Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 16,567 times

Advertisements

I am being moved to NS Norfolk, and I want to purchase a house. Can someone point me in the right direction of where is a good place with a decent commute to NS Norfolk to raise a family. I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. Also, we are working with a realtor, she suggested a couple of places.

Anyone have any information on the Portsmouth (Prentis Park) area?

Trying to find something decent in a low crime area for around 200k...

Thanks,
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 05:57 PM

73 posts, read 474,969 times
Default NO to Prentis Park

For 200K, your best bet will be Portsmouth, but you'll have to be careful about the neighborhoods. Old Towne is very nice, and there are some neighborhoods around there (but NOT Prentis Park) that will be fine. Prentis Park is high crime and racially charged.

West Park View has perhaps the lowest crime rate in the city. A friend of mine lives there and loves it. There's a very active neighborhood watch and small waterfront parks at the end of many streets. My friend said to tell you there's a very nice, newly renovated house for sale on Anne Street. Other Portsmouth neighborhoods that are good are Port Norfolk and Shea Terrace. The elementary schools are good there, but the middle and high schools are bad, so you'll probably want to send your kids to private middle/high schools.

In Norfolk, I don't know of any safe neighborhoods for 200K.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I will start searching for some more houses in those areas. The middle and high schools don't bother me, I won't be there that long, but it might affect resale, i guess.

Thanks for the advice. Any other opinions of areas around there are good too. People keep telling me to go to Virginia Beach and find a townhouse, but I am not quite convinced...

Old 12-10-2006, 03:57 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
Va Bch is suburban in nature (although the city center is growing quickly) but has quite good schools for the most part. Lots of people commute over to the base from here so perhaps living on the west side of town might be something you look for.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,139 times
Hello fellow squid!! We too will be making the transition to Navy Norfolk. Have you had any luck narrowing down your search? We have been told to look at Chesapeake. Have you heard that too?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:59 PM

So far, best I have found under $200K are townhouses in the VA BCH area. Commute isn't horrible, but you need to check ACIZ charts to avoid high noise areas. Check each neighborhood carefully, some have a good reputation, some bad. I am heading there between Christmas and New Years for house hunting. Hopefully, I will find out where the good places are, so we can get a place.

Any one have information on the following communities in VA Beach:

-CEDARWOOD
-Green Run
-Rosemount Forest
-The Lakes
-Turnberry Townhomes
-Scarborough Square
-Chesapeake South (South Hill Lane in Chesapeake, VA)
-Lake Edward West
-Kempsville Lake
-Washington Square

Any information can be emailed or posted here. Thanks for any advice on these areas, especially if you are local or live there...

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 28,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensdion View Post
So far, best I have found under $200K are townhouses in the VA BCH area. Commute isn't horrible, but you need to check ACIZ charts to avoid high noise areas. Check each neighborhood carefully, some have a good reputation, some bad. I am heading there between Christmas and New Years for house hunting. Hopefully, I will find out where the good places are, so we can get a place.

Any one have information on the following communities in VA Beach:

-CEDARWOOD
-Green Run
-Rosemount Forest
-The Lakes
-Turnberry Townhomes
-Scarborough Square
-Chesapeake South (South Hill Lane in Chesapeake, VA)
-Lake Edward West
-Kempsville Lake
-Washington Square

Any information can be emailed or posted here. Thanks for any advice on these areas, especially if you are local or live there...

[moderator cut] He/She should of given you several homes and told you rule of thumb-drive there during the day and again at night! And since you have children you should check out our local school website at www.vbschools.com. How long will you be stationed here? And will you be deployed, leaving your family alone for months at a time? Theses are concerns you should be addressing in what area you would like to reside in. To be honest the average cost of a house here is $250-up. Which isnt really all that. Do you want a single family, or would you be ok with an attached? [moderator cut] Please be careful...there are many agents who will put you in something for the commission...I too was a military wife...so I can simpalize with you and your wife...its hard, but safety is the main issue if your wife and children will be there alone! Just let me know! Best of luck to you....

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2007 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for prospects.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 11,508 times
You may want to check out the Churchland area in Portsmouth. Sterling Point in Portsmouth is a great neighborhood. You can get homes in that neighborhood for around $250k.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,508 times
Wink House in Hampton?

It is tough to find a new house in Norfolk. Mostly you have to go condo around the Kent area or Waterside area or even ODU area. You can get some good deals in Hampton which is about 15 minutes away but you have to travel thru the Hampton Roads tunnel. Not to bad. Areas like Salt Pounds, Howe Farms and Conlonial Acres just to name a few good areas.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,549 times
Default real estate

Hello Jason,

[moderator cut] There are a few web sites out there you can go to for more information.

http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/learning/7261.html and http://pps.k12.va.us/

[moderator cut]

V/R,
Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area