Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM

102 posts, read 539,557 times

Advertisements

I recently joined this site to learn more about VAB as my family and I are considering relocating to the area. This site is such a great resource!

It looks as though the areas we might consider moving to (good schools, proximity to the ocean) are fairly close to Oceana, or at least close enough that jet noise will be something we really need to consider.

We've vacationed in VAB enough to know that the jet noise exists, but it never really seemed all that bad to us. I don't know if we've just been lucky every time we've been there (that would be a lot of luck -- I should play the lottery) or it's never bothered us much b/c we're used to some commercial jet noise here (nothing too bad though).

But... I've come across enough posts here to make me really wonder about moving to a pricey area where so many people make so many comments about the noise.

Is it really that bad? Would you say it's adversely affected your quality of life? Do you regret living where you do because of the jet noise?

Thanks in advance. Any info is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
When we purchased our house this year our #1 priority was jet noise. We have none at our house, but it was really bad at our old apartment. I would never want to deal with that again. My ears would actually hurt from the noise. Your realtor will provide you with noise levels for your home. There are a lot of nice places in VA Beach with little to no jet noise.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
I would say it really depends on where you live and the paths of the jets. For instance i work near Lynnhaven Mall and the jets literally go over my building every day. They are very loud in this particular area and if you are outside you get an earful for sure. That saying they don't run all the time but when they do it's annoying - to me. Not living near the path was one of my decisions to buy a home just far away to miss most of the noise.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
If you consider posting which neighborhood you are interested in maybe someone here might be especially helpful to you.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
I spent from age 2-13 less then a mile from NAS Oceana. Id have to say that you really get used to it.

I have a tape that my Mom recorded in the late 1980's, and you can audibly hear jets every 5 minutes, however, after living there a while, you dont really notice it any more. It actually surprised me how many jets there were the first time I listened to it.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 PM

88 posts, read 310,271 times
Yes, you definately notice it. If you live near the oceanfront area, that is the worst area for jet noise. I used to live in Great Neck area, and Laskin Road area, and those were all pretty bad. I hear it's worse now then when I lived down that way because of the louder jets they have now then the old ones. Don't let anyone tell you that "you will get used to it". If you are noise sensitive, you won't get used to it, I never have. I live in town center area, you can hear them sometimes here, but only 2 days a week down this way. The jets at the oceanfront keep flying through 1am, so they are pretty bad, and it is frequent. If I knew how bad it was, I don't think I would have ever moved here honestly.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 AM

102 posts, read 539,557 times
Thanks so much for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
If you consider posting which neighborhood you are interested in maybe someone here might be especially helpful to you.
Well, at this point I think we are looking primarily at the 23453 and 23456 zip codes, with the idea of being in the Kellam district as well as being pretty close to the beach.

I guess part of my whole thought process is wondering how/why people would pay so much for a house (let's say 450-500K) and be bombarded by jet noise all the time. We don't want to be un-pleasantly surprised once we get there -- it sounds like some people who settle in the area find out about the noise factor too late. Yikes!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,450,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandriaVa11 View Post

Well, at this point I think we are looking primarily at the 23453 and 23456 zip codes, with the idea of being in the Kellam district as well as being pretty close to the beach.

I guess part of my whole thought process is wondering how/why people would pay so much for a house (let's say 450-500K) and be bombarded by jet noise all the time. We don't want to be un-pleasantly surprised once we get there -- it sounds like some people who settle in the area find out about the noise factor too late. Yikes!
It depends. Miltary families who live close to the bases are usually okay with the noise, it goes with the territory. Many don't seem to mind, since it's not 24/7 and their greatest love is how close they are to the ocean for surfing.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,336 times
I used to live in 23464 and I almost never heard a jet. The only downfall is it's further away from the ocean

Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandriaVa11 View Post

Im still trying to figure out why anyone would pay 450-500k for ANY house in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area