Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM

520 posts, read 1,623,250 times

Advertisements

It's looking good for the old money that own large portfolios of property. It looks good for the developers that have Sessoms in the mayors office in Virginia Beach, he will hand over more money to the likes of Armada Hoffler.

At the end of the day, the banks produce little but own all of the really large and nice buildings. Lawyers as well.

Other issues the region faces is transportation routes. The trucks from the ports cause issues (look at today), but the burden of the roadways is shared with the residents. The ports (as I understand it) are fairly highly automated, using computer vision and what not to move containers off the ships. Not HUGE employment centers.

As far as high tech jobs, I don't see it. Medical support is probably a great place to be. The riches of the area, people like Battan and Landmark donate money to schools. They get buildings in their name, but the tuition for the students increases. They've embarked on a few tech startups (Greatbridge.com comes to mind), but management was no good (newspaper folk I think) and others spent like mad so it failed. With regards to Dominion, I've heard LOTS of bad things from older employees, but have some friends new to it now so I'm anxious to hear how that goes.

I'm not sure what NASA Langley's future is. JLAB is expanding, getting another hall on the accelerator, which is good news. I think it was announced that they are getting 75 million.

But as far as the small companies, this area doesn't work well for tech startups. There are a few in the area (I do work for one). After working where I work now, I don't want to ever go back to the places I worked at before. But I know if something happens to the company I work for, there isn't going to be much hope of a good place to work. And by that, I mean, good boss, good coworkers, and no BS.

People here are backwoods, and they don't get tech stuff too well. Not progressive thinkers. The datacom infrastructure is actually very very horrible, it's apparent how little tech stuff is here on the data centers alone. If you want good connectivity to the intenret (from the perspective of serving content) you go to DC. There is a very limited number of places to put stuff locally, and no great connectivity. There is little market it for it.

*Shrug* I've tried to do a number of crazy projects. I still work on stuff. I used to be totally pro-Hampton Roads. The 3rd company I ever worked for, I heard the CEO talking about how this is HAmpton Roads, no one pays real salaries here and a bunch of other stuff... and I was all offended and ranted about it. He was right! (They were still a pretty bad company, but scored a $1 billlion dollar contract from the gov't.)

*Shrug* I love these discussions though. Years ago I had a site called HamptonRoadsSucks.com. People from time to time would post some great info about the larger companies and what was going on.

I wish we could change it, but I think the people are broken. I think the good people mostly leave, weren't here, or the ones that are don't have the power.

You look at the companies that the wealthy have created here. If they are successful, they never share the riches with the young. Out in Silicon Valley, the companies that are successful, because they are so successful the young employees get a small cut (which is big to us, but in the scope of what the useless financial people get it's small). With this money, those people turn around and start new companies or they fund new startups. This is how we get the sites that are everywhere today like Facebook and youtube. There is none of that here. The rich get richer, but you don't see any trickle down. Now they fleece the young people, getting them to go into insane amounts of debt just to buy a poorly constructed house. Houses made by illegal workforce, and priced the highest ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM

83 posts, read 224,886 times
Perfectly said.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 PM

Okay, I'll admit it. I don't finish everything I start. It's a challenge to do so. But, just so I can show that *yes*, I have tried to do stuff, much of it just for fun....

-----------------
I tried to launch a local music show. It was to show videos. Unlike other attempts, it ran off of a computer. The computer would be located at the Cox headend, and generate the content for each show. It was to use closed caption tech (text1/2 and CC1/2) to show artist information and complete show schedules for local bands. The show schedule information came from a site I started called music.HRConnect.com, which was part of HRConnect.com.

Problem was finding video content. No one had any, since there was no place to run it. Also there is no "public access" in the 7 cities, so I would end up spending $200+ for 1 hour of time at 11PM on a Thursday on channel 71 on Cox. I back burnered it, but still tried to get videos.

This is actual output, playing a video and using the text1 feature that you've never seen do anything on any television. Pic says 2001!

So the HRConnect site streams audio of local police/fire/rescue of almost all cities. The friend that helps run (he runs the radios, I run the computers for the most part) has been busy and the feeds need attention. This is successful, costly, but about 15 people are using it at all times.

The music site had some love. It was too expensive to advertise it here in the paper, landmark owns almost all print in Hampton Roads. Insanely rich family. I advertised it in print pubs in Richmond, and was benefiting some people. MySpace became the place eventually, which is cool.

But in addition to that, I tried to offer record stores a deal. If they would host these signs for free, I'd put ads up for them for free. The signs would only market the local bands and where they are playing. Here is a pic of two of the signs (I won't put it in the post since it's a larger pic).
http://www.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/...e/IMG_3313.JPG

I started a project that I regrettably didn't finish to distribute video to some of the places on Granby Street. It was a project I was working on with Relative Theory, but I took a crappy job (NMCI) and was getting burned out at work (really bad work environment).

Then I did the truck project (757truck.com - the postal truck hack). You can see it in Make Magazine. Took it down to the beach a few times. Fun stuff. A friend put me in contact with two businesses. I was offering to them to advertise their kareoke bar on it... doing LIVE STREAMING VIDEO to the truck from their bar while the truck is in motion. All they had to pay was the Verizon EVDO wireless card fee, and the fee for the internet at their establishment. I would agree to do it for X hours. Just to try it and do something new. They wouldn't do it. Too stupid, too old school. I did stream a show to the truck from Realtive Theory records though, that was awesome! This is the test (I have a video of the truck on granby street showing the band playing in the record store elsewhere) http://www.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/rt.jpg (broken link)

Eventually the evil people that manage the building I rent in said I couldn't keep the truck at the apartment building. I followed their request that I park it in an area, where it was always getting blocked in. I didn't say anything about the Freemason Inn customers blocking in my ability to leave, but then got accused of never moving the truck. The residents of Freemason think the company is nice, but really they are horrible people that are horrible to their customers. But there isn't much choice, since most of the property management companies are here and used to dealing with navy people who they can take advantage of. So it's a bind. So I sold the truck 2 weeks ago. Time to move on anyways. I've got new technology http://www.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/w0rd.jpg (broken link)

There is a bunch of other projects in various stages. I had an office in Virginia Beach but eventually the cost of it, and the very very rapid rise in the cost of rent for home resulted in me paying out nearly 100% of my income to rent (a few changes in situation). It was fun while it lasted but glad to get rid of it. You can see a look back at it here:
YouTube - Projects done @ 757 WHQ (Hampton Roads / Virginia Beach)

There was a number of other projects. 757 Labs (http://www.757labs.com - broken link) has a bunch. A friend just got published in the current edition of 2600 magazine.

So I've been around. I've paid attention. I see what's up. I do travel to other areas.

I've worked to do my fair share of things. There is other stuff I can't disclose because it might still be useful in terms of commercialization. Other friends are interested and we may be getting a new lab space. Trying to rent one has been horrible, everyone wants WAY too much money for commercial space. I've heard from 3 others actively looking for space and 1 that I know is looking, and they are all turned off by the very high asking prices for commercial space. Much higher than it was 3 years ago, when the economy was good. This could hamper business growth in Hampton Roads as well.

Okay, enough ranting and ego stroking.

I've got a ton of stories, though :-)

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,180,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post

I've worked to do my fair share of things. There is other stuff I can't disclose because it might still be useful in terms of commercialization. Other friends are interested and we may be getting a new lab space. Trying to rent one has been horrible, everyone wants WAY too much money for commercial space. I've heard from 3 others actively looking for space and 1 that I know is looking, and they are all turned off by the very high asking prices for commercial space. Much higher than it was 3 years ago, when the economy was good. This could hamper business growth in Hampton Roads as well.

Okay, enough ranting and ego stroking.

I've got a ton of stories, though :-)

Why are you here? You seem like a mover and shaker. Hampton Roads is certainly not the environment for anyone like that. I complain that there is no opportunity for corporate support positions, but I can only imagine how hard it is for people who have ideas like these, and the technical skill to create them, but cant get them off of the ground because of the black hole of Hampton Roads has nothing to support what they are doing.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 AM

159 posts, read 531,161 times
I noticed that the people around here (the wealthy ones) have this good ol boy network type thing going on. I also noticed that the middle class around here is shrinking really fast. I thought i wanted to stay here when i finished school since im from here, but i realized a while ago that i simply could not afford to live decently here on my own. So upon graduation, i'm definetely moving.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
I noticed that the people around here (the wealthy ones) have this good ol boy network type thing going on. I also noticed that the middle class around here is shrinking really fast. I thought i wanted to stay here when i finished school since im from here, but i realized a while ago that i simply could not afford to live decently here on my own. So upon graduation, i'm definetely moving.

Which is unfortunatley a terrible symptom of Hampton Roads. The best and the brightest young minds the area produces are leaving to places that are affordable, and offer better opportunities. Its called brain drain, and Hampton Roads couldnt care less, as they continue to do nothing about any of the symptoms driving the youth away.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,292,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Which is unfortunatley a terrible symptom of Hampton Roads. The best and the brightest young minds the area produces are leaving to places that are affordable, and offer better opportunities. Its called brain drain, and Hampton Roads couldnt care less, as they continue to do nothing about any of the symptoms driving the youth away.
After graduating college, a lot of people move to different areas. This is not unique to Hampton Roads. Have you ever been out of Hampton Roads? There are many places worse than HR; again, look at NJ. You think the government in VA Beach is bad, the NJ government is wasting our tax dollars by making teenage drivers put stickers on their car.

Quote:
TRENTON, N.J. – Would you drive any differently if you knew there was a teenager behind the wheel of the car in front of you?
You might find out soon. A first-in-the-nation law in New Jersey will require new drivers ages 21 and younger to display identifying decals on their vehicles.
Gov. Jon Corzine signed the law Wednesday; it takes effect next year.
Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by Marka; 04-20-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 AM

290 posts, read 1,157,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
After graduating college, a lot of people move to different areas. This is not unique to Hampton Roads. Have you ever been out of Hampton Roads? There are many places worse than HR; again, look at NJ. You think the government in VA Beach is bad, the NJ government is wasting our tax dollars by making teenage drivers put stickers on their car.
Who said anything about moving to blahhh new jersey, obviously its better here. So we would probably move to somewhere better than here dont you think

Old 04-16-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah, most colleges are in tiny towns which only consist of the college and not much else. Most people I know that went to school in NYC, Atlanta, Washington DC, Coastal California, Seattle, Chicago, southern Florida.....they stay in the area after school.

Here in good ol' Hampton Roads, population approximatley 1.5 million, there should not be as much brain drain as there is.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
So identify who these people are, and their social networks.

Then try to destroy them.

One big thing for me is the slumlords. They are old people, and probably not very smart. Often times the wealth is handed down, it came from inheritance. Money begets money. The slumlords are used to the Navy people. Navy people come all the time, there is never a shortage of turnover. Back in the old days slumlords would always have fresh meat. But now there is the internet. It's easy enough to leave behind messages and information to warn future potential customers. Eventually it will hurt business so much that investors will pull away.

There are other things that can be done.

The reason I'm here is A: Friends and B: I work for a good company, and have an interest in seeing it do well. It's nice that not many people do stuff so you stand out, but a bummer because there isn't a huge community of people doing cool things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area