Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 PM

13 posts, read 52,964 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to be working at Lake Taylor Transitional Hospital, and need advice on a safe and affordable place to live that isn't too far away. I've never been to Virginia, so I have no idea what to expect when I get there. How much should I expect to pay to rent an apt? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Edit: Ok, now after looking over some other posts, I realize that I need to elaborate.

I will be moving with my fiance, and we are both 25ish. When I say safe, I mean the safest possible scenario you can come up with. Obviously, I know I won't be able to find a place that I can leave my purse hanging on my front door knob outside or anything ridiculous like that... But, I'm from a safe area in MO so I'm not used to an urban area. My hope is that I can feel safe going to bed in my apt alone if he is out of town.

If anyone would be willing, I would be super thankful if someone would describe the different areas or give me a link that will give me a better understanding of the area.

Now, when it comes to "affordable," I will be making about $40,000 a year and my fiance doesn't have a job lined up yet, and may even apply for graduate school. Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what I can be looking for.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tackett2004; 05-02-2009 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:06 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
I'd never heard of Lake Taylor Hospital. It looks like it's by Virginia Wesleyan. You could live in Norfolk or VA Beach. I really don't know much about that area, but it's not too far from chicks beach which is a nice area. These apartments are not to far from where you'll be working. They are very close to the beach too.

Virginia Beach Virginia Apartments - Home - Waterford Apartments

Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'd never heard of Lake Taylor Hospital. It looks like it's by Virginia Wesleyan. You could live in Norfolk or VA Beach. I really don't know much about that area, but it's not too far from chicks beach which is a nice area. These apartments are not to far from where you'll be working. They are very close to the beach too.

Virginia Beach Virginia Apartments - Home - Waterford Apartments
Lake Taylor is a rehabilitation center near the backside road to Walmart on Military Ave. With this being said, depending on if she cared to live near the college, there aren't very many affordable places in that area where it would be considered a safe haven. Especially with Lake Edwards just down the road. She could live anywhere really and have a pretty decent commute as all she would have to do is get off the interstate at Northhampton and take a left at USAA. Lake Taylor is about a half mile down the road.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:01 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Lake Taylor is a rehabilitation center near the backside road to Walmart on Military Ave. With this being said, depending on if she cared to live near the college, there aren't very many affordable places in that area where it would be considered a safe haven. Especially with Lake Edwards just down the road. She could live anywhere really and have a pretty decent commute as all she would have to do is get off the interstate at Northhampton and take a left at USAA. Lake Taylor is about a half mile down the road.

Actually Fairlawn and Hollywood arent too bad, and for the area, moderatley priced (both have houses under 200k if you look hard enough). Fairlawn actually borders this hospital, and Hollywood borders Fairlawn, and is about 2 minutes away from this hospital. However, both border Lake Edward, so you do have to deal with the gunshots and sirens going off over there, which can be nerve racking for a while.

The biggest problem with this couple though, is that $40,000 salary. Realistically, that will buy you pretty much nothing in all of Hampton Roads. Well, let me take that back, you might be able to get a small place in a questionable area (currently 1200 sqft houses and less are still up around 200k in Hollywood, even townhouses in Lake Edward are mostly over 150k), however, you better be willing to spit out well over 50% of your gross income on housing. If you add in utilities, you might have about 300-400 bucks a month for food, gas, car payments, cable/phone, etc.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times
Why buy when you can rent at half the price.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
Why buy when you can rent at half the price.

Rent largely isnt exactly half the price, Id say, for apartments, its about 3/4 for equivalent sqft, but to rent a house, its more expensive then buying. Although, there is a fairly cheap complex called Carolanne Farms that isnt far down the road from this place. Its in a decent area, in Virginia Beach. Dont know much about the complex itself, but its been below market for years.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times
My apartment rent = $1175. Nearby condo 2 years ago, no parking (have to buy spot from city). $399,999. LOLOLOL. I've got water view, lame condo didn't. 9' ceilings to accommodate 120" TV. Lame condo didn't.

Condo was stupid.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 PM

43 posts, read 102,481 times
I just got hired at Lake Taylor Hospital yesterday also!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNovitsky9 View Post
I just got hired at Lake Taylor Hospital yesterday also!

Congrats on the new job!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
My apartment rent = $1175. Nearby condo 2 years ago, no parking (have to buy spot from city). $399,999. LOLOLOL. I've got water view, lame condo didn't. 9' ceilings to accommodate 120" TV. Lame condo didn't.

Condo was stupid.

Yeah, but take smaller houses. Its not uncommon to see 800sqf apartments renting between $800-$1000 a month. Mortgage payments for a similiar size house would run just a tiny bit higher then that (about $900-$1200).

True, on the top end, rent is far cheaper, but at the lower end, rent and buying are very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area