Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM

30 posts, read 133,488 times

Advertisements

I recently was offered a job for an insurance company. I had went through several interviews as well as assessment testing. There is a training class and the position does not start until May. I received a note from the employer today that stated there was a discrepancy from my background check sheet where I stated my GPA was 3.4 and the transcript the background company located that the GPA was 3.1. This was an honest mistake as I had graduated five years ago and thought my GPA was higher. I sent an email explaining that I did not have a transcript and that I was estimating. He has not gotten back to me on weather I still have the position. What do you think?? Has anyone ever had a similar problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:44 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,233,046 times
I have not had a similar problem, but really, you did not 'lose' the job because you were only a potential employee and not yet an employee. Hopefully they will read your email and understand the mistake.

If they don't, maybe you dont want to work there... Good luck in everything...

Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,408,397 times
cinder...great advice!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 PM

28 posts, read 94,499 times
I agree as well. Clearly if they do not see that it was an honest mistake ( since i know i can barely remember what i ate for breakfast yesterday never mind my gpa from 5 years ago) than chances are you do not want to work.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 PM

209 posts, read 768,488 times
Because, as we all know, GPA actually means something 5 years after you have left high school/college.

Don't worry about it. I can't see them using that as a reason to not employ you. I have never had an employer ever ask me for my GPA. Most want to know my recent experience. Even if they did get my GPA, it has nothing to do with my current work. I don't want to disclose what I do, but it would be something akin to... me going to college for cooking then getting a job in Firefighting and them hiring me because I had a 4.0 in college. I mean really, I failed Fireology 101.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 PM

530 posts, read 1,159,437 times
I don't know how to say this without sounding harsh--but if you were not sure of your GPA, why would you put it on your resume at all? To me, it shows a little bit of poor judgment to put something on your resume you are so unsure about. I don't know if it would stop you from getting the job, but I do think it might make the employer at least hesitate for a moment. Anyway, it sounds like you might need to call the company to confirm if your start date is still on the schedule.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:10 PM

28 posts, read 94,499 times
Good point shoobie. I have never been asked my gpa either. In fact my boss at my current job will only hire people based on experience.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
chalk it up as a lesson on further applications be more accurate.
you can't lose something you never had.
go forward.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM

30 posts, read 133,488 times
Thanks for all the replys! The reason I said I had lost the job was just because I had signed all the paper work and was hired. I guess since the work had not started yet you could say I was not yet employed. I will definitely put the accurate GPA from now on I did not put the my GPA on my resume but rather they asked for it after they offered me the position on a background check form

Old 04-26-2008, 02:49 PM

123 posts, read 532,509 times
This actually happened to me about two years ago, and they did rescind the offer. I think that I put down that I had a 3.4 and they said I had a 3.2. I absolutely could not believe it. My wife and I were devastated, but in the long run it worked out to be a lot better for us. So in hindsight I am glad that they rescinded it because I landed a far better paying job that I really like, but at the time it really sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area