U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM

159 posts, read 505,246 times

Advertisements

First let me say, I'm starting to think that i am addicted to City Data !!

I'm a college student and in my english class i was assigned to write an arguementative paper on whether Hampton Roads should combine into one city. I'm kinda stumped . I'm FOR Hampton Roads uniting into one city but I'm not quite sure what some good reasons are, thus I thought it would be a great idea to ask here on the forums.

So what do you think? :

Should Hampton Roads combine into one city? Why or why not? Also, state your reasons!

I'd really appreciate some comments so I can have a direction to go when writing the paper.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 AM

520 posts, read 1,518,775 times
While it would make the region as a whole stronger, it would eliminate the power that the people controlling each city has. I'm not talking about the political puppets, I'm talking the old money families and wealthy people / businesses. For instance, Norfolk Southern might have Norfolk on their jank, but not the other cities. Meanwhile, Armada Hoffler has VaBeach on their jank, but not the others.

On top of this, the historical names.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,580,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
First let me say, I'm starting to think that i am addicted to City Data !!

I'm a college student and in my english class i was assigned to write an arguementative paper on whether Hampton Roads should combine into one city. I'm kinda stumped . I'm FOR Hampton Roads uniting into one city but I'm not quite sure what some good reasons are, thus I thought it would be a great idea to ask here on the forums.

So what do you think? :

Should Hampton Roads combine into one city? Why or why not? Also, state your reasons!

I'd really appreciate some comments so I can have a direction to go when writing the paper.

Thanks in advance.

I think all of Hampton Roads should be combined in to one county, but not one city.

I think that Virginia beach should be divided up between Chesapeake and Norfolk. Norfolk would get the chunk that covers Kempsville and Bayside, and Chesapeake would get the rest. Portsmouth should be combined with Norfolk completely. I think Chesapeake and Suffolk should be redrawn, so that Chesapeake becomes further South east, and Suffolk wraps around to the North, so that both would have very easy access to the new Norfolk downtown area, which would be developed from Portsmouths old downtown and Norfolks current one.

What we would be left with is

Norfolk, population about 550k
Chesapeake, about 315k
Suffolk, about 170k

I would further make the argument of carving the following cities out of those large ones

Pungo
South Norfolk (which would encompass a much large area then what it currently does)
Lynnhaven
Indian River
Great Bridge
and a few out of current Suffolk as well.

Ideally, wed have Norfolk with about 550k and maybe 10-15 other suburbs that stretch all the way to the southwest corner of current Suffolk, with between 20-60k people in each.

I do not believe the answer is to combine Hampton Roads in to a city the population is far too diverse and geographically huge, but construct South Hampton roads in to a true county set up, with a larger, more dynamic Norfolk at the hub, and also construct North Hampton Roads, exactly the same way, with Newport News as the hub. We would have almost what Oakland and San Francisco have, and the cities of Norfolk and Newport News would be benefit greatly, as they would gain the combined negotiating power of about a million people and about a half a million people respectively, without having to combine them at a local level.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,519,114 times
I think I'm with you, hurley89. I always thought it'd be kinda nice to have Hampton Roads as one city, and to think of the 7 current cities as burroughs or something. It does seem like more good would get done when confronting our region's problems. Sometimes I feel like each city focuses too much on competeing with each other and we suffer from it. My main thing is I'd want to see a public transit system, like subway or light rail, that covers ALL of HR - not just our dingy bus system like we have now.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think all of Hampton Roads should be combined in to one county, but not one city.

I think that Virginia beach should be divided up between Chesapeake and Norfolk. Norfolk would get the chunk that covers Kempsville and Bayside, and Chesapeake would get the rest. Portsmouth should be combined with Norfolk completely. I think Chesapeake and Suffolk should be redrawn, so that Chesapeake becomes further South east, and Suffolk wraps around to the North, so that both would have very easy access to the new Norfolk downtown area, which would be developed from Portsmouths old downtown and Norfolks current one.

What we would be left with is

Norfolk, population about 550k
Chesapeake, about 315k
Suffolk, about 170k

I would further make the argument of carving the following cities out of those large ones

Pungo
South Norfolk (which would encompass a much large area then what it currently does)
Lynnhaven
Indian River
Great Bridge
and a few out of current Suffolk as well.

Ideally, wed have Norfolk with about 550k and maybe 10-15 other suburbs that stretch all the way to the southwest corner of current Suffolk, with between 20-60k people in each.

I do not believe the answer is to combine Hampton Roads in to a city the population is far too diverse and geographically huge, but construct South Hampton roads in to a true county set up, with a larger, more dynamic Norfolk at the hub, and also construct North Hampton Roads, exactly the same way, with Newport News as the hub. We would have almost what Oakland and San Francisco have, and the cities of Norfolk and Newport News would be benefit greatly, as they would gain the combined negotiating power of about a million people and about a half a million people respectively, without having to combine them at a local level.
I could be wrong, but this is kinda like how Southern California is set up, right? With Los Angeles County?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM

361 posts, read 1,383,278 times
Thats HR's main problem, is that their is not a central city with supporting counties around it like most other metros. VB, Chespeake, Suffolk, Hampton and NN are all city-county hybrids that became independant "cities", and basically chocked off Norfolk and Portsmouth. How to change that now, I do not know, nor do I think anything will happen any time soon

Old 04-27-2009, 01:05 PM

290 posts, read 1,093,396 times
We should combine them and call it Virginia City, that would be a legendary move.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,580,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
We should combine them and call it Virginia City, that would be a legendary move.

I think its way too big and diverse. This isnt New York City here, where each burrough is basically a concrete jungle, and faces much of the same issues.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Reading this reminded me of when a friend of mine ordered something from a company based in California. They asked him, "What city are you from?" And he said, "Virginia Beach." Their reply was, "...Florida?" Hahaha.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:20 PM

290 posts, read 1,093,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think its way too big and diverse. This isnt New York City here, where each burrough is basically a concrete jungle, and faces much of the same issues.
Yea you're right, this independent city thing really messed this area up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area