U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,683,660 times

Advertisements

Well we pulled in Monday night rather than Sunday. We blew two tires on the camper...so it killed half a day. I was so excited to spend two weeks house hunting and thus far, am hating life. I know we can't bash here, so I won't...but I must say I hate where I am staying. It is utterly disgusting with the wallpaper peeling off the wall, the carpets are so stained that you don't want to put your bare feed on the floor, the carpet doesn't reach the wall, so you can see the floor, my daughter walks across the room and it feels like big foot is bouncing across the floor, the walls are colored on and marked up, etc... what a major disappointment. Although, even though we were a day late, the first place they tried to put us in wasn't even cleaned yet- housekeeping never came. Housekeeping has arrived here but to do what? I am not sure.
You must think I am staying and paying for a dive- however I can say that this is a well known resort in Williamsburg and $$$. I would rather take my 35 foot camper to the KOA and sleep in it. Will do that tomorrow if this doesn't get resolved.
BTW- I need movers to help me unload the truck in the morning...any idea?
Lynette
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM

542 posts, read 876,374 times
Wow! Sure am sorry this is your first experience in VA! I hope this doesn't ruin the impression of your new home. Sorry, I don't know of any one to help unload as I don't live in the area, but saw the post and wanted to express my empathy for your predicament. I hope this situation is resolved promptly! In any case hope your real estate adventures go well and welcome to Virginia! Hope you like it.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,672,676 times
U Haul has a partner service that will supply day labor. https://www.movinghelp.com/Default.aspx
You can enter your zipcode, labor needed and see the rates quoted. You can read reviews of the different offers to help you make your decision.
I have had many clients use this service and all were very satisfied.
Sorry to hear of the condition of your unit. Are you in a time share ? or apt ? Sad to say there are a few places around that aren't kept up. If its a timeshare you can check tripadvisor.com for reviews prior to booking.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:31 AM

There are many nice places around. Do you want suggestions ? or is it too late ?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,034,227 times
Hang in there, this is not your permanent residence so things should look up. With the fall coming, you should love all the fall colors in Williamsburg and the milder weather.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,683,660 times
Thanks everyone! I am adjusting to the heat...I was soaked by 2pm yesterday after unloading the 24 foooter into the storage unit. But, with a good shower and some food in my tummy, I felt much better. I am still in this dive unfortunately. I can't believe this place is affiliated with RCI and is considered a resort- I feel like I am living in the ghetto.
I went and drove by a home for rent for 1300 yesterday...wow. It was also ghetto. Man is it expensive out here. I am going to swallow the fact that I am going to have to fork out 1700-1900 a month to live in something decent.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,592,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Thanks everyone! I am adjusting to the heat...I was soaked by 2pm yesterday after unloading the 24 foooter into the storage unit. But, with a good shower and some food in my tummy, I felt much better. I am still in this dive unfortunately. I can't believe this place is affiliated with RCI and is considered a resort- I feel like I am living in the ghetto.
I went and drove by a home for rent for 1300 yesterday...wow. It was also ghetto. Man is it expensive out here. I am going to swallow the fact that I am going to have to fork out 1700-1900 a month to live in something decent.
Welcome to Hampton Roads, we tried to warn you like we do other people but everyone just has to see it for themselves I guess before it truly sinks in.......Homes in the area you left are at least half the price of what you will find here so rentals for 2 grand a month or higher in this area is the norm.......and that is after the local housing market crash....rents have dropped allot around Hampton Roads, you should of seen the prices before the drop

Last edited by rtandc; 08-19-2009 at 08:18 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,710,676 times
shoot...we have a 28 foot trailer and we can live in it! Why are you not living in your 35 footer????
I wouldn't go thru RCI..heard too many complaints about them and how they manage time shares.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 PM

520 posts, read 1,518,847 times
Drive a bargain. There is a large supply of rentals, rents are going down.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Rentals in the Williamsburg area seem to be tightening up. I'm not saying don't strike a deal but compared to 4-5 months ago inventory is down. Rents have definitely come down from 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area