Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,564 times

Advertisements

We are being transferred to Langley AFB on Summer 10'. Looking for several things:

1) Interested in Renting a condo for around $1200-$1300 Max
2) Looking for good High Schools
3) Looking for City Life. We are a married couple but getting tired of being in small towns with no life.
4) Commute: This is a tricky question. I want to live close to Base, but not close enough to sacrifice our civilian life. I like riding my Bicycle at work if possible, not sure if this can be done in the area.
5) Virginia Beach: This last question is really out there. How bad would it be to live in Virginia Beach and commute to Langley? Nightmare?
6)Yorktown? Hampton? Neport News?: Which area is most SECURE? Definition of Security: I can walk at night without being worried of being mugged or shot. Also, I don't have to live in a fortress.

Thanks!

Eco Mover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,436 times
Well, dont live in Va Beach if you are commuting to Langley. You will deal with the traffic heading to Norfolk and then tunnel traffic to the Peninsula. Easily a 1 hour commute especially when summer rolls around.

With all of your other criteria, including good schools, safe area, near city-like amenities, check out the Tabb area of York County. Very suburban area, but you could find a house, or townhome to rent. A condo might be harder but possible. Tabb is about a 10 minute drive to base, and 10 minutes to the Oyster Point area of NN, which includes Port warwick and City Center. There you have restaraunts, shops, bars, walkable areas, concerts, ect; a very safe environment.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
I agree with Damian. You would might tear all your hair out if you tried to commute from VB to Langley. There are a few communities in York County that might appeal. Maybe consider the Coventry community . Start looking for a rental way in advance. 3 bedrooms are not that easily found in that price range in York County. 2 bedrooms yes. Good luck

Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,564 times
Damian / Mr. Williamsburg:

Thank you for helping me with this info, I will wait for more responses and see what else I get.

V/R

Ecomover

Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,120 times
I would definatly recommend the Yorktown side of Langley AFB. Anything off of Magruder blvd/Hampton Highway in the Yorktown area would be great. There are townhouses and some condos in the area. The Gables off of Magruder blvd/Hampton Hwy sounds like it would fit you perfectly, maybe not the nightlife since it is a residential area but its not far from anything you might like to drive to. Also, not sure about riding your bike ( Bicycle?) to work since it is along a busy road. There is a nice sounding 2 bedroom plus loft listed right now through militarybyowner.com It is under 1,300. That is a very nice little townhouse neighborhood. Quiet. Low or no crime. My daughter had a friend who lives there and I had always thought that if the townhouses had more bedrooms I might like to live there. There are townhouses and I believe condos in the Yorkshire downs neighborhood, also off of Magruder in Yorktown. We lived in a townhouse in Yorkshire Downs when we first moved here. LOVED IT back in there. Ours were the TH's that had the transom windows over the doorways and all the downstairs windows. Clydesdale drive is the name of one of the streets. There are other TH's back in there also that are different types. We only moved because we had another child while we lived there and needed more yard space for him to play. Coventry has some townhouses and a few condos also. All are in the highly desired York County School District. Most are Tabb High School except for the Coventry neighobrhood which would be Grafton High School. A couple of miles away is Kiln Creek neighobrhood in Newport News. Nice neighborhood, but your child would go to Newport News high schools.

Hope this gives you somewhere to jump off at.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:23 PM

160 posts, read 502,830 times
I used to live in a townhouse in Coventry and that might fit your bill. It's not bike riding close to Langely. There are a good amount of military there. However, you are fairly close to the base, and about 5-10 minutes to the Oyster Point area of Newport News, which has a great city feel to it.

If you want to bike, you could live in Poquoson. There are a couple townhouse communities which are on Wythe Creek Rd. However, there is a flat bridge over a marsh and I don't know if there is a bike lane. It's a small town with great schools, but it has all the staples (grocery stores, a few restaurants, video store, ect) you would need daily. You're about 15 min to Colisieum(sp??) Central in Hampton or Oyster Point in Newport News.

As far as security goes Poquoson and York County are pretty much as safe as you'll find. There are some good and not so good areas of Hampton and Newport News. Usually, the higher the rent, the safer the place.

BTW, part of Kiln Creek is in York County. That would put you right beside the Oyster Point part of Newport News, but further away from Langley. Kiln Creek is right by the Airport, but if you're with the air force the noise probably won't be an issue for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area