Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Home Generator
Yes, Portable 3 50.00%
Yes, Entire Home 1 16.67%
No, but plannig to buy 0 0%
No, Don't Need One 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 PM
NJR NJR started this thread

236 posts, read 1,031,352 times

Advertisements

Just looking to see the common consensus here in Hampton Roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 06:29 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
Wishing I had one now!

Old 11-15-2009, 04:38 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
We have it for the camper...

Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
Have an entire home generator.....learned my lesson years ago when I was out of power for 6 days after a storm.....never again

Old 11-29-2009, 06:04 AM

85 posts, read 319,746 times
Portable that I bought before Isabel hit. Used it for the 2 weeks we were without power. Start it and let it run for 30 min once a month.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,820 times
I owned one of those 12KW generac units that was LP/Propane. I sold it during Isabel never installed. Had intended to use it to backup some of my office, mainly the computer equipment. Worst part was I had passed up a 35kw set with a 180 gallon dual walled base tank less than a year prior to the storm. Was holding out for 60kw, as the servers and network hardware would cause the temperature to climb too high without keeping the air conditioning up. Reason I didn't install the generac is there was no natural gas in the office park (would have used it for the core router, switch, and only a few servers.)

I wasn't super impressed with it. If housing wasn't stupid priced in Hampton Roads, and I went to do a generator, I'd probably find one surplus and drop a skid mounted diesel in a detached garage. You can find MQ and similar units used if you look hard enough (30kw and 60kw.) I'm told in-building setups, the radiator air movement will make your ears pop when it lights off. Not sure what code says about running power from garage back into house to meet a large ATS. Guess if your going to do it right, might as well put a whole-house battery backup in place too :-)

Be aware that the natural gas bills can run pretty high. Is being without power a few days worth a $1,000 gas bill? I forget how much the unit I had would have cost to run. It had a baby transfer switch (60 amps or something). I was going to work on building a better monitoring setup.

I guess I'm kind of a generator snob. I LOVE the diesel units, and not a huge fan of lp/ng.

We played with a 5KW garden generator during isabel. High harmonic distortion on the power, frequency and voltage shift, small UPSes rejected the power.

Thinking back, I didn't have the big UPS during the storm. That came later.

Fun stuff.

Remember, it takes a lot of juice to really back up a whole house. Most folks go for the fridge some lights and the tv. Given a HVAC system with a 30 amp breaker for the indoor unit and 30 amp for outdoor unit (both at 240vac), that comes out to 15KW. Although not taking power factor into consideration, so it should be lower, not sure how much. Starting big devices strains the small generator which causes the frequency to skew which makes things unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area