Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM

388 posts, read 855,977 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
Me and my family lived in Norfolk off of Little Creek road from 90 to Jan. 09. We moved away from there because last couple of jobs I had were low on work and Laid me off. No not fired! Is there any plumbing companies up there hiring again? Any input would be appreciated! Down here in Mississippi can't find a darn thing! Oh got a job at the local Dominoes pizza joint. I found out that once they find out your from out of town here especially from the North they will not hire you. And unfortunately thats a dead give away being thay when you fill out an application you have to put down the last place of employment. Needless to say we Are having a very bad time down here and are currently having to sell things just to make it. Our credit is shot to !^@* and back. And ofcourse going to have to find a place to stay up there, that is my next question. Any suggestions?
Allen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Why did you go to Mississippi in search of work? You could have picked about 49 other states and made a better decision.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 AM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
My wifes mom told us that we should have no problem finding a job down here and we became dilussional due to the dillemma we were having there.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
My wifes mom told us that we should have no problem finding a job down here and we became dilussional due to the dillemma we were having there.

I can understand that. Financial problems can force you in to brisk and rash decisions.

Its times like those that I wish people would simply be honest about where they live instead of trumping them up with some sort of home town zealotry and leading desperate people down bad paths.

For instance, on this board, people paint this area out to be great. Its not. Thats a fact. They will jump all over the people that try to spread the truth.

Any how, I cant help you much as for finding plumbing work, but I can tell you that skilled construction trades, outside of shipboard ones, are paid below the national average here. I actually discovered that last week while discussing another issue on this board. Additionally, Hampton Roads growth, outside of Suffolk, has pretty much ground to a halt, which means new construction is likely not going to pick up for a long while, and most work to be had will be in renovation, which nobody is doing in this economy.

That would lead me to believe that Hampton Roads is probably below average nationally for serious prospects in construction. Personal story, my mom hired a very talented contractor who was skilled in almost all levels of construction to redo the rental house I am sitting in right now about a year ago. He did an excellent job. He is now working part time at Home Depot.

Two places that seem fairly interesting to me for construction are Texas (which is in a perpetual state of growth, has a low cost of living in many places, and never "overbuilt" like Phoenix, south Florida or Las Vegas) and the Seattle area, which has a few surprisingly affordable suburbs that a construction salary may be able to achieve a decent standard of living.

What is awesome about Seattle is that almost 50% of the pop has a bachelors degree, and there is a positive growth, which means that they probably have a continuous need for non-degreed labor of many kinds. Most folks with a computer science degree dont want to pick up a hammer, its that simple.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
I have family and friends in the construction industry in various places in the US and Canada, and they ALL say that their usual business is very slow to non-existent. They have been downsized from home builders and remodelers to doers of odd jobs.

On the boards in most locales ( not just Hampton Roads ), the locals seem to resent anyone pointing out the perceived flaws of the place, preferring instead to make the place seem like a bed of roses. The most helpful information is generally a list of the pros and cons instead of focusing exclusively on either side of the coin. The opinions of those who focus only on one side or the other are likely to be carry little wieght because no one is stupid enough to believe that any one place is ALL positive or ALL negative. It's always a mix of the two. On top of that little bit of common sense, it's important to recognize that EVERYTHING expressed on these boards is someones opinion. Take it ALL with a bag of salt. Spend time in the area where you'd like to live and form your OWN opinions based on your experience there, because YOUR opinion is the only one that matters.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Hello everyone!
Me and my family lived in Norfolk off of Little Creek road from 90 to Jan. 09. We moved away from there because last couple of jobs I had were low on work and Laid me off. No not fired! Is there any plumbing companies up there hiring again? Any input would be appreciated! Down here in Mississippi can't find a darn thing! Oh got a job at the local Dominoes pizza joint. I found out that once they find out your from out of town here especially from the North they will not hire you. And unfortunately thats a dead give away being thay when you fill out an application you have to put down the last place of employment. Needless to say we Are having a very bad time down here and are currently having to sell things just to make it. Our credit is shot to !^@* and back. And ofcourse going to have to find a place to stay up there, that is my next question. Any suggestions?
Allen
Your best bet is to check with the local shipyards in Hampton Roads, depending on where in Mississippi you are you could check with the shipyards along the coast down there also

Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,630 times
If you're younger than 42 you can join the Army.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:32 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times
Allen, you should have known better than moving to a town of less than 3,000 people and expecting more job opportunities than Norfolk...

Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Your best bet is to check with the local shipyards in Hampton Roads, depending on where in Mississippi you are you could check with the shipyards along the coast down there also
They are closing shipyards in Texas. I would suggest coming back here and applying. NGNN and NNSY's are hiring.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
They are closing shipyards in Texas. I would suggest coming back here and applying. NGNN and NNSY's are hiring.
I was thinking more along the lines of Ingalls shipyard in Pascagoula Mississippi, they employee more then 10K people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area