Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:25 PM

19 posts, read 111,714 times

Advertisements

Hi-I am a mother of four school age kids, married and a professional considering relocating to the Hampton Roads area with my family late this summer. the job opportunities that I am considering are in Norfolk on the Virginia Beach border and one in Newport News. I could probably work in either place, but can't decide where to live. Looking for good schools, sense of community, cultural activities and cultural diversity as well as a reasonable commute. We are relocating from sw PA. Any ideas out there?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,597,183 times
If you do NFK/VA Beach do, VB or chesapeake both have good schools. if you do Newport News, York Co. has the best schools in HR, also consider Menchville area in NN it is the nicest area in NN and the schools are decent. parts of NN and Hampton are safe and decent but the schools aren't the most impressive compared to York Co. housing is a little more resonable on the peninsula.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 PM

213 posts, read 1,018,247 times
williamsburg/james city county schools are some of the best in the area. If your professional salary allows you to live in JCC and work in NN (do NOT live in NN) you will have a great situation. The commute from w/jcc to NN is 10-25 min depending on start/stop locations. I would put living in YC second, then smithfield or gloucester.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,824,163 times
If you choose Norfolk, most folks choose to live in Va. Beach or Chesapeake. I think you might want to look into the 23456 zip code. You can check out the schools on www.greatschools.net.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:33 PM

798 posts, read 2,722,215 times
I presently live in the Tabb section of Yorktown and this is also a great school district and family area. Don't know what price range you are looking at but the zip for this area is 23693 if that helps in your search.
Good luck.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
I presently live in the Tabb section of Yorktown and this is also a great school district and family area. Don't know what price range you are looking at but the zip for this area is 23693 if that helps in your search.
Good luck.
I second Tabb, very nice area a stones throw from the Hampton City line (the safe side). a lot easier to get to NN than JCC. i think it's way better than JCC.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Thank you all for your kind responses. Will definitely look up the "great schools" website. Should have a good professional salary to afford good housing in a good area, but--and I'm not sure how to ask this without offending--one of the reasons we are leaving sw pa is that we have bright, talented kids who are tired of going to school and living with people who do not look like them. While we know that we will always be a "minority", it is important to us to live/attend school where our family/kids won't be "the only ones" who are African American. What areas best exhibit diversity?

Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdj90 View Post
Thank you all for your kind responses. Will definitely look up the "great schools" website. Should have a good professional salary to afford good housing in a good area, but--and I'm not sure how to ask this without offending--one of the reasons we are leaving sw pa is that we have bright, talented kids who are tired of going to school and living with people who do not look like them. While we know that we will always be a "minority", it is important to us to live/attend school where our family/kids won't be "the only ones" who are African American. What areas best exhibit diversity?
Speaking as an AA, i'd say that Cheaspeake is the best area for diversity with great schools. I'm also a big fan of VA beach schools. A realtive of mine bought a house in that area (Rt. 58 near the Portsmouth line) a couple of yrs ago and i considered that a diverse area. Hampton and NN has a half white and half black population, i'd wouldn't say this area was horrible for raising a family, u just need to be very careful with picking the neighborhood. An area of Hampton that i consider family friendly and diverse is Michael's Woods, an area of NN that i would think about is Menchville. These areas have somewhat decent schools and are reasonably priced and are the best areas in their respective cities. I'd be willing to say that moving to HR will solve your diversity problem.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:26 AM

Greatly appreciate your response, Alanboy395. This is such an excellent career opportunity for me and we believe my husband will be able to find a job in his field there easily--but the kids are the highest priority right now.

Thanks for the tips on the neighborhoods--will look them up when we visit again next week.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:52 PM

798 posts, read 2,722,215 times
If you do consider the NN area, I would suggest looking at Tabb again. This is a farily diverse area I because of the military presence, and the schools are great. good luck in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area