U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM

40 posts, read 140,704 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Last month when we were driving through VA, despite trying to be careful, my husband got a reckless driving ticket in Eastville, VA (80/55). Obviously, we were not being careful enough. Anyways, now he is facing a class I misdemeanor and its his first violation ever. We did get our speedometer calibrated, which is off by 2 mph. I have spoken to a few attorneys who are willing to go to Northampton County court in Eastville, VA and represent us. But I can’t figure out whom to pick from just talking to them. So, I decided to turn to you guys for recommendations – in case you have experience yourselves/through friends and family with anyone I mention below or someone else. The attorneys I have spoken to are: Anthony Montagna, Dan Miller, Kuligowski, Watson and Jack Wescott. The prices range from $250-800. I would appreciate any help I can get in finding a good attorney (even someone different from above-mentioned ones) and getting us out of the mess we got ourselves into.

Thanks a ton

AA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,713,411 times
Cant help you out on which attorney to get but either way pick one because the "trying to be careful" bit wont work in court

Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Cant help you out on which attorney to get but either way pick one because the "trying to be careful" bit wont work in court
Thanks so much. I am desperately trying to find a good lawyer. They all sound the same. Even if with the minor issue of speedometer, we can manage to bring it down to 19 over the speed limit, its still a 30d suspension in NC where we live. And i dont know how we will manage that 'cos my husband, being a Professor in a Univ down here has to work late/has meetings at odd hours and we have a small kid to add to that! So, keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks though for your advice. Also, wondering if I posted it in the correct VA forum.. eastville will fall under the hampton roads, right?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_730 View Post
Thanks so much. I am desperately trying to find a good lawyer. They all sound the same. Even if with the minor issue of speedometer, we can manage to bring it down to 19 over the speed limit, its still a 30d suspension in NC where we live. And i dont know how we will manage that 'cos my husband, being a Professor in a Univ down here has to work late/has meetings at odd hours and we have a small kid to add to that! So, keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks though for your advice. Also, wondering if I posted it in the correct VA forum.. eastville will fall under the hampton roads, right?
Eastville really does not fall under Hampton Roads so you may want to post this under the Va section of the forum where you may get a better response.......hard to say what they judge will do, if it was reckless due to just speeding getting the charge lowered to improper driving or to just a normal speeding charge may be a possibility but 25 over is still 25 over so don't be surprised when the judge refuses to lower the charge, Now if other factors come into play to enhance the reckless charge (weather, unsafe lane changes etc) then the possibility of a much harsher punishment is even greater......No matter who you two pick to represent your husband the total monetary cost is going to be well up there and now is not the time to try and save a few bucks because if found guilty of reckless you can expect somewhere around that 250 dollar fine and at least 30 days on the license...And if you lose your right to drive in VA the state of NC will uphold those findings and you can not drive be able to drive in NC either....then you have reinstatement fee's and insurance issues etc.......see where I am going with this....hire a very good lawyer....

Last edited by rtandc; 08-06-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Also Rt 13 (I am guessing that is where your husband got the ticket) on the eastern shore is known as a speed trap so any lawyer in that area that has any type of experence will know all too well how the local judges normally handle reckless driving cases and will be able to tell you what to expect as far as punishment

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Also Rt 13 (I am guessing that is where your husband got the ticket) on the eastern shore is known as a speed trap so any lawyer in that area that has any type of experence will know all too well how the local judges normally handle reckless driving cases and will be able to tell you what to expect as far as punishment
Yes, Rt 13 it was! Thanks for all your advice. About lawyers in that area, the ones I talked to - one of them says his office is down the street from court house and is a substitute judge but I just saw some disciplinary action against him for not filing appeals for one of his clients and for ignoring letters from client. I was initially thinking of going with him! And another one has like 6 disciplinary actions against him. Cant find/understand the details of these actions. So, its becoming a little bit harder to figure out. other lawyers are not local but from VA beach area. anyways, hopefully we will be able to reduce the punishment and wont get a suspension. Monetary loss is one thing- having it on ur record permanently (thats what NC does) is another!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
.....No matter who you two pick to represent your husband the total monetary cost is going to be well up there and now is not the time to try and save a few bucks because if found guilty of reckless you can expect somewhere around that 250 dollar fine and at least 30 days on the license...And if you lose your right to drive in VA the state of NC will uphold those findings and you can not drive be able to drive in NC either....then you have reinstatement fee's and insurance issues etc.......see where I am going with this....hire a very good lawyer....
Yes, we understand and are willing to pay the lawyer but the big Q is: how do we find a good lawyer? who is a good lawyer? They all sound pretty much the same...

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_730 View Post
Yes, we understand and are willing to pay the lawyer but the big Q is: how do we find a good lawyer? who is a good lawyer? They all sound pretty much the same...

Well Eastville is pretty much a hick town as you know, if you can find one in Hampton Roads to take your case you would be much better off but it will cost you more in the long run as they will eat you up on tolls and travel cost....plus you would have to find one that has an open date to travel to Eastville, most local lawyers that deal alot with traffic cases set their dates during the week based on the city...IE Mondays at the Beach, Tue in Norfolk, Wed in Chesapeake etc.....If you want a few names from Hampton Roads I can PM you their info but again be prepared to pay

Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well Eastville is pretty much a hick town as you know, if you can find one in Hampton Roads to take your case you would be much better off but it will cost you more in the long run as they will eat you up on tolls and travel cost....plus you would have to find one that has an open date to travel to Eastville, most local lawyers that deal alot with traffic cases set their dates during the week based on the city...IE Mondays at the Beach, Tue in Norfolk, Wed in Chesapeake etc.....If you want a few names from Hampton Roads I can PM you their info but again be prepared to pay

Yes, please please do send me the info. I have some attorneys from VA beach amongst the ones I spoke to. I guess thats Hampton roads, right. But please send in some names from hampton roads and let me see if i can get one of them. thx again.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 PM

512 posts, read 1,506,192 times
Ask Slipow (Va Beach Courts), it's a wierd name but he's probably the best traffic lawyer you're going to find around here. He may be able to recommend the right person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area