Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 AM

29 posts, read 99,138 times

Advertisements

Should I reconsider and move closer to downtown?
I haven't signed the lease yet. The apartment building is very nice and I thought it would be a decent place with secured parking etc...but I don't want to restrict myself to never being able to be outdoors at night etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:08 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadInVA View Post
Should I reconsider and move closer to downtown?
I haven't signed the lease yet. The apartment building is very nice and I thought it would be a decent place with secured parking etc...but I don't want to restrict myself to never being able to be outdoors at night etc.
That's up to you. I'd recommend going there one night to check it out. Just to see if you feel comfortable.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,514,671 times
Yeah, that's a good rule when buying a home too. When the sun goes down places can really change.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:21 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,580 times
I'd live there

Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 AM

29 posts, read 99,138 times
Can't say I really care for any of Norfolk when the sun goes down.
But, the job brings me there.
Another thing I'm not wild about is the parking. Most condos/apts only come with one spot with street parking for a second vehicle. That can be a real pain in the arse.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I'd live there
I could probably live there. I'd prefer to be in Ghent a little further, but I don't think 1400 Granby is a horrible area. But it's on the outskirts of Ghent, so it can get sketchy at times is all.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:59 PM

371 posts, read 1,190,509 times
Is The Row on Granby where the bread company used to be? If so, I'd be a bit concerned about being out and about at night. During the day it's not so bad but at night it can get a bit sketchy. Not so bad to go from car to apt and back probably, but I dont think I'd want to be out taking a stroll around the block or walking a dog. Like others said, the Ghent area and the Downtown/Freemason areas I would not have as much concerns about being out and about. For the money I'd want to be able to stroll to a local restaurant for dinner or a drink.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 PM

161 posts, read 684,898 times
I think the Ghent area is pretty safe. Granby can get hairy in parts. I'm not too familiar with block numbers, though. Sorry. All I can say at the moment is I would avoid walking around Hampton Boulevard (near ODU) at night. Crime there is getting bad.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 PM

520 posts, read 1,625,997 times
OOOPS.

Looks like 5 black kids beat the crap out of a Virginia Stage Employee last night in Freemason, sending him to the hospital after stealing his cell phone.

10:30PM.

It's hard to know what goes on because the media hides stuff, because they don't want to appear racist or raise community tensions.

But this is by word of the Police.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 PM

63 posts, read 184,317 times
I actually like downtown Norfolk a lot. I used to work in a really nice converted home/office building on Freemason Street. I would always leave by 5pm. A really nice guy (colleague) lived a few blocks away and decided to take a night walk to the grocery store (around 10pm). He was held up at gunpoint and robbed.

My advice to you is to not walk around any city at night that you are not familiar with. I grew up in Boston... I know where the bad areas are and where the so so areas are. I know where to take a chance and where not to. I don't know Norfolk all that well and would not be walking around past 8:30 pm.

Norfolk isn't Paris or Amsterdam. Be careful, be wise, be mindful and enjoy yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area