U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM

36 posts, read 199,526 times

Advertisements

So I'm basically trying to figure out why does Norfolk, VA need a train?
I personally think it's a waste of money.
I mean, come on, that's what the city bus is for, and that's what cars are for.
Now don't get me wrong, I can see the purpose in building it, but there are just more important things this city needs to spend its money on.
I think those millions of dollars spent on that darn train could've went to the schools and could've set up programs to keep kids off the streets and reduce crime. It could go to build up neighborhoods and get rid of slum landlords. It could also go to jobs with today's economy. Most of all, it could go help with the FLOODING issue.

It's very ignorant to spend money on things that aren't even needful.
I'm not from Norfolk, but seeing the ignorance here doesn't exactly persuade me to want to stay here.
And no, I'm not saying everyone here is like that, I'm just stating that I don't agree with the whole idea of Norfolk government saying "Let's buy a train and spend most of our money on that! We know there are on going problems with crime, unemployment, flooding, traffic, etc but we still want a train!"

Also, this construction, can I say TRAFFIC?
Traffic was bad enough with the typical hampton roads drivers, but now lanes are closed, certain streets are cut off, and traffic just sucks more than ever.
Not to mention if you live downtown (Like me) the noise of the construction is just incredibly annoying. (Good thing it's temporary )

Okay, done ranting. But what do you honestly think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,960,812 times
what do I think?

I think it's great for the city, has brought jobs, new construction, will bring cars off of 264, and in 25-30 years we will wonder how we ever lived without it.

I actually wish all the people like you who complain constantly would get up and leave Hampton Roads for the "greener side" Yeah, you've had to hear construction and avoid road closures, but in 11 months when the line is up and running everything will be back to normal and Norfolk will continue to reap the benefits.

This is aa STARTER LINE!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
what do I think?

I think it's great for the city, has brought jobs, new construction, will bring cars off of 264, and in 25-30 years we will wonder how we ever lived without it.

I actually wish all the people like you who complain constantly would get up and leave Hampton Roads for the "greener side" Yeah, you've had to hear construction and avoid road closures, but in 11 months when the line is up and running everything will be back to normal and Norfolk will continue to reap the benefits.

This is aa STARTER LINE!!!
You completely miss the point. I'm not complaining just to be complaining, I know the noise is temporary, but to waste money on something that's not even needed when the city obviously has bigger issues to worry about, that's what ticks me off.

And you know, all of us complainers would leave, but unfortunately due to military causes we are stuck here for a bit. But don't worry, I will leave as soon as I can to the "greener side." The grass is always greener somewhere else when you're in Hampton Roads I'm starting to find out.

You completely are ignoring where this money should have gone to.
But no, it's okay to have a flooded city, high crime rates, and umemployment rates, as long as we have a TRAIN. I wonder how this stupid train will even do in the floods lol. Can't wait for the show.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_beauty View Post
You completely miss the point. I'm not complaining just to be complaining, I know the noise is temporary, but to waste money on something that's not even needed when the city obviously has bigger issues to worry about, that's what ticks me off.

And you know, all of us complainers would leave, but unfortunately due to military causes we are stuck here for a bit. But don't worry, I will leave as soon as I can to the "greener side." The grass is always greener somewhere else when you're in Hampton Roads I'm starting to find out.

You completely are ignoring where this money should have gone to.
But no, it's okay to have a flooded city, high crime rates, and umemployment rates, as long as we have a TRAIN. I wonder how this stupid train will even do in the floods lol. Can't wait for the show.
Norfolk may not NEED LRT, but Hampton Roads needs it. And Norfolk, being the true city that it is, took the initial plunge. The average speed during rush hour in HR is 25mph. We NEED LRT!

If $40M can fix unemployment, then I agree the $$ would have been better spent, but it CANT!

Norfolk spent 40M and got $1B of development from it.

Oh and part of the Light rail construction was sewage/drainage improvements.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Norfolk may not NEED LRT, but Hampton Roads needs it. And Norfolk, being the true city that it is, took the initial plunge. The average speed during rush hour in HR is 25mph. We NEED LRT!

If $40M can fix unemployment, then I agree the $$ would have been better spent, but it CANT!

Norfolk spent 40M and got $1B of development from it.

Oh and part of the Light rail construction was sewage/drainage improvements.
Exactly, you just admitted that the city doesn't need it.

Start small, then move big. Did Norfolk do that? No. They went big.
It's like me having a starving family and I have all this money, but instead of feeding my family I give them each a dollar and tell them to make it last a couple weeks. Then I take my money and use it to buy an expensive mansion. Sure the mansion benefits the family since it puts a roof over their heads, but at the same time, it really does nothing because food isn't in their bellies which is what they need most so now they suffer.
That's what the city of Norfolk is doing to it's people.
There are much more important things to spend billions of dollars on.
Sure there's a train, but crime, poverty, excessive flooding, and umemployment still prevails. Now those are much more needful situations to be tended to.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:

It's like me having a starving family and I have all this money, but instead of feeding my family I give them each a dollar and tell them to make it last a couple weeks. Then I take my money and use it to buy an expensive mansion. Sure the mansion benefits the family since it puts a roof over their heads, but at the same time, it really does nothing because food isn't in their bellies which is what they need most so now they suffer.
Sure there's a train, but crime, poverty, excessive flooding, and umemployment still prevails. Now those are much more needful situations to be tended to.
First, they didn't spend "billions" of dollars. They spent exactly 61M.

Second, how in the heck would 61M fix flooding,poverty,crime, and unemployment. Since you live DT, I thought you would know, but the city has been doing massive utility improvements,and the recent flood would happen in any city because of the amount of water.

Every city has poverty. It's not the city's job to feed the masses. It's the city's job to provide alternative transportation that can be used to move thousannds of people, spur development, and lure businesses. More than 1/2 of the country's F500 companies are located within walking distance to rail. And you don't think all the construction along the line provided jobs?

You are being short-sighted. LR is the FUTURE.

One light rail line that takes up as much space as one lane on an interstate can move 5X as many people as one lane can.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 PM

87 posts, read 309,911 times
Quote:

The best defense is a great offense.

You become a great city by doing great things. Enabling people to get around more effectively is better for everyone. Light rail costs less than adding 1 land onto 264 from downtown to Newtown. Did ya know that?

IF (and its a big if) this is connected to bases, beach and airport the cost will be less than adding road miles and it will save ppl time and $.

Open your eyes.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbehson View Post
The best defense is a great offense.

You become a great city by doing great things. Enabling people to get around more effectively is better for everyone. Light rail costs less than adding 1 land onto 264 from downtown to Newtown. Did ya know that?

IF (and its a big if) this is connected to bases, beach and airport the cost will be less than adding road miles and it will save ppl time and $.

Open your eyes.
Not only is it cheaper, but it'd be impossible to add a lane to 264 from downtown to the Oceanfront because it's too much property along the interstate.

Also, it's not really a big if.

Four Admirals in the US Navy endorsed light rail in Hampton Roads because it'd be great to link NOB with NAS Oceana. They even said that Department of Defense $$ could be used.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 AM

3,364 posts, read 5,046,937 times
Quote:
Also, this construction, can I say TRAFFIC?
Traffic was bad enough with the typical hampton roads drivers, but now lanes are closed, certain streets are cut off, and traffic just sucks more than ever.
Not to mention if you live downtown (Like me) the noise of the construction is just incredibly annoying. (Good thing it's temporary )

Okay, done ranting. But what do you honestly think?
I think that after construction is done, TRAFFIC, as you complained about, will be improved. It wasn't going to improve by doing the same thing again and again (roads, roads, roads).

Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 AM

Not to mention the state doesn't have any $$ for us to build roads.

They are out of the road-building process.

The future is mass transit, geet used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area