U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,774,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
http://www.gohrt.com/vbtes/documents/VB%20CC%20Presentation_090519.pdf (broken link)

The EIS will be done this summer,then a ROD (Record of Decision)/ LPA (Locally Preferred Alternative) will be signed. After that, we apply for federal/state funds. We conduct Prelim. Engineering/FEIS. Recieve FFGA (Full Funding Grant Agreement), start consturction. Timeline=3 years.

Your lying.

LOL you post a link trying to prove a point...and no where in that link does it show the time line as 3 years......Thanks for the good laugh this morning......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,172,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
LOL you post a link trying to prove a point...and no where in that link does it show the time line as 3 years......Thanks for the good laugh this morning......

Your welcome.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbehson View Post
I'm not cityboi's fanboy, but this is an incorrect statement. The 10 year window closes in a few months. The Navy supports an extension. Obama spends money with the best of them, and our mayor supports light rail. The city has made several overtures that clearly indicates an interest (study, Circuit City, and purchasing the line from NS) in rail. Your prediction might be correct if everything goes wrong, but I wouldn't count on it.
Tell me how this is an incorrect statement....show me facts where I am wrong...I will wait on those just like I wait on cityboi's but they never seen to happen...

Sure a study is going on....again the city does studies on everything....no surprise there...but what does that have to do with my timeline......A study has been done on a new Kellam high school, the widing of Witchduck Rd, Holland Road and Princess Anne Rd just to name a few....and look at just the time lines for those projects ...they have all been pushed back a number of years.......That is just how city govenment works.......

The circuit city building I believe has just as much weight on its purchase for town center as light rail...BTW....only thing that you will see happen with the Circuit City building anytime soon is that East Coast appliance is moving into that building

cityboi cracks me up with his time line which seems to change on every post he makes first he states that light rail in Va Bch will be completed in 4-6 years which is even to stupid to make another reply on..

Now he talks about a 3 year plan but does not have any fact to back that up either......Cityboi has been proven wrong on so many different statements about light rail I dont even know where to begin and once more he will be proven wrong about his "newest time lines".....

Last edited by rtandc; 11-03-2009 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 AM

I said 3 yrs. For construction to begin.

4-6 to be completed

Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I said 3 yrs. For construction to begin.

4-6 to be completed
You can say whatever you want those numbers are still nothing but a fantasy....
It took Norfolk 13 years to get its project under way, starting with a 1995 study...Here we are today and we are still about a year out from the first ticket being sold.....And that is on a 7 mile section of track......Va Bch's track would be over 10 miles long....So you expect Va Bch to go with the first study I guess with no changes...which wont even be done for another year or so then build the track including the wetland issues that takes months if not years to deal with, build all of the flyovers, park and ride lots, the stations etc and have it up and running in 4-6 years......OK you say so.....LOL

Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
You can say whatever you want those numbers are still nothing but a fantasy....
It took Norfolk 13 years to get its project under way, starting with a 1995 study...Here we are today and we are still about a year out from the first ticket being sold.....And that is on a 7 mile section of track......Va Bch's track would be over 10 miles long....So you expect Va Bch to go with the first study I guess with no changes...which wont even be done for another year or so then build the track including the wetland issues that takes months if not years to deal with, build all of the flyovers, park and ride lots, the stations etc and have it up and running in 4-6 years......OK you say so.....LOL
That same study that was conducted in 1995 (if that's even the date) was conducted for a line all the way from norfolk to the oceanfront. They are using that same study now to complete the EIS. So this isn't the first study. Norfolk took 13 years to get the ball rolling. Now that the ball is rolling, it is much easier.

Norfolk LR construction began in Dec. 2007. It should be complete in Oct. 2010. Less than three years.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM

88 posts, read 245,145 times
This is the most entertaining post in a while.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM

520 posts, read 1,555,588 times
Light rail is redeployment of a system that already existed in Norfolk and was removed. Should have gone elevated maglev transit, or something similarly forward looking. Instead we're getting old and busted.

The whole idea that this train is going to bring insane amounts of new growth to Norfolk is funny.

It will be interesting. I know everyone is hoping that everyone else rides it so the roads are empty for them. But the process of driving somewhere, parking, getting on a train, then riding is kind of a hassle.

I live near a station (like, I could probably throw stuff and hit it), and I work near a station (I could definitely throw stuff and hit it, except the windows don't open). I don't plan to ride it. MAYBE if it went to the oceanfront, I'd ride it a few times a year.

I suspect that if it went to the navy base, they might pick up ridership. Not sure how that would play into effect with housing.

I'm already terrified the landlords will try to jack up rents over the stupid thing as it is. They have this bizzare idea people will pay $300 extra a month to live near the thing. Seems nutty to me.

And wrt to oil prices. Here is the deal. If oil is cheap, then it will continue to rule. We'll buy lots of it, and use it. Then when it's not cheap, other technologies will quickly take it's place. If you're bored, or cool, or a bit of both you can already throw an electric motor and motor controller in a manual transmission car and back it with a bunch of SLA batteries and you've got an electric car that goes 30 miles or more round trip. If you can figure out a way to go NiMiHi or LiION then you've just boosted your range and decreased your weight. If LiPO batteries become more stable, awwwyea. Also, there are some new techs that will lead to very rapid recharge times on batteries (nanotech increasing the surface area of the metal used in the battery, kind of like mentos candy in a diet coke in reverse). If it takes 5 minutes to recharge to go 100 miles....

Also, the train will take the union missioners out of Norfolk, right? They ride that out somewhere in the middle of nowhere soon, right?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 AM

16 posts, read 40,824 times
I also live downtown and in the past two months it feels like I live in Downtown Baghdad. I have to go a different route to my house often, every other street is either closed, shortened or I'm being directed by some guy with a flag through a neighborhood.

Light Rail was the future in 1970's San Francisco. Then they discovered subways were more efficient and go faster. I'm not going to ride a light rail from Norfolk to Newtown Road because it will need to follow traffic patterns JUST LIKE CARS, go slower than 45mph and make 7 stops to let people get on.

Maybe, MAYBE if this light rail actually went all the way to the ocean front I might sacrifice 2 hours to get there. If they really wanted people to use this light rail they should have made a third crossing and put the light rail across it. Oh wait, they should have just built a third crossing for CARS and I wouldn't have to sit in traffic for 2 hours to go 2 miles.

<-- Lifetime Hampton Roads resident.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Well

1. the LR doesnt follow traffic patterns just like cars. It always has the right of way and never has to stop at a stoplight. It will take 18 minutes to get from downtown Norfolk to Newtown Rd. When expanded the Oceanfront that time will be about 35 minutes. NOT TWO HOURS!

2. The plan is to extend it across the harbor via the Third Crossing in the extended future. Be patient.

In 4-5 months LR construction will be over and your lanes will be reopened.

Oh and subways were "discovered" way before the 1970s buddy. LR is the way of th 21st century for many cities such as Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, Salt Lake, Denver, and now HAMPTON ROADSs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area