Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 06:05 AM

12 posts, read 27,096 times

Advertisements

Good morning all:

I can't believe we're this late into November and I'm debating whether to mow one more time or let it go until spring. I thought I was done 2 weeks ago, but I think all that rain last week gave my grass another little growth spurt. Is anyone else mowing this weekend or are you guys done until spring? I think I will mow one more time to clean up the yard from the storm last week and have it looking decent for the rest of the winter.

I grew up in CT and we usually store our mowers away around Aug/Oct. I’m just curious of what the latest anyone here in Hampton Roads has mowed. Into December, possibly January, year round? It still feels weird to me mowing in November.

Anyways have a nice weekend all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:58 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,030,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minow View Post
Good morning all:

I can't believe we're this late into November and I'm debating whether to mow one more time or let it go until spring. I thought I was done 2 weeks ago, but I think all that rain last week gave my grass another little growth spurt. Is anyone else mowing this weekend or are you guys done until spring? I think I will mow one more time to clean up the yard from the storm last week and have it looking decent for the rest of the winter.

I grew up in CT and we usually store our mowers away around Aug/Oct. I’m just curious of what the latest anyone here in Hampton Roads has mowed. Into December, possibly January, year round? It still feels weird to me mowing in November.

Anyways have a nice weekend all.
I'm Still Mowin'. I'm from Jersey so this is wierd for me too, but I guess it's better than shovlin' snow.
Good trade off.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:19 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
just mowed yesterday. Depending on weather, we could mow all year long.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
I don't think the grass ever stops growing here, it just slows down. Even in winter it needs it after a couple months because it often gets into the 50's.

I mowed our grass yesterday for the first time in about 4 weeks. In past years, it has really needed to be cut sometime around late January, which usually gets us until late March which puts us back into regular mowing season.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I mowed also yesterday for one, to cut the grass of course and 2ndly, to shred and bag up all the leaves that fall from my neighbor's trees into my yard.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:46 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
One year the guy who cuts our grass, came on Christmas Eve. The lawn needed to be cut, but I figured he really just needed the money .

We definitely need another mow, then that should be it until March or so. The weeds will get long in the backyard once the weather warms up.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
One year the guy who cuts our grass, came on Christmas Eve. The lawn needed to be cut, but I figured he really just needed the money .

We definitely need another mow, then that should be it until March or so. The weeds will get long in the backyard once the weather warms up.
weed and feed before winter and you won't have the weeds when the weather warms.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Im done mowing by late October/early November. The grass gets a little long, but it doesnt grow fast enough to look terrible before the cold kills it all off for spring.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
When I lived in Va Bch, I generally started mowing toward the end of March or early April. Up until May I mowed the lawn every 2 or 3 weeks. From early May to late Sept it had to be mowed every 10 or 11 days. Then in Oct and Nov I could stretch it out to every 2 or 3 weeks, with the last mowing in late Nov or early Dec. In the 16 years I lived in VB, I never put a drop of water on the lawn, not did I ever apply fertilizer or any chemicals to the lawn. The d*mn grass kept growing like mad anyway. Now living in western Colorado in a very dry climate, I can get by mowing the lawn just 4 or 5 times a year, even with regular irrigation. Last mowing of the year was back in mid Oct. It is now thankfully brown and dormant for the winter. Mowing lawn and yardwork in general is not an activity that I enjoy. I'd rather take a walk in the red rock canyons!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area