Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 AM

57 posts, read 222,270 times

Advertisements

I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on Food Network the other day and thinking that if this show came to Virginia Beach, they would probably have a really hard time finding places for the show.

There are a few places that have one or two great dishes, but I'm thinking about places where the whole place is truly great. Where they really care about the food and its quality, and the ownership has true passion for food, but within the context of affordability.

So, I'm wondering where everyone here goes to get great, reasonably priced food in Virginia Beach? I'm not talking about fast food chains, or any kind of national chain, for that matter. And I'm not talking about expensive places with great food, of which we actually have many (Terrapin, Coastal Grill, One Fish Two Fish, etc...), but a local place that has truly great food and you can get out of there with spending under $30 for two people.

I also know there are many great places in Norfolk and elsewhere, but I'm specifically thinking about VB here.

Last edited by thorntonm; 11-12-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 AM

150 posts, read 577,067 times
I know zilch about the VB area. But just to add my .02, the DDD show went to Dumars in Norfolk that has Icecream and BBQ and I thought their BBQ sandwich was so bland. Their icecream was OK but so overpriced. I have also been to the VA Diner which was also on the show, and the food was really good though. I've been to a total of about 5 or 6 places thats been on DDD and I can honestly say that alot of places before being on the show were so dead, never any business. All of a sudden its on TV and then it becomes everyones favorite joint lol

Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 PM

I kind of agree about Doumar's. I think they went there because of the history of the place (didn't they invent the waffle cone or something?), more than legendary food. Did you have the cheeseburger at Doumar's? It's very good and very small and very cheap. It's always fun to stop real quick and get a few to fill up on. The Limeade is also awesome.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 PM

371 posts, read 1,190,596 times
DDD should have went to Smittys Drive inn in Hampton instead of Doumars. I agree with the above statements about Doumars. It's thriving on it's history. Very small portions seem overpriced. And I thought the bbq was bland also. We discovered Smittys about 10 years ago and the prices are fantastic for the large portions you get. We are in lower Yorktown and will drive over to Hampton for lunch or dinner just because of that drive inn. It's like Doumars in that you drive up and a carhop comes out to take your order.

A favorite VB restaurant, although it's not 'cheap' is 58 Deli on Va beach blvd. It is a NY style deli and they get their meats from NY. They make HUGE piled high hot or cold deli sandwhichs along with a ton of other stuff on their menu. The hot pastrami just falls apart in your mouth and the corned beef is to die for. Like I said, it's not 'cheap', but you'll come away thinking it sure was worth it!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 AM

58 Deli Diner is actually at the top of my very short list. I always take into account that I can buy extra bread and split the sandwich (or just take the other half home).

Others:

Beach Bully BBQ on 19th
Rigoletto (in Ocean Lakes next to the Wal-Mart)
Tad's Deli (for their cold sandwiches - at Norfolk and Mediterranean)

after this I start to draw blanks...very sad

on a side note..I noticed Primo Pizza on Baxter had closed, so I went down a few blocks to Neighbor's Pizza, which was surpisingly almost, but not quite as good as Primo.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Mom's Kitchen-Holland Road. Home cooked meals without the cost added as franchises do. Then there's Jenro's at Haygood Shopping Center. Been there for years, good home cooked meals pleasantly priced.
Man, too bad Primo closed...why? Business seemed to be good and we ordered from there at least twice a month or I'd stop in for take out. They had the best stuffed pizza! Pembroke Pizza is good too, jus Primo had that Italian way.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
Erma,
Is that the same Jenros that used to be on Witchduck ?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
Erma,
Is that the same Jenros that used to be on Witchduck ?
No, this one has been there 24+ years that I know of. They have car shows in the parking lot on the weekends as well.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
I have heard of many people talk about Mom's kitchen as being good.....So I went to check it out, food was nasty......thought maybe I just went on a bad day and went back a few weeks later....the food was even worse the second time..........I have now found by talking to friends that many people feel the same way as I do.....I guess it is one of those places you either love or hate...

I used to love to go to the Famous Uncle Al's on Holland Road before the original owner sold it, he made great homemade soups and sandwiches along with a monster 3/4 pound burger that could not be beat......Once it changed owners I went a few times but now it is just a normal hot dog place where most items are store bought

Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I have heard of many people talk about Mom's kitchen as being good.....So I went to check it out, food was nasty......thought maybe I just went on a bad day and went back a few weeks later....the food was even worse the second time..........I have now found by talking to friends that many people feel the same way as I do.....I guess it is one of those places you either love or hate...

I used to love to go to the Famous Uncle Al's on Holland Road before the original owner sold it, he made great homemade soups and sandwiches along with a monster 3/4 pound burger that could not be beat......Once it changed owners I went a few times but now it is just a normal hot dog place where most items are store bought
I suppose it depends on what you find good or not good, cheap or not cheap. I haven't found an Uncle Al's that I liked. So I guess it is either a love or hate or even the age of the people that have different views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area