Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times

Advertisements

So I posted here earlier about Va. beach but after speaking to the Hr lady she mentioned they were building a new location so now I am now looking at moving to the Williamsburg area. I may be offered a job (interview next week but sounds promising) with Harris Teeter at the new Villiage of Quarterpath store that will open in November. Does anyone have any good suggestions about what apartments I should look at? are there any "historic" privatly owned apartments anywhere near there? I am not a big complex kind of guy but I could deal if they were nice enough. I have be realistic when it comes down to price range because from what I've seen your lucky if you get into a good complex for $800. Also is there plenty to do there for a guy in his mid-20's?(I dont want to be bored!) Williamsburg appeals to me because it is much closer to my family in Richmond than where I am now (Roanoke) without actually being in Richmond Any suggestions, adivise or help with be greatly appreciated!- Teebyrd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
Teebyrd have followed your posts about Ukrops on the Roanoke list. Surprised that you are thinking of moving. Although my family and I love Williamsburg I don't think I would recommend it to you. We are a small town kind of like Mayberry. The entire area ) City of Williamsburg, James City County, Upper York County) has a population in the 70k range. The city of Williamsburg has a population of around 12k. Roanoke MSA has almost 300k.
My wife and I are in our 30's and 40's although we love it here. But we have already lived in larger metropolitan areas ( washington DC ) in our 20's. Williamsburg might be kind of boring as far as night life is concerned. We do have some but it's limited.I see you are considering VA Beach as well. If I were in my 20's and single I would choose Va Beach or Newport News/ Hampton over Williamsburg hands down.

Once you hit your 30's, marry and have kids ( like us) then Williamsburg is the place to be..I have heard from most that it takes at least $1k monthly to get an apartment that they like.

Rents are higher due to William and Mary College being nearby. Not much in the way of historic apartments like you are thinking.

You can explore places to rent at the housing website for William and Mary , www.Craigslist.com www.MilitarybyOwner.com and possibly our local paper The Daily Press

Why don't you take a long weekend and explore the area. Spend a night in Va Beach, Newport News and Williamsburg and see what you think.

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
Teebyrd have followed your posts about Ukrops on the Roanoke list. Surprised that you are thinking of moving. Although my family and I love Williamsburg I don't think I would recommend it to you. We are a small town kind of like Mayberry. The entire area ) City of Williamsburg, James City County, Upper York County) has a population in the 70k range. The city of Williamsburg has a population of around 12k. Roanoke MSA has almost 300k.
My wife and I are in our 30's and 40's although we love it here. But we have already lived in larger metropolitan areas ( washington DC ) in our 20's. Williamsburg might be kind of boring as far as night life is concerned. We do have some but it's limited.I see you are considering VA Beach as well. If I were in my 20's and single I would choose Va Beach or Newport News/ Hampton over Williamsburg hands down.

Once you hit your 30's, marry and have kids ( like us) then Williamsburg is the place to be..I have heard from most that it takes at least $1k monthly to get an apartment that they like.

Rents are higher due to William and Mary College being nearby. Not much in the way of historic apartments like you are thinking.

You can explore places to rent at the housing website for William and Mary , www.Craigslist.com www.MilitarybyOwner.com and possibly our local paper The Daily Press

Why don't you take a long weekend and explore the area. Spend a night in Va Beach, Newport News and Williamsburg and see what you think.

Good luck in your search.
I appreciate your honestly and good looking out. I am actually a bit familiar with Williamsburg due to the fact that my aunt lives there. My parents (and rest my family) live on the eastern edge of Richmond and from Williamsburg I can be at there home in less than 35 min. I am considering moving for various reasons but the main one on my list is to be a bit closer to my family without having to actually live in Richmond. I understand Williamsburg dosnt have a ton of night life but, I am honestly not the night life kind of guy. But I dont want to be bored & I enjoy having a few cold ones with friends (are they easy to make?, I am a social guy) at the local bar/resturant but as far as night clubs and what not they are not for me. I am not a typical 23 year old in the fact that I enjoy staying in and relaxing after work than heading to the night club. I also love the historical aspects of Williamsburg and the closeness of Va beach without actually being there, as well as being close to Bush Gardens. One thing I love about Roanoke is the laid back atmosphere and nice locals all of which Williamsburg seems to have. The hr lady for HT did mention sending me to Nova but I am just not Nova person. Again thanks so much for your honesty and care! and Ps. My mom and I are going to take a day to go to Williamsburg next Wednesday, visit my aunt and scope out the area and what not... Since I havent been there in a while.

Last edited by Teebyrd86; 07-23-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Just a word of caution though, there is some African who is very aggressive on craigslist with scams on the Hampton Roads thread. I have inquired about several properties on craigslist and have run into some African who wants me to wire him money so many times! I wish I had a number to tell you of how many times but I don't its so much. I hate to give up on craigs but I have only found one authentic gentleman who was seriously renting out his home. So, like craigs suggests, NEVER deal with someone who is living in another country, especially in Africa and NEVER wire any money.
Good luck!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:44 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
FYI. There is a major scam on Craigslist where someone hijacks a rental home listing by re-posting and then attempts to re-rent a home that isnt' theirs. That's probably what you are experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area