format, however, you may find something there. And what about monster, yahoo hot jobs, craig's list....and other sites like that? Best wished to ya, because I will be in the same boat in about a month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,492 posts, read 9,000,453 times
Reputation: 5543
ohh lol.. what are you majoring in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsweetie1 View Post
Have you tried the USAjobs site (fedjobs.gov)? The resume has to be in a certain format, however, you may find something there. And what about monster, yahoo hot jobs, craig's list....and other sites like that? Best wished to ya, because I will be in the same boat in about a month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Hampton, VA
22 posts, read 61,446 times
Reputation: 12
When I wrote that I'd be in the same boat, I ment as far as job-searching. I have a bachelors in Psychology, but have not pursued anything in that field. I work in insurance/customer service.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,492 posts, read 9,000,453 times
Reputation: 5543
ohh ok. So when will be moving to VA if I may know?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,582,009 times
Reputation: 2552
Try the endless temp and placement agencies. Those are the only things Ive ever had any luck with in the area. All three jobs Ive had here since graduating college with a degree in finance Ive gotten through temp or placement agencies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,492 posts, read 9,000,453 times
Reputation: 5543
Ok thanks. I will try that=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Try the endless temp and placement agencies. Those are the only things Ive ever had any luck with in the area. All three jobs Ive had here since graduating college with a degree in finance Ive gotten through temp or placement agencies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM
 
520 posts, read 1,518,982 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I am a college undergraduate. I have my Bachelors Degree in computer science. I graduated with a good GPA. I moved to VA in Aug 2008 after I finished college in NYC. Now I am doing my Masters Degree in computer security. Moreover, I have been applying for many jobs but nobody is hiring me. Do any of you know where can I apply for a job? Because I really want to work.
Chrome rim shops, payday loans, and the stores that cater only to E1 and up and government employee rent to own. Those are the big things in Hampton Roads.

Seriously, I'm in IT. So I'll give you pointers.

First thing you should do. HR Geeks. Granted, I help run the site. But yea, a pretty good cross section of people come to the meetings or are on the mailing list. I'd say we had 22 last Thursday. On the list: From computer security college course instructor, to CTO of a group that does computer security (Fortune 500?), to people that work in computer security at the top of the game in the region. Not limited to compsec, there are people into robotics, software development (all langs), and other stuff. Both hobbyist and professional (and as you can imagine, many of the hobbyists are better than the professionals). A friend and myself just presented at the Shmoocon "hacker" conference in DC (Open Source UAV project called openvulture, see 757 Labs (http://www.757labs.com - broken link)). Not to mention, people that work for most of the tech places local frequent the list or the people on the list know someone there. (Note, other people, if you know people that are into technology, robotics, security, computers, etc, feel free to refer them!).

Human networking is the best.

hotjobs, dice, monster, linkedin, careerconnection all have value. But not as much as knowing people.

Also, the ability to get a gov't security clearance ranks high. Higher is actually having one. Secret is okay, TS is better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,492 posts, read 9,000,453 times
Reputation: 5543
Wow thanks very informative. I will surely consider your posting. Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
Chrome rim shops, payday loans, and the stores that cater only to E1 and up and government employee rent to own. Those are the big things in Hampton Roads.

Seriously, I'm in IT. So I'll give you pointers.

First thing you should do. HR Geeks. Granted, I help run the site. But yea, a pretty good cross section of people come to the meetings or are on the mailing list. I'd say we had 22 last Thursday. On the list: From computer security college course instructor, to CTO of a group that does computer security (Fortune 500?), to people that work in computer security at the top of the game in the region. Not limited to compsec, there are people into robotics, software development (all langs), and other stuff. Both hobbyist and professional (and as you can imagine, many of the hobbyists are better than the professionals). A friend and myself just presented at the Shmoocon "hacker" conference in DC (Open Source UAV project called openvulture, see 757 Labs (http://www.757labs.com - broken link)). Not to mention, people that work for most of the tech places local frequent the list or the people on the list know someone there. (Note, other people, if you know people that are into technology, robotics, security, computers, etc, feel free to refer them!).

Human networking is the best.

hotjobs, dice, monster, linkedin, careerconnection all have value. But not as much as knowing people.

Also, the ability to get a gov't security clearance ranks high. Higher is actually having one. Secret is okay, TS is better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
 
83 posts, read 213,562 times
Reputation: 20
You and a lot of other college grads are looking for jobs in HR. I'd suggest venturing outside of the bubble a little, you will have much more opportunity... Believe me, I just moved to California from there and the opportunity here is MUCH greater. I may have to come back for another masters program but it will be very temporary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top