U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 24,970 times

Advertisements

We live in a small VA Beach neighborhood where the houses are built close to each other and there is not much room to park on the streets. My neighbor parks his truck in front of our house. I don't have a problem with him parking there but he never moves it. If I need to park on the street, edge my lawn, or put out yard debris I can't because his truck is always in the way. When I put out my trash can, I have to block my mailbox and the mailman will not deliver my mail for that day. Sometimes, the trash man skips our trash because he can't see it because the truck is in the way. He parks his work van in front of his house and his wife parks in the driveway. They used to have a boat that was in the driveway and the wife parked behind it. They sold it and now there is plenty of room for them to park the truck in it's place. I parked in front of his house one time and he came over to my house and cursed and yelled at me in front of my 2 year old son while he was drunk. He moved his truck one time and I parked in front of my house. When he came back, he parked in front of my car and blocked my driveway. We called the police but we cancelled them from coming out since he moved his truck 15 minutes later. Now, he rotates his other vehicles in front of my house if he has to use the truck.

On top of all that, they like to blast loud music that we can hear in our home. They also have cats they leave out and they tear up our garden and poop in our yard. They have also thrown cigarette butts in our yard. They left us a letter once asking us to move our trash can from our backyard because it stinks (Hello? Its trash). We moved it away from the fence and responded with a letter asking them to move their truck and to stop blasting loud music. That night, he blasted loud music, yelled obscenities at us, and of course, did not move his truck. He has also tried talking trash to me while he was drunk again when I was taking out the trash but I just walked away.

When we first moved in, we extended the fence between our homes. We were nice enough to ask them and even put the fence two feet off the property line since they made their garden close to the property line and it would be really tight for them to get to their backyard. I've been contemplating on redoing my fence and putting it on the property line and even extending it further up. This would make it difficult for them to get to their back yard without redoing their whole garden but I've been nice enough not to do that. I do plan to start parking in front of their house but am worried they might do something to my car.

Any advice on what I should or should not do? Sorry for the long rant. I've just been dealing with this for the longest time and it has all been bottled up inside. Thanks.

Note: Our neighbor is always drunk and speaks with a permanent slur so you can imagine what kind of person I have to deal with. We are also way beyond talking to them nicely about resolving our issues.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:20 PM

6,052 posts, read 9,309,754 times
Oh I'd call the cops. I'd also move the fence, and start parking in front of their house. If anything happens to your car you can tell the cops what's going on, and they'll have documentation because of your phone calls.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:24 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,710,676 times
You may want to call zoning. It is obvious that your services are being interrupted because of the vehicle.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,592,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreus1 View Post
We live in a small VA Beach neighborhood where the houses are built close to each other and there is not much room to park on the streets. My neighbor parks his truck in front of our house. I don't have a problem with him parking there but he never moves it. If I need to park on the street, edge my lawn, or put out yard debris I can't because his truck is always in the way. When I put out my trash can, I have to block my mailbox and the mailman will not deliver my mail for that day. Sometimes, the trash man skips our trash because he can't see it because the truck is in the way. He parks his work van in front of his house and his wife parks in the driveway. They used to have a boat that was in the driveway and the wife parked behind it. They sold it and now there is plenty of room for them to park the truck in it's place. I parked in front of his house one time and he came over to my house and cursed and yelled at me in front of my 2 year old son while he was drunk. He moved his truck one time and I parked in front of my house. When he came back, he parked in front of my car and blocked my driveway. We called the police but we cancelled them from coming out since he moved his truck 15 minutes later. Now, he rotates his other vehicles in front of my house if he has to use the truck.

On top of all that, they like to blast loud music that we can hear in our home. They also have cats they leave out and they tear up our garden and poop in our yard. They have also thrown cigarette butts in our yard. They left us a letter once asking us to move our trash can from our backyard because it stinks (Hello? Its trash). We moved it away from the fence and responded with a letter asking them to move their truck and to stop blasting loud music. That night, he blasted loud music, yelled obscenities at us, and of course, did not move his truck. He has also tried talking trash to me while he was drunk again when I was taking out the trash but I just walked away.

When we first moved in, we extended the fence between our homes. We were nice enough to ask them and even put the fence two feet off the property line since they made their garden close to the property line and it would be really tight for them to get to their backyard. I've been contemplating on redoing my fence and putting it on the property line and even extending it further up. This would make it difficult for them to get to their back yard without redoing their whole garden but I've been nice enough not to do that. I do plan to start parking in front of their house but am worried they might do something to my car.

Any advice on what I should or should not do? Sorry for the long rant. I've just been dealing with this for the longest time and it has all been bottled up inside. Thanks.

Note: Our neighbor is always drunk and speaks with a permanent slur so you can imagine what kind of person I have to deal with. We are also way beyond talking to them nicely about resolving our issues.

It is a public street, he can park where ever he wants, as long as he is not blocking your driveway.....you don't own the spot in front of your house so you should not have a problem with it..

Loud music is a police issue so call them out, not much they can do unless the music is loud when they get there and with the new laws they have about noise, the police cant do anything if they don't have a meter to read how loud the noise level is...and there are just a select few meters on the street right now but I would still call them out so a complaint call is on file.

As far as the cats, you can get traps from animal control and put in your yard, if the cats go in there just call out animal control and they will come pick them up.

littering is also a police matter but again the police officer must see the person toss the litter down to take action

I would move the fence to the property line so you don't have issues later on...

Being drunk on your own property is legal so nothing you can do about that.....

Sounds like most of the issues you are having are civil disputes between you and your neighbor......you have 4 options, 1)you can try and be friends, 2) you can just ignore the problems, 3)you can go take out criminal charges on your neighbors and take them to court and see what the judge says or 4) you can move.....

Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,710,676 times
you can call the safety hotline 427-5000 to solve disputes, so you are not interferring with emergencies. Yes, drinking on your own property is not against the law, but verbal abuse is. No one should have to listen to a drunk or sober person use abusive language to them. If you want to settle it in a civil manner, talk to both your neighbors when they are sober and come to a happy medium.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 24,970 times
rtandc,

I don't have a problem with him parking there. I know its a public street and people are allowed to park there. I have a problem with him never moving his car. Having his truck never move causes me a lot of issues as I stated in my original post. Having access to the spot every now and then would really help. I was hoping there was a law that you can not leave your car parked on the street for so long before getting a ticket but I haven't been able to find that. It is ultimately like having a broken down vehicle in front of your house. I feel that it is common courtesy to at least park the cars you don't use in front of your own house or in your own driveway.

We are trying option 4. I hope that we can have a quick sell so I don't have to deal with this neighbor anymore.

All,

I appreciate all the advice. I plan to start parking in front of their house. I plan to set up my web camera as a security camera so I can catch them if they do anything to my car or litter in front of my house. If things escalate after that, I will redo my fence. Trying not to spend the extra money on the house right now since we are trying to sell our home.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:21 PM

542 posts, read 876,374 times
If their cats keep coming into your yard definitely take them to the pound. Or just put antifreeze out for them. JUST KIDDING!! Am I?? If he leaves his yard while drunk call the cops for public intoxication, or next time lure him out of his yard and then call the cops. You can just put your trash with theirs too. If his license plates "mysteriously" disappeared, you could get their car towed out of there. None of this will ease the tension, but it would feel SOOO good!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM

89 posts, read 218,123 times
Good luck with selling your home. Sounds like this individual is dangerous and disturbed. The sooner you get away from them, the better off you will be. You deserve to live in a location where you are surrounded by civilized neighbors.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 956,744 times
Have you asked him not to park there because you would like to? Yeah, I'm sure that will work!
From what I read it looks like you moved next to a low life. I suggest you call the local police and ask them about "storage" in NYC & NJ we have laws prohibiting people from basically storing their cars in the street. The police come & mark the tires & check back in 48 hours to see if the car moved. If not summons. If after 72 hours towed. But I have found here in this area many "civilized" laws do not exist. You look like you are pretty much screwed here. (as they say "It is what it is!") Ask the desk Sgt. If you find the spot in front of their house free...park there. Especially over the weekend.

If he comes over & yells at you...Call the cops tell them he threated you
If he comes to give you crap while drunk Call the cops tell them he is drunk & disorderly

Loud music? Call the cops
Is his truck registered & inspected...if not call the cops
If his house looks like a junk yard..call the cops (or neighborhood services)
If his grass is over grown make a call
The cats? get animal control to get them
Use video cameras to get evidence.

Here is some info from the city of VB

Overgrown Grass and Weeds (City Code 23-50) - It is unlawful for any property owner or occupant to allow grass or weeds to grow over 10 inches in height. This code also prohibits any accumulation of trash, garbage or litter on the premises.
Open Storage of Junk (City Code 23-48) - It is unlawful for any property owner or occupant to store dilapidated furniture, appliances, machinery, building materials or any other item which is rusted, wrecked, junked, dismantled or inoperative on private property. Licensed junk dealers are exempt.
Inoperable Vehicle Ordinance (City Code 16-40) - Vehicles must be in operating condition and must have either a valid state license plate or a valid inspection sticker, and cannot be in a dismantled or wrecked condition.
Waste Management (Chapter 31 of the City Code) - Provisions of the code are enforced that govern the preparation, storage and disposal of waste. These provisions also address waste receptacle placement and storage, dumpster screening and private waste collection at the Oceanfront.

Contact Information: Code EnforcementMailing Address2424 Courthouse Dr.Municipal Center, Bldg. 18AVirginia Beach, VA 23456Fax: (757) 385-5694TDD: (757) 385-5794Direct: (757) 385-4421

Here is a link to the VB municipal code. Make a pain in the butt of yourself.

http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=10122&sid=46

Parking is covered in chapter 21
Good luck, it looks like you will have your hands full with this idiot.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,592,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreus1 View Post
rtandc,

I don't have a problem with him parking there. I know its a public street and people are allowed to park there. I have a problem with him never moving his car. Having his truck never move causes me a lot of issues as I stated in my original post. Having access to the spot every now and then would really help. I was hoping there was a law that you can not leave your car parked on the street for so long before getting a ticket but I haven't been able to find that. It is ultimately like having a broken down vehicle in front of your house. I feel that it is common courtesy to at least park the cars you don't use in front of your own house or in your own driveway.

We are trying option 4. I hope that we can have a quick sell so I don't have to deal with this neighbor anymore.

All,

I appreciate all the advice. I plan to start parking in front of their house. I plan to set up my web camera as a security camera so I can catch them if they do anything to my car or litter in front of my house. If things escalate after that, I will redo my fence. Trying not to spend the extra money on the house right now since we are trying to sell our home.
No there is not a law regarding how long a vehicle can be parked in one location before it is moved. As long as the vehicle appears operable and has both valid tags and valid inspection sticker it can be parked on the street. The city is pretty strict as far the vehicles being legal when on the street but are pretty lazy when it comes to Code Enforcement on private property and normally will only investigate a persons property when a complaint is filed.

So if there are issues with his property you can contact codes or zoning and they will come out but be prepared, when they come out for a complaint they normally will inspect not just the house in question but normally the first 3-5 houses on the left and 3-5 houses on the right of the property in question plus normally the same number of homes across the street. This is done so the person can not claim the city is just picking on one household....good idea by the city but at the same time if another one of your neighbors have code or zoning issues and are issued a violation notice...who do you thing they are going to put the blame on......You....and it is not to hard for the city to find faults when they start nit-picking

As far as the camera that is a good idea for future security, and you can call the police if you want but there is little they can do. Most misdemeanor crimes will require you to press the charges and you to go to court, not the police....the police would only take action if they witnessed the person committing the crime in their presence....So the police will not come out as act as the bad guy in your behalf if you call them, they will come out and investigate your complaint and talk with both parties involved and explain to both parties if they wish to take out criminal charges it is up to the parties involved...

You talk of them tossing cigarette butts in your yard, if you witnessed this happen you can go secure a warrant for littering (well today its actually called illegal dumping)...now again you must of seen him toss the butt down, finding the butt on the ground and believing he did it is not enough........You also said he yelled and cussed at you, really not enough there unless he threatened you...you might be able to get a warrant for disorderly but I highly doubt he would be found guilty and even if he did nothing would most likely happen except he would receive a small fine.......

See where I am going with this......the courts can do very little in neighbor disputes, sure one neighbor can take another neighbor to court it happens all of the time, but when it is all said and done that person is still going to be your neighbor long after the court case is over but now you are going to hate each other even more............The best way is still sitting down and trying to work out a solution with each other

Anyway good luck on the sale of your home, not very easy to sale a home in this market plus I think any person possibly interested in your home if smart would go door to door talking with the neighbors and getting a feel for the neighborhood...if this neighbor is half as bad as you make him out to be I am sure you are not the only family that has issues with them, I would hope one of your neighbors would warn a possible buyer about them when asked....So if selling is your decision I would limit calling the police because that is normally the first thing a possible buyer is going to check is the police calls for service for the neighborhood. If they see you have called the police on your neighbors several times a month it does not take a rocket scientist to know what is going on...

Last edited by rtandc; 08-10-2009 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area