Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 PM

71 posts, read 337,333 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking for awhile of starting up a little boutique in the Hampton Roads area and I wanted to get some feedback and advice. I recently graduated from VCU in May of 08 so I have a sizeable amount of student loan debt. That being said, it will be many years before this is something I can actually move forward with. Because of that, I want to take this time and do as much research as possible. I want it to focus mainly on accessories (jewelry, shoes, handbags) but also have clothing. I have always been a budget shopper and therefore would not want to have an expensive store. I was thinking along the lines of part consignment shop and part local designer's (affordable) pieces. What is the demand for that in this area, if any? I imagine VA Beach would be the best spot, but what do you think? I would be so greatful to any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 05:06 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
We have consignment shops here, one on VA beach blvd. if you want to check it out and get a feel for it. I miss the privately owned shops in general. There are so many franchise clothing stores, that everything is a repeat. There was a small women's clothing store I grew up with. Good quality clothing, decent price for the item and you didn't see someone else wearing what you just bought at a public function

Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 AM

88 posts, read 310,352 times
In this economy, i'm not sure that would be the greatest idea. I know there are several small shops that have closed recently in Virginia Beach. I know Cage closed recently after 39 years of being open. I'll include the article link below.

Virginia Beach clothing shop is closing after 39 years | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
Well there is definitely a much higher population in Va Beach as well as a lower average age. There are numerous consignment stores in Williamsburg. They always seem to do better in a down economy. None seem to be as nice as the ones I remember back in Washington DC. Having a wife who isn't that into fashion ( Thank you Lord !) doesn't allow me to give you much advice. I will poll the many women I work with to see their response. I'm with Town Center Gal on opening in this enviroment. If you are determined to go ointo business what about finding an existing store and see if you can become a partner and buy them out eventually.
I just had my hair cut at a lower priced hair cuttery in town. They said their business is down 25%. I wasn't thinking people would go without haircuts but apparently I was wrong.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM

71 posts, read 337,333 times
Thanks so far for everyone who's replied. It is sad to see what the economy has done to locally run stores, but I'm really hoping that in a few years when I'm actually more financially stable and have some loans paid off the economy will be more forgiving. That being said, how hard is it to get small business loans. How is store-front realty in VA Beach??

Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM

17 posts, read 50,868 times
Williamsburg is a tourist area, but nothing goes on at all after early fall until spring. Most restaurants, motels, etc. have to lay off employees and there are almost no jobs or tourists then.

I would go to Tidewater first. Location, loation, location! I think a business does better if it can attract both locals and tourists.

Good luck.

lindal

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times
A few just closed near me.

Indebted Americans shouldn't be spending money on junk, they should be paying their debts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area