Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM

486 posts, read 1,942,265 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to a Washington Post article coming out next Sunday with some "offbeat local's favorites": The Long Weekend: Offbeat Virginia Beach Attractions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,412,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
Here's a link to a Washington Post article coming out next Sunday with some "offbeat local's favorites": The Long Weekend: Offbeat Virginia Beach Attractions
Great article! Yet, we still have "those" that aren't happy with anything.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,912,594 times
Good find! I might actually do some of those, haha.

Thanks for this!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 AM

43 posts, read 113,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Isn't that the truth! It's sad really, I had a friend the other day who wanted some info on the area and was going to post his question here and I told him not to bother, you'd just be inundated with negative responses about how bad the area is.

I've lived in a few different places on the east coast but spent a bit over 30 years in DC and NOVA and I'm really blown away by the amount of things to do in this area. This is really not that bad of an area.

@jhrichmond.. great article! I'm personally looking forward to the new exhibit at the VAB Aquarium. I also found the Kayak article interesting. It's something I've always wanted to try but living in DC I could do without the rash that would accompany me after kayaking in the toilet bowl known as the Potomac river.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 AM

5,039 posts, read 6,316,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
blah blah blah housing overpriced doom is coming blah blah

blah blah no good jobs lack of visionblah

blah economy is bad, military ruining it blah blah

blah blah blah you should leave because it's so horrible, but I am still here because I am apparantly a martyr martyr blah blah

blah blah nothing to do blah blah

There, now they don't have to post

Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 AM

520 posts, read 1,620,965 times
*Shrug* Don't shoot the messenger.

One of my dive buddies is from Washington DC.

I'm pretty sure there are places you could kayak outside of DC that aren't polluted. An hour down 66 and you're in like West Virginia, no?

(BTW, I never said there is nothing to do here. Most people say there is nothing to do where they live, but never visit their local attractions).

Old 05-29-2009, 12:22 PM

43 posts, read 113,232 times
No, an hour down 66 from DC and your sitting in traffic in Fairfax.

Man I don't miss that traffic.

And, to be fair.. the Potomac is only really really nasty near the city. There are some great bars on the water front that are accessible by car or boat but the smell from the river in the summer is unbearable. Further down I might even swim in it.. maybe.

The anacostia is the one that takes the brunt of DC's filth. DC's sewer system has major problems and when you get heavy rains the sewer overflows and sewage flows out of the manholes and ends up in the anacostia river..

What's funny is the EPA's headquarters in Federal Triangle is right down the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area