Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:42 PM

493 posts, read 512,152 times

Advertisements

I want to know about how much should a family of four in this area need to make to live a comfortable middle class life. I have family down there who are struggling and family who is doing very well. However, I feel like they are telling me the bare minimum needed to survive (instead of decent living) just to persuade me to come down there (currently live in nyc).
p.s I have to move but I am looking to see if this is the place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Comfortable? Around $104-$120K. Acceptable? $85-$100K. Struggling? Anything less than $75K.

The only thing cheap in HR are employers.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Comfortable? Around $104-$120K. Acceptable? $85-$100K. Struggling? Anything less than $75K.

The only thing cheap in HR are employers.
That is all dependent on many things, though.

As someone who is single, no children, I have been able to live just fine on what you consider struggling. If I had two or three kids, then yeah... it'd be a problem....

Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post

As someone who is single, no children, I have been able to live just fine on what you consider struggling. If I had two or three kids, then yeah... it'd be a problem....

Agreed.

It's much more expensive to live in Virginia Beach or Williamsburg than it is to live in Hampton, Newport News, and probably Norfolk.

Although for a family of four, I would say $100k is a minimum.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM

493 posts, read 512,152 times
Right now we are a family of 3 struggling in nyc on 120K; however, if we move down there we would both lose about 20-25k on our income so im not sure if it is worth it.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM

178 posts, read 282,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Right now we are a family of 3 struggling in nyc on 120K; however, if we move down there we would both lose about 20-25k on our income so im not sure if it is worth it.
I dont think its worth it here it would take years to get welfare but in NYC they have lots of services so I think you should stay in NYC for awhile.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,306 times
I think you'd be fine at about $100k in Virginia Beach. We're looking to move our family of 4 with gross income of about $120k, and we're being super picky about the house we want to buy, so we're looking at likely $300-350k homes, but there are certainly nice homes in good areas that cost less (we've actually looked at some that were closer to $250k that still draw into really good elementary schools). My husband is a SAHD now, but I've looked into daycare prices anyway, and it's WAY cheaper in Virginia Beach than where we are now, and I'd assume the same when comparing to NYC. Looking at cost of living info online, groceries and gas should both be a bit cheaper than where we are now, plus we'll be driving less in general (I'll actually be working from home), so there are a lot of potential factors to consider. We actually went over it a bit with a financial advisor who thinks we'll be better off there

Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post

But in the OP they said "family of four."

Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 149,262 times
It really depends on how YOU define "comfortable." I will say it seems like a lot of people from NY have moved here, so there must be something to it. Also, sure your pay will be less but the cost of living here in comparison to NYC is a lot more affordable so it should more than even out. Dip a little further south to NC Tri Cities area and you'll do even better. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I get the sense you are not really into the idea of living in VB? ?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 11,206 times
You wouldn't starve, but you'd need to live on a budget. Be careful where. Housing is way less than in NY. Taxes are lower, most of it is probably safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area