Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times

Advertisements

America's 10 Best Places to Grow Up - US News and World Report

Virginia Beach, Va.: Junior adventurers will love Virginia Beach, Va. This community of 434,000 residents in the southeastern part of the state has a low crime rate, a solid school system, and 35 miles of majestic beaches on the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay. "It's kind of neat to be able to come home from work, make a call to my wife or son, grab a bucket of chicken or some sandwiches, and then go out on the bay and have dinner," saysGreg Ward, who works for a marketing firm that represents the Virginia Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Children can explore an impressive ecosystem of threatened and endangered species—including bald eagles and loggerhead sea turtles—in the 9,000-acre Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The warm summers and mild winters provide plenty of opportunities to hike, bike, and picnic your way through the 19 miles of scenic trails over at First Landing [COLOR=#005497 !important][COLOR=#005497 !important]State [COLOR=#005497 !important]Park[/color][/color][/color]. And after checking out the sand tiger sharks and the cow-nose rays at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center, children can catch an educational picture in its 3-D IMAX theater.
And in early September, the community is launching an online resource—VBparents.com—designed to keep parents plugged in to local health and school news, while ensuring that they are up-to-date on all of the community activities available to their [COLOR=#005497 !important][COLOR=#005497 !important]kids[/color][/color]. "There are lots of great parenting resources out there. This one is going to be specific to raising your child and your family within the city of Virginia Beach," says Jenefer Snyder, city of Virginia Beach GrowSmart coordinator. "We are constantly going to be connecting it back to community services, activities, events, programs, and classes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 08:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times
Yeah, all those things are great to do on the first go around. But after a while, it wears old and then you are left with nothing to do.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Virginia Beach wasnt a terrible place to grow up, but its a terrible place to be an adult.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:48 AM

10 posts, read 31,153 times
I'm originally from North NJ and came to Virginia Beach to attend Virginia Wesleyan College. After great times in college I decided to stay here and look for work... well three years later I'm tired of the beach and wishing that I was closer to family. I'm already looking to relocate within the next year.
I agree, Virginia Beach is a great place to stay for a year or two, but then it just gets to be a bit dull. The tourists envading out oceanfront for 4 months is obnoxious and the crime is getting a bit out of hand. Time for a move!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 AM

102 posts, read 539,582 times
Hi, this is my first post here so please be gentle. My family and I are seriously considering the possibility of relocating to Va Beach next summer. We're trying to time it that way for school, and also to give ourselves plenty of time to get things in order here in NoVa. Everything will depend on my husband's job situation, but we're keeping our fingers crossed that a possible transfer to Va Beach will come through.

So I've been doing TONS of research to see if we really would want to make this move. We have an 11 year old and 8 year old, so do not take a move or relocation lightly. We like our current area quite a bit, so we are not compelled to move or leave for any reason.

After reading a lot on the forums and doing other research, I feel good about our being able to buy a decent house in Va beach in a good school system, so I'm not concerned about our kids receiving a good education in Va Beach -- so that's a major, major plus about the area for us.

We all love the beach SO MUCH (have rented a house in Sandbridge for a couple of summers plus stayed on the boardwalk plenty of times), so the thought of actually living so close to our 'vacation location' is exciting.

We would be moving closer to family (thought still not super close), so that's a big plus.

So... for those of you who replied negatively to the OP, could you please explain why you think Va Beach gets old after a couple of years? Or why you feel it's dull? It would be very helpful to read your opinions. I understand the impact of having an influx of tourists -- we get that here in DC, too, so I know all about avoiding the touristy areas during the summer!

And for anyone else who's reading and can offer your 2 cents -- I would love to read your thoughts about the Va Beach area as a place to call "home." Especially if you moved to Va Beach from NoVa and/or if you relocated your family to Va Beach.

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times
I moved to Va Beach when I was 14 and enjoyed every moment of my childhood. I loved not having to worry about getting shot while I was outside, I loved the hundreds of different places you can eat at on the weekends, I loved going to the oceanfront and meeting people, I loved to go to the zoo and the aquarium, I loved to go to downtown norfolk and hang out, I loved crossing bridge tunnels, etc. I think the people on here are talking about the tourist attractions get boring after a while.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandriaVa11 View Post

So... for those of you who replied negatively to the OP, could you please explain why you think Va Beach gets old after a couple of years? Or why you feel it's dull? It would be very helpful to read your opinions. I understand the impact of having an influx of tourists -- we get that here in DC, too, so I know all about avoiding the touristy areas during the summer!
Any place can get old after awhile if you don't look for new ideas and/or places to explore so I personally think it is more about the lifestyle/outlook of the person replying to this question and not so much about the area itself.....I have lived in this area for many years and I still find fun and exciting things to do with my free time......

You can visit any section (pick a state) on this forum and find people who love or hate where they live.......So that should tell you any place you live is only as good as you are willing to make it...

Last edited by rtandc; 08-20-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
America's 10 Best Places to Grow Up - US News and World Report
saysGreg Ward, who works for a marketing firm that represents the Virginia Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau.
says Jenefer Snyder, city of Virginia Beach GrowSmart coordinator.
They quote the people who's paycheck comes from promoting the area.

It's like asking a Realtor(TM) if it's a good time to buy or sell a home. Of course they say yes, they've got rent to make on their leased car.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandriaVa11 View Post
Hi, this is my first post here so please be gentle. My family and I are seriously considering the possibility of

Thank you in advance!
Part of it deals with soci-economic status. I assume you're planning to cash out of the Alexandria housing market and bring with you lots of cash, perhaps buying into the cheaper housing market of Virginia Beach?

Also, you fail to mention employment and such. Do you need jobs or no need to work?

There are a lot of variables.

A welfare mom is going to have a different experience than a trust fund baby.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 PM

102 posts, read 539,582 times
Thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

WRT the job question, I did mention in my first paragraph above that we'd be moving here b/c of my husband's job. There are decent-paying jobs in his field in the HR area (and there's an office of his company in Va Beach), with expectations of work for years to come. He works in a fairly recession-proof field. I do a specialized kind of work and freelance out of a home office; most of my clients are in the NY/NJ area and so my location is not critical -- I plan to work from Va Beach as soon as I am able (i.e., we're settled in).

Sorry, trying not to get too specific about jobs when it's my first day posting.

Also, yes, we are fortunate in that we will have enough equity in our home in NoVa to be able to put down 20% on a home in Va beach and still have some cushion. We're fairly conservative financially, though, so do NOT plan to over-extend ourselves and buy the tip-top house we'd probably qualify for (back when we bought this house doing that was called being house-poor, not sure if that term is still used in this economy!).

Anyway, back to my original post, I'm still pondering all of the ramifications for our family if we do make this move. It would be a pretty major deal for us and we would expect to stay in Va Beach for years to come.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area