Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 04:50 PM

22 posts, read 66,960 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I finally moved to the area and have had the worst luck finding a job. I think that it's partly because I would like to work on the peninsula because of the HRBT traffic. Most of the jobs I have been interested in are in Norfolk, but I am not used to heavy traffic on a regular basis, so it makes me nervous to commute to the southside. Can anyone offer some sound advice about how bad the commute is in the mornings and evenings..or even just give some details about your personal commute experience? Come on, help a newbie out! Thanks a mil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
If you need a job driving through the tunnel would be worth it. Traffic is backed up 3-5 miles every day so It could take you 45- a hour to get from Hampton to Norfolk, but a job is a job.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
If you need a job driving through the tunnel would be worth it. Traffic is backed up 3-5 miles every day so It could take you 45- a hour to get from Hampton to Norfolk, but a job is a job.

True indeed, a job is a job, but being new to the area and not knowing just how bad traffic can be daily (and God forbid there is an accident in the tunnel), I do have some reservations about commuting. My main concern is what if I leave way early and am still late for work due to traffic? How can I prove to my boss that I am a dedicated employee who does leave home early, but have difficulty making it to work on time due to traffic...not every single day, but periodically?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 9,813 times
Yes, is a commute over the water in Hampton Roads viable? I too am new to the area and living on the Hampton side of the HRBT. Since 70% of the jobs I see advertised in my field are on the other side of the water (mainly in Norfolk & VA Beach) I began asking around and paying more attention to the daily traffic reports. General consensus: "You don't want to be trying to cross the water between 3PM-7PM".
With 'time' being my most precious commodity these days I elected to narrow my job search. That of course limits the availability; however, I know I wouldn't be happy with the unpredictability of scheduling my arrival time. I've just begun the job search, but if I'm unable to find a position on the Hampton side soon I thought about asking some of the south-side employers if they would be willing to flex the work schedule: either work 4 10-hour days or perhaps later shift 1PM-9PM and try to avoid the heavy traffic congestion times.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:49 PM

I guess people who have been doing it for so long really don't have a problem commuting (And if the job is worth it, who ca blame them??). If the right job comes along I will have to really make sure it's something good that I would be willing to sit in traffic for.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Traffic is traffic be it the HRBT or downtown or midtown tunnel....... it is something people around Hampton Roads just learns to deal with....that is the price you have to pay when living on the waters edge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area