U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 AM

608 posts, read 1,638,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_beauty View Post
So I'm basically trying to figure out why does Norfolk, VA need a train?
I personally think it's a waste of money.
I mean, come on, that's what the city bus is for, and that's what cars are for.
Now don't get me wrong, I can see the purpose in building it, but there are just more important things this city needs to spend its money on.
I think those millions of dollars spent on that darn train could've went to the schools and could've set up programs to keep kids off the streets and reduce crime. It could go to build up neighborhoods and get rid of slum landlords. It could also go to jobs with today's economy. Most of all, it could go help with the FLOODING issue.

It's very ignorant to spend money on things that aren't even needful.
I'm not from Norfolk, but seeing the ignorance here doesn't exactly persuade me to want to stay here.
And no, I'm not saying everyone here is like that, I'm just stating that I don't agree with the whole idea of Norfolk government saying "Let's buy a train and spend most of our money on that! We know there are on going problems with crime, unemployment, flooding, traffic, etc but we still want a train!"

Also, this construction, can I say TRAFFIC?
Traffic was bad enough with the typical hampton roads drivers, but now lanes are closed, certain streets are cut off, and traffic just sucks more than ever.
Not to mention if you live downtown (Like me) the noise of the construction is just incredibly annoying. (Good thing it's temporary )

Okay, done ranting. But what do you honestly think?
Oil prices will fluctuate in the short-term and may temporarily stay suppressed over the next 1-5 years, but I'm willing to wager that $70 - $80/barrel becomes the new floor sometime within the next decade and it may move much higher than that. That translates to about a $3 - $4/gallon minimum.

Given our foreign dependence on oil, our completely unsustainable development patterns, and the vast amount of waste and inefficiency created from congested roads and sprawl, more rail development is badly needed.

You mention crime and poverty, but there is a definite connection between America's transportation system and poverty. More public transportation provides greater mobility for lower income individuals, who have access to greater opportunities. This helps alleviate poverty, which in turn, alleviates crime.

It's not a magical cure-all or anything, but it's about the best use of taxpayer funds that I can think of. I'd much rather see taxpayer money used on public rail development than most of the typical junk its normally thrown at.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 06:58 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,961,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Oil prices will fluctuate in the short-term and may temporarily stay suppressed over the next 1-5 years, but I'm willing to wager that $70 - $80/barrel becomes the new floor sometime within the next decade and it may move much higher than that. That translates to about a $3 - $4/gallon minimum.

Given our foreign dependence on oil, our completely unsustainable development patterns, and the vast amount of waste and inefficiency created from congested roads and sprawl, more rail development is badly needed.

You mention crime and poverty, but there is a definite connection between America's transportation system and poverty. More public transportation provides greater mobility for lower income individuals, who have access to greater opportunities. This helps alleviate poverty, which in turn, alleviates crime.

It's not a magical cure-all or anything, but it's about the best use of taxpayer funds that I can think of. I'd much rather see taxpayer money used on public rail development than most of the typical junk its normally thrown at.
Most intelligent post I've seen in a long time...thanks!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 984,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_beauty View Post
So I'm basically trying to figure out why does Norfolk, VA need a train?
I personally think it's a waste of money.
I mean, come on, that's what the city bus is for, and that's what cars are for.
Okay, done ranting. But what do you honestly think?
A picture is work a thousand words!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,169,211 times
Exactly. This is 264. How do you expect to relieve this traffic without light rail? can't widen it. We need mass transit.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:04 AM

542 posts, read 921,131 times
On the issue of flooding, the city of Norfolk is basically sea level and on top of that is surrounded by multiple rivers and streams that feed into the bay. All of this combined make the city unusually susceptible to flooding. Most, if not all coastal cities have to deal with a measure of flooding to a degree. Back to light rail, I think by the posters in favor on this page that are in support of it, including myself, it has been proven to spur economic development along the lines. And it's also just healthier to be able to walk either to or from the train. This country already has a huge problem with obesity, no pun intended, sitting in traffic stagnate is not getting you the mobility that many need, especially after sitting in an office all day or whatever.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,768,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Exactly. This is 264. How do you expect to relieve this traffic without light rail? can't widen it. We need mass transit.

I do find it funny if you think if 7 miles of light rail track is going to do anything about the traffic issues

Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,169,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I do find it funny if you think if 7 miles of light rail track is going to do anything about the traffic issues
I find it funny that you don't think this thing will be extended to Town Center and the Oceanfront in a couple years.

The DRPT, HRT, and the TPO are in the process of finalizing the HRTVP (Hampton Roads Transit Vision Plan) with 300 miles of higher speed/ rapid transit.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 PM

290 posts, read 1,119,548 times
This is the movement towards the future..if the area doesnt begin to progress its gonna get left behind..Your gonna start see many more moves like this in the area..by 2025 this place gonna be a booming metro.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 AM

3 posts, read 5,292 times
I lived in New York for a year and had my first experience with the train system that caters to transport needs. I fell in love with New York and that train. It is just simply fun and a great time. I lost weight walking to and from the station. I got my morning coffee and paper to enjoy for the trip. And, I settled back in a cushy seat with spectacular window views and enjoyed my morning commute. It was wonderful to have this time to just relax. We would zoom by areas of traffic congestion and I would be so grateful that was not me wasting gas and on edge waiting to get going.

The train is a blast. It really is. I spent 40 years without one and one year with one and have to say I miss it so so much. I think you really will find it a wonderful new experience. Honestly. You should save so much money in wear and tear on the car and your stress level might go down several notches. It just is so much better then a bus. More room, faster, and it is almost soothing to ride a train. For me anyways. Hopefully you will agree if it does become a source of transport for you.

And, some folks might just get by without a car and what a huge savings that is. I gave up my car as the train got me where I needed to go safely and economically. What a savings it was not to have that car payment and insurance and repairs. And, if you have kids....they love the train.

Just my opinion, only. Why don't you just wait until it comes and take a trip. I bet you will see the many positives about train travel. A BLAST!! Thanks for reading my post.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 AM

26,356 posts, read 39,347,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
This is the movement towards the future..if the area doesnt begin to progress its gonna get left behind..Your gonna start see many more moves like this in the area..by 2025 this place gonna be a booming metro.
If Hampton Roads ever wants to steal jobs from Northern VA and compete nationally it needs to get its traffic together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area