Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 03:40 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Despite the increased sales activity, home prices have continued to fall. The multiple listing service reported that the median price for existing homes in October was $208,000, down 3.3 percent from a year ago. The median is the point at which half the prices are higher and half are lower.
Hampton Roads home sales up 28 percent over last October | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times

That probably wraps up any hope for the housing to ever reach affordable levels.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Randomdude I don't think so......I am sure a good number of those sales were either distress sales, bank owned or investment type transactions.........just like you have people walking away from their homes and taking the credit hit you also have allot of people trying to sell their home right now at prices where they hope just to break even and be able to walk away without messing up their credit because they are afraid of job loss or home prices dropping even lower and they would never be able to get what they owe on their loan

The real hurt for the real estate market is about to begin....sales will be super slow now that the holidays are coming and will be flat at least until next years spring push even with the tax credit, once the rates start to rise (or the threat of higher rates) we will see a temporary increase of sales again from the people that were sitting on the fence........then once the rates do rise that will push home prices even lower causing more people to fall into that distressed type sale.......The housing market is going to take years to fix itself and silly tax credits by the government is just delaying the inevitable

Last edited by rtandc; 11-17-2009 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Randomdude I don't thing so......I am sure a good number of those sales were either distress sales, bank owned or investment type transactions.........just like you have people walking away from their homes and taking the credit hit you also have allot of people trying to sell their home right now at prices where they hope just to break even and be able to walk away without messing up their credit because they are afraid of job loss or home prices dropping even lower and they would never be able to get what they owe on their loan

The real hurt for the real estate market is about to begin....sales will be super slow now that the holidays are coming and will be flat at least until next years spring push even with the tax credit, once the rates start to rise (or the threat of higher rates) we will see a temporary increase of sales again from the people that were sitting on the fence........then once the rates do rise that will push home prices even lower causing more people to fall into that distressed type sale.......The housing market is going to take years to fix itself and silly tax credits by the government is just delaying the inevitable

I sure hope you are right.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
I work in the new construction field and we have seen a steady increase in new home sales over the last 6 months. It is slowing down because of the holidays - which is normal. The builders that are doing OK are the ones that do not build mcmansions.

Now I am not saying it is great, but it has kept us going and things are moving around here. I think we will continue to see the foreclosures for a while, those that have tried to hold on for as long as possible.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I sure hope you are right.

sure that is what the government does best, they cant fix the problems so they just keep putting band aids on the problems and hope the temporary fix will last until the next president or party takes control and then blame the problems on him.....this federal tax credit program is just another band aid hoping to keep the housing market somewhat afloat while they hope for a miracle that will never come......If I have said it once I have said it a dozen times.... The only way the housing market will ever be fixed is by the people not by the government

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM

239 posts, read 633,094 times
You're right, the tax credit is just a band aid. Buyers don't realize that without it, prices would probably drop even more and they would be better off that way. For example, if you buy a $400K house and the tax credit makes it $392K it sounds like a good deal. But without the credit that house may have dropped $20K-$30K, so are they really any better off. Plus, once the credit goes away, prices may drop again so they are at risk of being under water. That is just a what-if scenario, but you get the picture.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
You're right, the tax credit is just a band aid. Buyers don't realize that without it, prices would probably drop even more and they would be better off that way. For example, if you buy a $400K house and the tax credit makes it $392K it sounds like a good deal. But without the credit that house may have dropped $20K-$30K, so are they really any better off. Plus, once the credit goes away, prices may drop again so they are at risk of being under water. That is just a what-if scenario, but you get the picture.

The only possible way I could remotely be convinced to stay here is if I can find a single family detached house in a safe neighborhood in Va Beach for under 150k.

So, lets see if it will drop like a rock.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The only possible way I could remotely be convinced to stay here is if I can find a single family detached house in a safe neighborhood in Va Beach for under 150k.

So, lets see if it will drop like a rock.
It'll never happen, dude.

Go to maybe... Isle of Wight and try.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
It'll never happen, dude.

Go to maybe... Isle of Wight and try.
Hour and a half commutes arent anything I will ever be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area