Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,031 times

Advertisements

We would like to know what your opinion is of Virginia state regarding the crime rates & employment status. We are looking for a two bedrm apt., what would be the average going rate for rent in the nearby areas? Warehouse and retail experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:03 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
Virginia is a pretty big state that has high cost of living areas (Northern Va) to low cost (western parts of the state) and then everything in between.
However, since this is posted in Hampton Roads forum all we can do is address the area generally without specifics on your job etc.

Overall, this area is probably a medium cost of living area and rents for apts could run anywhere from $800 to $1600. I know that is a big range, but in HR we have very rural areas to nicer downtown areas. In Newport News, the rents for a good (10 year old apt) place is probably in the $1100 range. Of course there are less expensive places.

When you move to HR, your goal is ALWAYS to try to live on the same side of the water as your employment. Avoiding tunnels is easier traffic wise, but may not always suit your personal needs. Plus, many people travel the tunnels everyday, but backups and accidents can always come into play.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Virginia is a pretty big state that has high cost of living areas (Northern Va) to low cost (western parts of the state) and then everything in between.
However, since this is posted in Hampton Roads forum all we can do is address the area generally without specifics on your job etc.

Overall, this area is probably a medium cost of living area and rents for apts could run anywhere from $800 to $1600. I know that is a big range, but in HR we have very rural areas to nicer downtown areas. In Newport News, the rents for a good (10 year old apt) place is probably in the $1100 range. Of course there are less expensive places.

When you move to HR, your goal is ALWAYS to try to live on the same side of the water as your employment. Avoiding tunnels is easier traffic wise, but may not always suit your personal needs. Plus, many people travel the tunnels everyday, but backups and accidents can always come into play.
Yep, of course, early mornin' traffic is decent an pretty much before 3:30p and after 7:30p are the best times for the tunnels. Takes me 25 to get from Trashmore area to Newport News when I leave home at 5:15am for the shipyard and that's thru the HRBT. If I'm over there after 3:00, I take the MM tunnel home.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Great advice. Just to add on to what you were saying, in case the OP doesn't know, the Hampton Roads area is split into two sides: Southside and the Peninsula. Southside refers to the cities of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Suffolk, making up the southeastern corner of VA. The Peninsula includes Newport News and Hampton and sits northwest of the Southside (don't confuse it with the Eastern Shore, the far east peninsula north of the Southside). Some consider Williamsburg a part of the Hampton Roads metro, and if you do, then the Peninsula also includes Williamsburg.

The Peninsula and Southside are connected through two main bridge/tunnel combos: The Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) and the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel (MMBT). The HRBT suffers from daily traffic jams since it's used more, making it difficult to travel back and forth between the two halves of Hampton Roads. This is why it's smart to try and live on the side in which you'll be working - just to make things easier on yourself.

As far as crime goes, I believe Hampton Roads run the gamut. We have places with lots of crime like the "East End" in Newport News, "Park Place" in Norfolk, "South Norfolk" in Chesapeake, and so on. However, every city in the metro has something nice to offer, and the bad areas are pretty easy to avoid. According to cityrating.com, it looks like Norfolk has the most crime. My personal opinion on crime in this area is it usually doesn't seem to happen to random people and it doesn't happen often enough, or widespread enough, to be too concerned with it. Hampton Roads is a pretty big place though, so just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. If you find yourself in one of these "less than desirable" areas, just use your head. Tap into your street smarts and be cautious until you feel comfortable. It's pretty easy to not be victimized in Hampton Roads if you ask me.

Like stacy said, rent prices vary just like crime does. I think Virginia Beach is the most expensive city, but I'm not 100% on that. Every city has expensive homes and cheap homes, but when I was looking for a one bedroom/studio in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, the places I saw were usually between $600 and $850. Anything less than $600 seemed a little too shady for my taste unless it was just a room (I don't like the idea of living with random roommates though, so I passed on those).

Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Like stacy said, rent prices vary just like crime does. I think Virginia Beach is the most expensive city, but I'm not 100% on that. Every city has expensive homes and cheap homes, but when I was looking for a one bedroom/studio in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, the places I saw were usually between $600 and $850. Anything less than $600 seemed a little too shady for my taste unless it was just a room (I don't like the idea of living with random roommates though, so I passed on those).
I don't, but I've never rented in VaBeach, always owned. When I was in the Navy, I rented in Norfolk. I think 600 to 850 is a fair price, especially if there are amnemities involved, like pools and larger laundry facilities and a playground for the kiddies. If you knew what I pay for a one bedroom condo on the road, you'd choke! LOL

Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I don't, but I've never rented in VaBeach, always owned. When I was in the Navy, I rented in Norfolk. I think 600 to 850 is a fair price, especially if there are amnemities involved, like pools and larger laundry facilities and a playground for the kiddies. If you knew what I pay for a one bedroom condo on the road, you'd choke! LOL
Yeah I was actually surprised about prices in Ghent, especially. I always hear about how expensive it is and how hard it is to find a place, but I found a 2 bedroom in a nice old building on Spotswood Ave for $950, and I believe water and trash were included in the price. My sister and I were gonna move in together, but we decided on other things. But there were lots of nice places in Ghent for a lot cheaper than I expected. However I haven't looked within the last 6 months, so I don't know if prices have gone up or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area