Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM

368 posts, read 995,575 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So, my husband has accepted the position in Newport News and we are definitely moving to the peninsula area! Right now, we're trying to find a place to rent (short term) that is a reasonable commute to the Oyster Point area. Everything in Newport News that is available short term seems very expensive (like $1900/month!) or in a really bad area. Since it'll only be for a short time (just until we get our bearings and can figure out where we would like to stay more permanently) we were thinking of trying Williamsburg because the apartments seem to be a little bit more reasonable. But here's the question: Could these "reasonably priced" apartments in Williamsburg be in sketchy areas? Are there sketchy areas of Williamsburg? I'm so confused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM

44 posts, read 107,133 times
Default Harbours

About 5 years ago, while we were waiting for our house to finish being built, we moved into the Harbours apartments on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News for 6 months. Their month-to-month lease was more expensive than the longer term lease, but at the time, it was still no more than $900-$1000/month. It puts you VERY close to Oyster Point. What you're doing is a carbon-copy of what we did 12 years ago, and will definitely serve you well - once you're here, it's so much easier to talk to folks and look at what's available. Good Luck!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM

368 posts, read 995,575 times
Thank you so much for your reply! Trying to find a place from NY and knowing that we're going to be moving again so soon is kind of stressful, but I agree tha we'll be better off with a shorter term lease in the long run. We'll look into the Harbours--it's always so nice to have the recommendation of someone who actually lived there!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 AM

44 posts, read 107,133 times
Here's their info: The Harbours-501-E Waters Edge Drive Newport News, VA 23606 757-596-1662 - Apartment Search Results . Their prices seem a little old, but I don't know that they've gone up that much. We had an upstairs neighbor we called "thumper" - he wasn't a big guy, but he stomped around (it seemed) like a big guy. Other than that, we really liked it, for what it was (just a way-point for us). He would be about 2 minutes from Oyster point, and within a short walk to Port Warwick, and for the most part, City Center. Coming down from PA, I understand completely - you'll acclimate to the area pretty quickly, though. Good Luck with your move!!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,102 times
People are still real greedy. I've seen the cheap apartments on Craigslist as well, all up in the Williamsburg area. My initial guess is that there was over-building of apartments, and there just isn't any demand for them. Perhaps this is because most of the people up there are wealthier and own. Also, I'm not sure what the job scene is like up there.

I have relatives in yorktown area that are renting. They would buy, but the prices are stupid. They said if they don't come down to where it makes sense to buy they will just get xfer orders and leave the area. They like it, but it's not worth over paying.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM

9 posts, read 31,799 times
Check out Hiden north it's in the CNU area which is pretty decent and you can get a 3br apartment there for less than $900 a month with a 6 month lease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area