U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,681,584 times

Advertisements

Give me the skinny on the grocery stores here pls. I know good old Walmart of course. I discovered Ukrops, but it seems expensive. I discovered tonight a Farm Fresh (?), it looked full of locals versus tourists. Where can I shop for groceries without breaking the bank besides Walmart. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,045,659 times
My favorite is Farm Fresh and their upscale brand 'the market.' The cheapest would probably be walmart.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 PM

1,737 posts, read 6,054,698 times
You might also try Food Lion. There are 2 in Williamsburg - 701-A Merrimac Trail Williamsburg, VA 23185 and 5601 Richmond Road Williamsburg, VA 23188.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 PM

520 posts, read 1,518,320 times
Wal*Mart has the best prices. Certain ones are better in terms of customer service, so you might want to drive farther to get the hook up. Generally if it has a predominantly black customer base the customer service is slower (less cashiers and what not).

Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,671,218 times
In the Williamsburg VA area We shop at all of the following depending on where we are and what we are looking for :Trader Joes in New Town, Costco or Sams Club in Newport News, Farm Fresh, Bloom ( upscale Food Lion) Food Lion, Ukrops, Wal Mart . Look for the sales flyers from FL, FF, Bloom and Ukrops. They come out in Wed paper or you can sign up for them online. Meat deals are ususally great values on sale at each.
Everyone seems to have favorites for shopping. We now do a lot of shopping for staples at Wal Mart here in Williamsburg. Wife hates the lines but prices overall are hard to beat.
Visit each and see which one you like...
Note I didn't mention Fresh Market since their prices seem too high for us.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 11,874 times
Ukrop's is a nice place to shop, but you're right - it's pricey. The Fresh Market (on Jamestown Rd in w-burg and Jefferson in NN) has THE BEST meats and seafood. Overall, Farm Fresh is my favorite -- good quality meats and produce, good selection of food and reasonable prices. I haven't found a Food Lion that I really like shopping at, including the new Bloom. Same with Walmart.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:28 AM

325 posts, read 1,076,399 times
I go between Walmart and Farm Fresh. Farm Fresh offers double coupons (up to $1) every Wednesday. Walmart is overall cheaper, but I've found that when Farm Fresh has a sale, it is GOOD! They run specials on their meats that are very reasonable.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:50 PM

119 posts, read 307,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
Wal*Mart has the best prices. Certain ones are better in terms of customer service, so you might want to drive farther to get the hook up. Generally if it has a predominantly black customer base the customer service is slower (less cashiers and what not).
Wow, that is kinda racist. But anyway, I recommend...

For seafood/deli/meats: Farm Fresh

Frozen Foods and dry foods: Food Lion,Bloom and Wal-Mart (the prices and service are gonna be the same whether it is a black Wal-Mart or white one! )

Household items and cleaning supplies: Walmart, Target, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree

Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,706,584 times
I buy household staples at Food Lion. They have fairly good meat as well, but I do my monthly meat shopping at Central Meat Packing on Kempsville Rd. in Chesapeake. If you are into wholesale clubs, there is Sams, Bj's and Costco. When it comes to cleaning supplies, I normally go to Dollar General or other discount stores near the house.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,576,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Give me the skinny on the grocery stores here pls. I know good old Walmart of course. I discovered Ukrops, but it seems expensive. I discovered tonight a Farm Fresh (?), it looked full of locals versus tourists. Where can I shop for groceries without breaking the bank besides Walmart. Thanks.

Its pointless to shop at Farm Fresh for anything but milk or really good sales. Kroger and Food Lion are only good for sale items.

I would stick primarily to Bottom Dollar (which is owned by Food Lion, but cheaper), and Walmart for your day to day grocery shopping. If you can find a Kmart with a grocery store, they also have alot of decent priced items and good sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area