U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 PM

21 posts, read 65,810 times

Advertisements

Hi there Family of 4 with 2 school age children moving back to VA (military veterans). Looking for: excellent schools for children and nice neighborhood for home or nice apartment complex. From what research I've done online, it looks as if Yorktown schools have better ratings, appears that perhaps taxes are higher there as well? Ideas on activites, things to do with the children, nice restaurants (both family friendly & just for couples).........any ideas offered would be helpful, we haven't lived there in several years & when we did our children were babies. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,708,595 times
Need a little more information to make any recommendations. Are you renting or buying. What rent or purchase price range will you consider ? What amenities would you like to have in a neighborhood ? What else is important ? i.e. proximity to shopping, closeness to employment, recreation ? Where will you or your spouse be working ? How old are your kids ? What type of activities do you and your kids like to do ? What type of restaurants do you like ?

The annual tax rate is a bit lower in York County than neighboring James City County .65 per $100 versus .77 per $100 ( $1972 for a $300k home in York County versus $2310 for a $300k home in James City County) It's also lower in the City of Williamsburg at .54 per $100. Although homes in the City of Williamsburg tend to be much more expensive for an equivalent home.

Most York County residents will say that York County Schools are the best. We live in James City County/ Williamsburg and are elated with the schools our two sons attend. If you look at test results JCC schools are making huge strides. I would suggest visiting prospective schools and seeing what you think. Observe classes being taught, talk to the teachers, be there when school ends at talk to parents who are there.

Welcome Back !

John

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the response We just sold our home, car, boat, etc. so plan to rent for a while & stay under $1500 for 3 bedroom. We are fairly flexible on the neighborhood, we definately want to live in a family friendly neighborhood with other young childeen as our children are 4 & 6. My husband prefers rural with acerage with a few homes in the area. I tend to prefer newer homes in subdivisions with larger lots (1/3 acre & up) that have a playground, pool, etc. A fenced yard is a must, as well as a washer/dryer. We are willing to compromise though since schools are most important to us.

I have done quite a bit of research on the 2 school discricts & according to most research Yorktown schools are "better". I know that this is largely based off opinion, but also test scores. However, with all of the new things being implemented & the new schools being built, I would say that Williamsburg schools are comparable. I am definately needing suggestions in the preschool arena as I am unfamiliar with preschools there. We are looking for an actually preschool that is naturally minded that prepares children for kindergarten, not a daycare type setting.

Proximity to shopping is always nice, although with all the outlets outside of town & the Patrick Henry Mall, I'm not too worried about it

My husband will actually be returning to school full-time this spring & I am currently self-employed (although seeking full-time employment outside of the home if you know of anyone looking for an Executive or Personal Assistant!) So reasonable access to the highway is great since I may end up working in Richmond, Newport News, etc.

Our children are extremley active for their age. They are used to skiing, fishing, water skiing, biking, hiking, etc. on a daily/weekly basis year round so we could definately use some suggestions there. We are hoping that there are alot of community sports, since the schools don't offer organized sports until middle school. Community events are important as well, farmers markets, parades, Halloween activites, etc. so we'd like to be fairly close to town for things like this.

I plan to be heading down there soon & will be checking out schools. Only problem with that is that between the 2 districts there are close to 20 schools! So I definately need to narrow down my search somehow Any advice John

Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM

As if my previous post wasn't long enough I forgot to mention restaurants. The only one I remember is Captain George's & we loved it! For family meals we prefer a comfortable family setting & healthy choices. For mom & dad night's out, we like small quiet restaurants with lots of entree options (salads, steak, seafood, chicken, appetizers, etc) & a great wine selection! We are not too big on the "cookie cutter" Applebees, Uno's, etc. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM

368 posts, read 927,360 times
Hi!

We just moved to the area and are currently living in Yorktown--we don't love it. We have three young children and just find that there is not a whole lot to do here. There's Yorktown Beach (I'll admit, it's very nice having a beach so close by!), Colonial Park (lots of walking trails, lots of ticks), Newport News Park (fairly close and pretty nice), but, other than that, there are really no opportunities for kids to get out and play. We are currently living in an apartment with two very active boys and I would not recommend anyone else try it in Yorktown--we're going pretty stir crazy!. We've decided that we want to buy in Newport News--it's a much easier commute for my husband and I won't have to trek the kids up and down 17 all the time to find things to do (we spend most of our free time in Newport News now anyway--tons of parks, museums, shops, etc.).

As for adults--the best places we have found to eat in Yorktown are in Yorktown Proper--really nice and right on the beach. Other than that, there are a number of pizza places, a barbecue joint or two, your standard Chinese, etc.

I will recommend the Yorktown Library--they have really good programs for kids and the children's librarian is awesome.

We homeschool, so schools are not always on top of our priority list; but, if you do consider Newport News instead of Yorktown, I've heard from friends that Yates Elementary and Hidenwood Elementary are top notch. Newport News schools have a bad reputation, but my friends couldn't be happier with Yates and Hidenwood.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by artistatheart; 10-07-2009 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reply I'm sorry that you're not enjoying Yorktown! I definately understand what it's like to have active children lol Based off other things I've heard from other people it seems that Williamsburg is winning the race We actually used to live in Newport News many years ago, it was great with small children & if you homeschool I'm sure that you will love it as well. I'm not too impresed with the schools there district wide, although individual schools may be good. I don't know enough to speak on it. I definately miss the Newport News park though, we used to go there practically everyday! Patrick Henry Mall has all the essential shops........Anyway thanks & good luck to you as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 PM

368 posts, read 927,360 times
Thanks! I've definitely heard good things about Williamsburg from many mothers. If it hadn't meant a long commute for my husband (coming recently from California--where the commutes are horrendous, we are currently very anti-commute!), we may have chosen it ourselves.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM

22 posts, read 45,710 times
Moving to Williamsburg ! Saw your thread posted years ago. Any advice you would give when it comes to family friendly subdivisions ? Have three small ones so that is so important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area