Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,209,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oduhoo View Post
Well then, enjoy living in hell. It amazes me how some people will continue to bash an area where they live. . . and then continue to live there! Idiocy I say!
Moving takes money. You are welcome to contribute to the help move Randomdude to another location fund. Until that point, I am stuck here, slowly scraping together what I need to go with.

Quote:
If you don't like it here please stop posting on this site and take matters into your own hands.
You have no authority to request anyone stop posting any where. If my posting of fact offends you, that is a you problem.

Quote:
Pollute some other forum or find a way to make it financially/socially in Hampton Roads so you can be happy with your life situation.
I will post where ever I please. When you become a site administrator, you can tell me where to post.

Quote:
I guarantee for every negative survey one can find a positive one. Anyone read Men's Health mag? Well, seel below.

Best Life/Men's Health magazine offers another guide to where the best places are to raise a family.

Their top picks?
  1. Honolulu, Hawaii
  2. Virginia Beach, Virginia
  3. Billings, Montana
  4. Columbus, Georgia
  5. San Diego, California
They make these claims based on the availability of good schools with favorable student-teacher ratios and above-average test scores, and the availability of museums, parks, and pediatricians.
Good thing parks and student teacher ratios are more important then eating or housing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You're the one who considers this to be a hole, and you are the one who appears to be festering.
I am festering, but with the intention of leaving. One day I will be free of this waste pit.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,358,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I am festering, but with the intention of leaving. One day I will be free of this waste pit.
Maybe you should be out working more, instead of posting here

It would help you leave faster, and we would all be the better for it. Take Telemonster with you, also.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Maybe you should be out working more, instead of posting here

It would help you leave faster, and we would all be the better for it. Take Telemonster with you, also.

You ever consider the fact that Im heavily underemployed allows me ample time to post WHILE at work?

By the way, every time someone like myself or Telemonster leaves, this area takes a step backward. One colossal problem with this area is that it has no desire to retain its young, intellegent, highly trained/skilled professionals. We simply leave to a greener pasture instead of being abused here.

The area really should figure out why so many of us are leaving or complaining, and fix it, not reply with "good riddance". We are the future, not the waitstaff and transient military that makes up most of the 22-30 demographic sticking around for "the beach".

Any how, I guess thats why places like New York City, Seattle, the NC research triangle, Washington DC and Silicon Valley are what they are, and this place is what it is.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
So, when I woke up this morning to check the news, I see an article by Forbes posted on Yahoo "Most and Least Family Friendly Cities"

What the article is primarily quoting is how much it cost a family to live in any given area based on the prevailing household income.

So where do I find Virgina Beach? On the worst cities list, where it takes a full 81% of household income for a family to survive. The oddest thing is, Virginia Beach is the lamest city outside of Providence, Rhode Island on the whole list. As depressed as Cleveland is, it has 3 major league teams and far more corporate presence and culture then Va Beach.

Here is our own Virginia Beach's slide

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/29/cities-family-affordable-lifestyle-real-estate-cities-family_slide_12.html?thisSpeed=3000

How many of these lists need to come out before the Hampton Roads apologists simply accept that Hampton Roads is an ass stain on the shorts of the United States. A complete waste of a deep water covered port.

Geographically, Virginia Beach/Norfolk could have been another New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore or Boston. Instead, its a festering tourist trap.

Just a couple weekends ago, I was in Silver Spring, MD, population less then 100k, and it has a downtown and corporate presence that this pit down here can only drool over. I was amazed.

Im completely dumbfounded as to why this area cant put anything together outside of replacing the sand on the beach and partnering with developers to build endless McMansions.
anyone that puts much weight into any of these studies will believe anything including that Santa Claus is alive and well, after all these years. Next month Forbes will come out with a report advising everyone to flock to VB...

I think you should consider moving to an area that meets your needs a little more, but in the meanwhile stop believing these reports. Forbes has a new one out every other day..

Nita

Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
1. Cost of living is relative. Id rather make 70k in Manhattan, NY, then 30k in Virginia Beach, Va.
2. Cost of living figures are highly skewed, largely inaccurate, and not dependable at best.
so are the studies you are reading in Forbes. All of these are...

I can't believe I am even posting here, I haven't lived in Va for 20 years but I did your post caught my eye...

Nita

Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,358,816 times
Quote:
The area really should figure out why so many of us are leaving or complaining, and fix it, not reply with "good riddance".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude
How many of these lists need to come out before the Hampton Roads apologists simply accept that Hampton Roads is an ass stain on the shorts of the United States. A complete waste of a deep water covered port.
I assumed you believed what you said about Hampton Roads being an ass stain on the shorts of the United States.

Pardon me for not thinking you are part of the solution, I must have been swayed by comments like the "complete waste one."

I mean really, are we supposed to think you are trying to make the area better with postings like that? OR just bitching and complaining?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 PM

88 posts, read 292,689 times
Okay I see where you're coming from and I feel the same way about Richmond. However, Hampton Roads is a military town and Richmond is happy being "historic". So like everybody else said people like us need to move to areas where we would be happier with the life style offered rather than trying to change the people who are happy where they are. Obviously Virginia is happy with being able to drive to DC if they want to watch pro sports amoungst other activities. But if VA was just like DC what would either of them special? Leave VA. Go to MD and I'll be up there to join you shortly.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,026,888 times
Quote:
1. Cost of living is relative. Id rather make 70k in Manhattan, NY, then 30k in Virginia Beach, Va.
2. Cost of living figures are highly skewed, largely inaccurate, and not dependable at best.

That is a common answer the OP normally gives when someone else can dispute the OP opinions with facts and stats that dont agree with the OP's original thinking........

Old 07-01-2009, 02:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,016,353 times
Randomdude wrote:
Instead of festering, which is likely to make your stay in HR a longer one, make up your mind to make the most of your remaining time in HR. See the good in front of you ( that won't take away the things you don't like, but the crap won't be such a big deal anymore ). The change in attitude will magically speed up time for you, and change your mindset to one that will more easily recognize the ongoing opportunities to leave HR and live in a place that suits you better. Yes, the opportunities are ALWAYS there, but in the festering mode, you won't be able to recognize an opportunity if it hit you over the head. Let it go. Festerig is just keeping you stuck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area