U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 39,184 times

Advertisements

This would be my first time camping on my own, but I love the outdoors. I want to go somewhere that's fairly close by, preferably not more than 2-3 hours from VA Beach.

I'm looking for a place to set up tents, do some grilling, roast some marshmallows, maybe go hiking/biking/swimming etc. Just somewhere away form the hustle and bustle of this city but somewhere that has some cool things to do outside nonetheless.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,674,951 times
Sherando Lake is a great place for camping. Its about 3.5 hours from VA Beach. We have camped there since I was a kid. Located in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains 2 lakes Built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in the 1930s. Offers swimming, camping, picnicking, hiking, and fishing and a bath house with showers. There are others off the Blue Ridge Parkway that wil be the same distance or further. If you don't want to travel quite that far try Pocahontas State Park near Richmond. ABout two hours from VB. Has lake, waterpark, hiking etc. Personally we like the mountain scenery so the extra distance to Sherando and the Blue Ridge Parkway is worth the trip.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:57 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,596,675 times
Heck you don't even have to leave Hampton Roads area unless you want to or even VA Bch for that matter since it will be your first time...........There are nice campgrounds in VA Bch, and Chesapeake and that is just on the south side

Other places not to far away is the Outer banks in NC (Frisco Woods campground would be good for tent camping) or any where out towards Lake Gaston in VA....many, many places to camp around there............

Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,715,637 times
Go to North Bayshore Campground near sandbridge. Near the wildlife refuge, off the back bay, is a natural campground..no concrete slabs, you can build a campfire and listen to the croaking of frogs at night. None of that modern, partying type place like holiday or koa's.

http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/112509.html

Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
Sherando Lake is a great place for camping. Its about 3.5 hours from VA Beach. We have camped there since I was a kid. Located in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains 2 lakes Built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in the 1930s. Offers swimming, camping, picnicking, hiking, and fishing and a bath house with showers. There are others off the Blue Ridge Parkway that wil be the same distance or further. If you don't want to travel quite that far try Pocahontas State Park near Richmond. ABout two hours from VB. Has lake, waterpark, hiking etc. Personally we like the mountain scenery so the extra distance to Sherando and the Blue Ridge Parkway is worth the trip.
Haven't been to Sherando lake in years, by chance do you know if that little store between the campground and the town of Love that sold all of the Hershey candy (it was in front of the Hershey candy distributor building) is still there....they sold some of the best home made cookies I have ever ate........LOL

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 39,184 times
thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm gonna check these places out. I kinda did want to get out of Hampton Roads for a bit, just makes it feel more...authentic I guess. lol

Anybody camped on the beach in OBX? I've heard you can set up tents right on the beach there but I don't remember ever seeing that when I've been down that way.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr2 View Post
thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm gonna check these places out. I kinda did want to get out of Hampton Roads for a bit, just makes it feel more...authentic I guess. lol

Anybody camped on the beach in OBX? I've heard you can set up tents right on the beach there but I don't remember ever seeing that when I've been down that way.
You can stay on the beach all night as long as you have a fishing pole in the water, you can have a campfire right on the sand most places along the beach as long as it is below the high tide line etc but no you cant really set up camp on the beach if that is what you mean...

If you want to dry camp (no hookups) the National Park campgrounds will put you as close to the beach as you can get (in the dunes pretty much).....but remember these places have NO utility connections at all and no hot water for bathing....

National Park Service Campgrounds

So again being your first time I still would suggest Frisco woods, you can set up your tent right on the waters edge of the sound, or real close to it depending on the site, the primitive area is very heavily wooded (well for the outer banks LOL) so it will keep you from frying in the sun all day and they have nice hot showers a nice camp store a pool and it is close to a number of places to eat if you don't feel like cooking

http://www.outer-banks.com/friscowoods/

Last edited by rtandc; 08-14-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM

7,810 posts, read 17,863,299 times
One of my favorite ( for tent camping ) campgrounds was BIG MEADOWS in Shenandoah NP. The campground has a shower building where you put quarters in a machine. Used to be 5 quarters for a five minute shower. It's about a 3 hr drive from the Great Neck area of VB. Take I-64 west, US 15 north, US 33 west, then a few miles north on the Skyline drive to the campground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area