U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM

19 posts, read 64,637 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this morning I was notified that my orders have been changed to Langley AFB. I am from NYC and have never been to VA. I would appreciate some advice on which area would be best for a 29 year old single woman like myself. I have no children, so I don't care about the school system. I'm interested in an area that is racially diverse and has a good presence of singles like myself, with good shopping, recreation and nightlife. I would like to keep my commute at no more than 30 minutes and I can pay upwards of $1300 a month for a 1 bedroom. Based on reading the forums, Hampton or Newport News sounds like my best bet. Is my wishlist realistic or is there no areas that fit the things I'm looking for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM

361 posts, read 1,383,186 times
Hampton and NN sound like a good fit for you. In Hampton check out the Downtown area, and Colisuem area.. One apt complex off the top of my head is Addison in Col area. In NN, check out Port Warwick, City Center, Kiln Creek and Stony Run.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM

Thanks damien. About what is the average commute time for both Hampton and NN to Langley?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM

both areas I mentioned above will take between 15 to 20 minutes to Langley. The coliseum area is closer to 10 min. You dont even have to go interstate with both those areas and even if you do, you dont need to cross a bridge or tunnel

Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 AM

That's perfect! So glad I came here for advice.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 AM

25,584 posts, read 37,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNatural View Post
Hello everyone, this morning I was notified that my orders have been changed to Langley AFB. I am from NYC and have never been to VA. I would appreciate some advice on which area would be best for a 29 year old single woman like myself. I have no children, so I don't care about the school system. I'm interested in an area that is racially diverse and has a good presence of singles like myself, with good shopping, recreation and nightlife. I would like to keep my commute at no more than 30 minutes and I can pay upwards of $1300 a month for a 1 bedroom. Based on reading the forums, Hampton or Newport News sounds like my best bet. Is my wishlist realistic or is there no areas that fit the things I'm looking for?
One complex you may want to check out is Falcon Creek. You can't beat the commute to Langley (about 5-10 min). The area is one of the safest in Hampton.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
One complex you may want to check out is Falcon Creek. You can't beat the commute to Langley (about 5-10 min). The area is one of the safest in Hampton.
And from there, you are 10 min to Coliseum area, and 15 to both Downtown Hmpt or City Center/Port Warwick in NN

Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 PM

I'm a city girl used to having everything outside my doorstep, so this area sounds like exactly what I'm looking for Thanks guys for your input.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNatural View Post
I'm a city girl used to having everything outside my doorstep, so this area sounds like exactly what I'm looking for Thanks guys for your input.
dont get too excited BK, this area is pretty sprawled out suburban, and you definitely need a car to get around. The above places I mentioned do offer a somewhat "city" or "urban" lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area