Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
If you feel ostracized for not having kids, imagine how strongly ostracized one might be if you attempt to start a discussion about astrology! About the only place in the area where you can do that is the HeritageStore or the A.R.E. Been there, done that. Now if you want to talk about the bible, there will be plenty of ears.
Oh. I don't believe in Astrology, but would rather hear about it over the Bible!!

There is a local atheist group that has a monthly meeting. Keep meaning to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM

177 posts, read 366,223 times
If I could move out of the area (and am trying to this summer) I would probably go to NoVA or MD. Second choice somewhere in central VA around C'ville (depending on finding a tchg job), or SWVa. I'd also really consider around Asheville, Raleigh, Knoxville or Chattanooga... just somewhere smaller, more friendly, and less expensive to live on one teaching salary! Sad thing is I'm from the area, but didn't really grow up here and never planned on returning once I left in the late 80's... and this time back I have wanted to get out since I returned - and if I do I definitely don't plan on coming back again to live here...

Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Randomdude wrote:
To be fair, astrology is a subject that appeals to a minute fraction of the population (maybe 1% generously).
In my experience, I'd say it's way less than that.

I dont know, they print horoscopes in newspapers for a reason. However, I think, in general, most peoples interest in the subject probably stops there I imagine.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM

88 posts, read 310,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcher View Post
Hahah I so know what you mean.. I'm mid 30's, no kids and don't really have any interest in having any any time soon. It's like a I'm a leper. People, including my friends, don't want to talk about anything else but kids. But hey, don't give up.. there are still a few of us out there with something else to talk about.

As for where I'd like to move.. I don't have it narrowed down but I'd like to give someplace in Europe a try for a bit. There are some really interesting cities over there that I think would be a lot of fun to live in for a while.
Hmmm, glad i'm not the only one with no kids being ignored..lol. Have you ever been anywhere in Europe? I went to London a few years ago, and I felt like I belonged there. I still want to go to Italy and Greece. I'd love to live overseas, if funds ever allowed

Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 AM

43 posts, read 113,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by towncentergal View Post
Have you ever been anywhere in Europe?
Sadly I've not.. I'm somewhat of a restless spirit and have lived in a few different areas but only on the east coast of the US. I do a tremendous amount of reading and over the last few years I've really started to read as much as I can on the cities in Europe and their histories. The sheer amount of history involved with some of the older cities is amazing!

One of these days I'm going to jump the pond and get on a bullet train and see all the countries and cities on my list. .and who knows, I may not come back

Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM

106 posts, read 383,991 times
I'm moving this summer to NOVA, after living in HR for 25 years. We are relocating to the Front Royal/Winchester area and plan to stay there.
HR has just gotten too big and too much traffic. The roads are crap, and the people refuse to raise taxes to fix them.
Moving to the country, gonna eat me a lot of apples...

Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 PM

35 posts, read 102,700 times
Quote:
Hmmm, glad i'm not the only one with no kids being ignored..lol. Have you ever been anywhere in Europe? I went to London a few years ago, and I felt like I belonged there. I still want to go to Italy and Greece. I'd love to live overseas, if funds ever allowed
I've been to both Italy and Greece and those two are my favorite trips. I grew up loving mythology so I was really drawn to Athens and Rome. Seeing the Parthenon and the acropolis was a dream, but the Greek islands are very pretty and very much worth seeing. I only had time to go to two - Santorini and Paros, but I'd love to go back and see more.

Rome was fantastic - I was there for four days then traveled south to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. I'd love to go back there too because there is still so much to see.

If you ever get a chance to see either place - go for it!! You won't regret it.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
We have lived in Hampton Roads for 10 years. We loved it here which was why we stayed so long, but now we are feeling like it's time to pack our bags and move on. Our oldest is about to graduate High school, which has been nice for her to stay in one school district for so long, and our other child is only in elementary school so moving him wont be a tragedy at this point.

The winters are getting too harsh for me. When we first moved here I didnt even own a winter coat for several years. Capri's and a hoodie during the winter was standard. It's been getting colder and colder each winter and that is harder and harder on my body. I'm only 41 but it makes me feel much older.

We have been researching where we'd like to try next and our opinion is Tampa, Florida. We've been down there several times and have researched it alot. I'm sure it's not where we will want to stay forever, but it will be fun to be there for a few years or so. If we don't like it, we know where the U-Haul rentals can be found.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:10 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
I lived in the UK for 2 years and I do agree, they are less critical of their lifestyles and the laws don't play games. Pretty easy place to live.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,648 times
My family and I are leaving HR and headed to Dallas because that's where my hubby's new job will be. That's reason enough for us! Besides that, the area is affordable and diverse and not far from his family.

So, sorry guys, I'm one of those cool people who are leaving. LOL. Many of my friends who are in their 30's don't have kids. Nothing wrong with that. I do find that most of my friends here who have kids NEVER do anything without them. Blah! I'm a much better mom when I have some me time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area