Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times

Advertisements

Cruise Ship Terminal:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/Norfolk7-26088.jpg (broken link)

Main St:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/Norfolk7-26063.jpg (broken link)

This is actually the newish building across the street from the federal building I think your reffering to:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/Norfolk7-26076.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
Wow again!! Lots of construction going on there!! I hope they are upgrading sewer mains and storm lines while they are doing all of this!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 AM

80 posts, read 380,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post

Relative Theory was cool. Wish I had gone there more. I shifted jobs so I was commuting to Newport News everyday once my downtown job layed off people (cause management was crap). I know Dave and Josh, and try to go to the Boot whenever possible (group think). Now it's a church. Too sad.
well, if you came in there in the mornings during the last year it was open, i was most likely behind the counter. i miss it like crazy. i went in there last december just for nostalgia's sake. our old fridge was still in there that kept all the cafe supplies. oh well.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermarketFantasy View Post
well, if you came in there in the mornings during the last year it was open, i was most likely behind the counter. i miss it like crazy. i went in there last december just for nostalgia's sake. our old fridge was still in there that kept all the cafe supplies. oh well.
Yea, I had started to work on some projects for fun but never completed them :-( The idea was a video distribution thing that would transport video produced @ RT to Hells Kitchen and Wonderbar. I worked for a small company in downtown Norfolk that made network storage stuff (iSCSI targets for the nerds, based on NetBSD). On top of that I ended up getting rid of my office in Virginia Beach, and that was quite a bit of work transitioning everything. Rents went sky high at home when roomates split ways and I moved out on my own (rent would have adjusted either way), and office power bill was getting out of hand. When my day job folded I ended up working at Jefferson Lab in Newport News, so that added two 45 minute commutes to my days.

Right as I started working in downtown Norfolk Dave said they were working on the boot. Didn't know the record store was going away. It's a tough one, since the music model has changed and itunes and the like are in.

I always thought it would be interesting to start a classic arcade or something downtown, but the rents are too high and the drunks would be an issue I'd think, or you'd have to go the bar-cade route. Not sure it'd make it.

How were the crowds and stuff for shows at Relative?

I used to have a project truck where it was pimped out with computers and stuff, and I cut a hole in the side and mounted a 72" rear projection video setup in it. We streamed video from Relative Theory down Granby and had the truck parked near the Fed building showing live video from INSIDE Relative Theory.. the band New London Fire was playing. It was pretty cool. I still have a video file or two somewhere of standing out on the road watching people try to figure out what the heck it was :-) Some people got it, but those that didn't know the record store missed it. It was just an experiment. Good times.

Actually this picture is a left behind I always run into. The significance is the truck is parked near Brambleton, in front of Machismo. But the video on the screen is of Brambleton from many floors above, being sent over a wireless feed. It was just the test before we did it down on Granby street.

http://users.757.org/%7Eethan/pics/geek/rt.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 AM

80 posts, read 380,875 times
crowds for shows were hit or miss. sometimes, it'd be packed, other times, it would be the bands playing to the other bands and a handful of people who paid. i think i might've worked that new london fire show, but i do remember working this one show which featured a band called indian jewelry and some french duo who streamed their performance onto the side of the building across from our space. it actually brought up a bunch of curious people who wanted to check it out.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:29 AM

43 posts, read 113,620 times
Wow.. great thread!!! Those are some really good pictures Cityboi!! I also found those pictures Tele posted of the flooded streets amazing.

It seems like a lot of cities have these types of sewer problems. I know in DC when we would get a lot of rain in certain parts of the city the sewers would back up and flow out of the manholes. I guess it's all part of living in an urban area.

By the way, it's a shame you don't have that truck anymore Tele.. I think seeing things like that are one of the things that give urban areas flavor. Seeing creative outlets like that and talking to the minds behind them is always interesting to me. Though I do understand that the money to build and keep up a project like that doesn't grow on trees so I can understand having to unload it, but it's very cool none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area