Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM

25 posts, read 59,876 times

Advertisements

I know experience varies, but what is the general sense about attitudes toward newcomers from New England? I have the potential to get a job in the U.S. Public Health Commissioned Corps in the Norfolk/Portsmouth area. I would be coming with my Japanese wife and two bi-racial children, ages 9 and 7. I am from a small town in Maine but have lived in Boston, NY and Osaka, Japan. The truth is that my wife hates living in Maine (very cold, no diversity) and I have applied to the US PHS for the behavioral health partnership with the DOD to provide counseling (I am a clinical social worker). She is getting certified in ESL and could teach Japanese. Should I be lucky enough to be hired, the possible choices are Schoffield Barracks in Honolulu, Portsmouth Naval Hospital and Fort Bragg, NC. So, I am trying to decide the best place for my family. We would like to live in an area with good community feel and good schools in Hampton Roads area. Chesapeake and VA Beach are two areas I would consider. I would like to know what others experiences are. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:22 AM

26 posts, read 117,973 times
I moved here from RI and I was lucky enough to move to a neighborhood where everyone came and introduced themselves within that weekend.. I have never moved...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,173,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bolduc View Post
I know experience varies, but what is the general sense about attitudes toward newcomers from New England? I have the potential to get a job in the U.S. Public Health Commissioned Corps in the Norfolk/Portsmouth area. I would be coming with my Japanese wife and two bi-racial children, ages 9 and 7. I am from a small town in Maine but have lived in Boston, NY and Osaka, Japan. The truth is that my wife hates living in Maine (very cold, no diversity) and I have applied to the US PHS for the behavioral health partnership with the DOD to provide counseling (I am a clinical social worker). She is getting certified in ESL and could teach Japanese. Should I be lucky enough to be hired, the possible choices are Schoffield Barracks in Honolulu, Portsmouth Naval Hospital and Fort Bragg, NC. So, I am trying to decide the best place for my family. We would like to live in an area with good community feel and good schools in Hampton Roads area. Chesapeake and VA Beach are two areas I would consider. I would like to know what others experiences are. Thanks.

A few things

1. You are connected to the government, so your salary should be fairly high, comparitively, to the rest of us. Problem is, it appears you are in a field that pays dirt (counseling?). The Hampton Roads area has a tremendously high cost of living, with Virginia Beach and Chesapeake being the highest. However, of your choices, only Fort Bragg would solve that. Central NC has a far lower cost of living then Hampton Roads or Hawaii.

2. Its certainly not cold. We rarely get snow, and most winter days are in the 40's. However, all three of your choices would get you out of the snow and frigid temps.

3. Diversity. Well, its fairly diverse, even Virginia Beach is only like 60% white. However, the integration of this diversity leaves something to desire, especially in the two cities you listed. The highest Asian population is of Filipino decent, and I dont think there are very many people of Japanese decent around. One of the more common interracial combinations in the area is white man/asian woman, so you will not stick out like the proverbial sore thumb like you probably do in Maine, which is one of the "whitest" states in the country.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, my pay would be very decent as a commissioned officer in the public health corps (same as officer in military) and I would get a housing allowance. I haven't even got a job offer yet, so a lot of this is preliminary research but I'm the type of person who likes to gather info to make an informed choice. Is there anyone on this forum who either (a) works for the Public Health Corps or (b) knows someone who does? I'd love to hear about their experience (both pros and cons).

Old 07-20-2009, 08:39 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,998,925 times
With the large military presence around here, families moving in and out occurs often in many neighborhoods around Hampton Roads and most people think nothing of it......You should not have any problems relocation to this area....Both Va Bch and Chesapeake have a number of good schools

Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,173,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bolduc View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, my pay would be very decent as a commissioned officer in the public health corps (same as officer in military) and I would get a housing allowance. I haven't even got a job offer yet, so a lot of this is preliminary research but I'm the type of person who likes to gather info to make an informed choice. Is there anyone on this forum who either (a) works for the Public Health Corps or (b) knows someone who does? I'd love to hear about their experience (both pros and cons).

Well, if you are getting officer pay and housing benefits, then Hampton Roads will be great for you!

Low crime, beach is right there, decent schools.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,320,349 times
Most of HR has a small town feel and the people are friendly everywhere I go. Coming from the big surburban area of Northern Virginia, I like this about HR.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM

520 posts, read 1,621,977 times
Everyone here is a transplant. Most of them have no right to complain.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 PM

78 posts, read 222,312 times
I am from Maine originally.. Born and raised first 30 years of my life!! ... Came here via Nebraska though... we are military.....I have been in VA Beach since Feb... and all have been very welcoming to me......I love it here!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Staytuned,

Nice to chat with a fellow Mainer (or Maniac)! In some ways, I would be sad to leave Maine b/c family is here but in most other ways I am ready for a change. I'm glad that you feel at home there. From the threads that I have read, there seems to be a split between career military folks who love HR, the locals and non-military transplants who say it is not a good area to raise a family. But, from my own research, the public schools in the HR area sound better than around Fayetville, NC (there are position at Fort Bragg I am considering). Anyway, thanks for responding to my post.

-Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area