Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 PM

82 posts, read 313,837 times

Advertisements

I've lived here 9 years and am really not feeling it. I don't think I ever really have, but it's worse the past six months or so. It's never been "home" for me, and I don't completely hate the area - there are things I dislike, sure, but that's everywhere. What I really want is a more urban "city" feel than I get here. This whole area to me feels like one big sprawling suburb without a true city next to it.

I've always lived in Hampton/NN/York Co - but is the Southside really all that different? I like Ghent, but I wonder sometimes if I lived over there, if it would really feel all that "city" or if I would just feel like I was living in a small city-esque area inside a big old suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 PM

361 posts, read 1,464,940 times
The Peninsula really has more of an overall suburban fell to it. The southside, or Norfolk in particular is much more urban. Norfolk has Ghent, Larchmont, Freemason, Downtown that give more of an urban, city feel to the area. VB has the Town Center, but that is more artificially created and has not matured yet. Chesapeake and Suffolk are almost all suburban.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:48 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
If you're looking for urban in Hampton Roads, the Southside is really all you got. Norfolk and Portsmouth are the only cities I'd classify as "urban."

Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM

361 posts, read 1,464,940 times
Oh yeah, i forgot about Portsmouth...check out olde town, port norfolk and downtown portsmouth..there is ferry service connecting Portsmouth and norfolk

Old 06-02-2009, 03:21 PM

35 posts, read 102,619 times
If you want an urban feel, downtown Norfolk may be the way to go. I loved living in Ghent, walking to restaurants and the Naro, but it still had a neighborhood feel to me. In downtown Norfolk, you'd have a mall within walking distance, bars, restaurants, theaters (Scope, Chrysler Hall, Wells, Regal Cinema to name a few). There's even a grocery store down there now - you could practically be pedestrian if you wanted.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Oh yeah, i forgot about Portsmouth...
It happens.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:32 PM

82 posts, read 313,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
If you want an urban feel, downtown Norfolk may be the way to go. I loved living in Ghent, walking to restaurants and the Naro, but it still had a neighborhood feel to me. In downtown Norfolk, you'd have a mall within walking distance, bars, restaurants, theaters (Scope, Chrysler Hall, Wells, Regal Cinema to name a few). There's even a grocery store down there now - you could practically be pedestrian if you wanted.
True - it's so expensive though, I could be living in a bigger city for the amount I'd pay to rent down there. And I'd never be able to even think about buying on my salary. :-/

Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafepithecus View Post
True - it's so expensive though, I could be living in a bigger city for the amount I'd pay to rent down there. And I'd never be able to even think about buying on my salary. :-/
Downtown Norfolk/Ghent are expensive, but it's not entirely impossible to find affordable places. I was looking into moving to Ghent about a year ago, and I found a 2 bedroom for $850. I also saw some studios/1 bedrooms for less than $750. Not exactly dirt cheap, but still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area