Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 AM

13 posts, read 58,461 times

Advertisements

Hey all....I am considering relocating to VA Beach from Central NJ. Been to the area a bunch of times and I believe I have all the info I need (thanks in part to a bunch of these threads) but I do have an odd question. Does VA Beach have a bunch gators and snakes around? From the feel that I got from the area I would have to say that none would be crossing my path but I just want to be sure. I asked about gators and snakes in the lakes at apartment complexes and I was told there was none around. I understand there are things in lakes and ponds but what I guess I am most concerned about is seeing something questionable outside my apartment complex, on my deck, near my car, ect...I know they are around and all places have them...just wondering if VA beach had more then average I guess. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
--Sam
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 AM

6,293 posts, read 10,536,542 times
There are snakes. Especially if your complex backs a wooded area. That being said as long as you stay out of the woods you'll"ll be fine. I did live at a complex off Bonny Rd that warned us of copperheads n the property, but I never saw them. I've never heard of gators in the area. Just a lot of rabbits and a few bears.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 AM

128 posts, read 626,786 times
Different areas of VB have different snakes. I don't think I've ever heard of gators in this vacinity. I know to the south (Pungo & backbay refuge) there are countless Cottonmouths but I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone being bitten. 20 years ago. I do know that an area around Stumpy Lake golf course has Cane Brake rattlesnakes. I some of the rural areas and parks there is bound to be some Copperheads. I would imagine 99 out of 100 people here haven't seen any kind of snake in a long time. Over development tends to chase them away.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,991,709 times
No gators but you will find some snakes around marshy or wet areas, see one or two of them as roadkill about every week along the stretch of Indian River Rd that I travel

Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 AM

18,839 posts, read 14,024,084 times
Once, while tramping through the swamps of Back Bay, I met up with a snake. At first I didn't realize I was looking at a snake, because it was standing upright - like a stick - four feet high. I froze. It froze. I backed up. It coiled back down, and skidded off in the opposite direction.

I followed its example and retreated.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,910,187 times
I've lived in Virginia Beach for 13 years now and I can't remember the last time I saw a snake. I live closer to the beach though. That may have something to do with it, I don't really know.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 PM

371 posts, read 1,186,074 times
I'd be more worried about the Mosquitoes!!! (And the bad drivers in the area!!!)

Old 07-04-2009, 07:02 PM

106 posts, read 382,571 times
There are a lot of snakes, mostly black snakes and garters. Canebrakes rattlers and cottonmouths are the only ones that are poisonous that I know of in this area, and like Grendel says, I've lived here 25 years and have never seen a poisonous snake, but plenty of garters. Eastern garter snakes look like juvenile diamondbacks, sort of.

Be forewarned, if you see a canebrake rattler, it's a federal offense to kill it and can get you 5 years in prison and a $25000 fine.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,536,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit View Post
There are a lot of snakes, mostly black snakes and garters. Canebrakes rattlers and cottonmouths are the only ones that are poisonous that I know of in this area, and like Grendel says, I've lived here 25 years and have never seen a poisonous snake, but plenty of garters. Eastern garter snakes look like juvenile diamondbacks, sort of.

Be forewarned, if you see a canebrake rattler, it's a federal offense to kill it and can get you 5 years in prison and a $25000 fine.
If it's me or the snake the snake is going down.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 AM

85 posts, read 318,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit View Post

OMG most people that live here NEVER see a snake at all.....and if it was me and a rattlesnake......The snake would be DEAD FINE OR NO FINE.

I have lived here almost my entire life and have NEVER seen a rattlesnake and most people you talk to would say they have never seen a snake more less a rattlesnake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area