U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 38,811 times

Advertisements

I live in Portsmouth. My husband and I ventured out to the boardwalk in VA Beach, and it was so crowded with famillies and obnoxious teenagers we didn't even get out of the car.

Is there a beach around here that is a) relatively easy to get to (as in not having to hike to it, driving a good distance is OK) and b) much less crowded?

My brother is coming down soon and he's never seen the ocean, and I want it to be a great experience when he does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,968,569 times
Sandbridge - if you go early enough you can park at the market ($5 I think) and walk right over to the beach. There are bathrooms and the beach is mainly nice families.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM

106 posts, read 357,117 times
I would second Sandbridge.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM

30,225 posts, read 36,704,945 times
And I third it. :-)

Of course you can always hit the north end too.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,545,844 times
Same here...Sandbridge is a nice quiet beach. Not the hype that the boardwalk has if you want a nice day, a picnic and quiet times.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 AM

325 posts, read 1,062,077 times
Sandbridge is very nice.....

Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,453,178 times
Sandbridge has always been known as the locals handout but it can be just as hard to find a place to park and feel just as crowded as the oceanfront depending on the time of day but yes it is the best local beach......If you have the time and really want to make it a special time for your brother I would take him down to the Outer Banks to either the Avon, Buxton or Hatteras area. There are many places to park along Hwy 12 and with just a short walk over the dunes you have a beach that is pretty much just yours alone.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,968,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Sandbridge has always been known as the locals handout but it can be just as hard to find a place to park and feel just as crowded as the oceanfront depending on the time of day but yes it is the best local beach......If you have the time and really want to make it a special time for your brother I would take him down to the Outer Banks to either the Avon, Buxton or Hatteras area. There are many places to park along Hwy 12 and with just a short walk over the dunes you have a beach that is pretty much just yours alone.
I do like the Outer Banks. However, you really need to go on a weekday - the traffic getting in town on the weekend is insane!!! It is an easy day trip if you can avoid the weekly renters in the summer. If you just want to hang out on the beach, then Sandbridge is still your best bet since it is closer.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,399,996 times
Sandbridge, North End, and Chicks Beach are the only ones I go to. Chicks isn't the ocean though (it's the Bay), so if you're brother wants to experience some waves don't go there. Head to the North End or Sandbridge for that kind of stuff. However, if you're looking for a nice place to sit, picnic, relax, maybe even nap for a bit, Chicks is definitely good for that.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,453,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I do like the Outer Banks. However, you really need to go on a weekday - the traffic getting in town on the weekend is insane!!! It is an easy day trip if you can avoid the weekly renters in the summer. If you just want to hang out on the beach, then Sandbridge is still your best bet since it is closer.
I agree the best bet is to arrive early in the day, most of the rentals cant check in until the afternoon and most times they plan their arrival close to those afternoon hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: