U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think the "Cell Phone While Driving" law should be?
There should be no ban at all. 6 17.14%
There should be a ban on ALL cell phone use while driving. 14 40.00%
There should be a ban ONLY on Cell Phone Use WITHOUT a Hands Free Device. 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 AM
NJR NJR started this thread

236 posts, read 957,749 times

Advertisements

Recently on Wavy News there was a news clip about the dangers of talking on a cell while driving. I understand that Del. Algie Howell has sponsored a bill banning cell phone use while driving, with opposition. In NJ , where I'm from, there was a ban put in place a few years ago and it looks like this bill is going in again this year to the Virginia legislation. I am curious on the response normal people think of this proposed ban.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,717,927 times
I'm all for it. I've seen too many accidents an innocent people killed because of drivers' distractions while talking on them. We complain about terrible drivers in Hampton Roads, this is one of the biggest reasons.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,523,889 times
I voted there should be a ban unless you're using a hands-free device. My biggest problem with drivers using cell phones, and I've been guilty of this myself, is when they try to merge or change lanes while they have their hand at their ear. It just creates another blind spot. I almost got in an accident myself doing that when I first started driving, and I can't tell you how many times it's happened to me.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,329,413 times
I say no!!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 PM

134 posts, read 513,375 times
Some people can multi-task, some cant. How about just adding an extra fine on if you cause an accident while on a phone? I have no problems talking on my phone while driving.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM

270 posts, read 451,876 times
While I agree that some people can't handle even a hands-free device, MOST people in this area can't seem to use a turn signal if they have a cell phone in their hand. Seems that whatever they're talking about on the phone is more important than the safety of other drivers on the road?? So I would LOVE it if they banned cell phones without hands-free devices because I'm tired of other stupid drivers who can't handle them!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM

59 members read this thread and only 12 voted???
And that includes my vote.
Come on people read & VOTE!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:17 PM

175 posts, read 635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeas View Post
Some people can multi-task, some cant. How about just adding an extra fine on if you cause an accident while on a phone? I have no problems talking on my phone while driving.
I embrace Utah for putting driving while distracted in the same class as driving while drunk. Nobody is as competent at multitasking as they are when they give their complete attention to the task at hand. When you sit behind the wheel of 4000 lbs of steel driving 25 to 70 miles an hour, you have an enormous responsibility before you. Chatting on the phone never used to be, and is not currently necessary while manning a vehicle.

We can all agree that driving while drunk is hazardous because the driver is not in full control of the situation... why is driving while distracted different? You may think you are good at driving while talking on the phone, but trust me... as the person driving behind you, next to you, or walking on the sidewalk you just swerved towards... you're not as good as you think.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 PM

So far we have had a lot of good comments. My feeling is that no call is so important that it either can't wait or can't pull over. In all fairness I think an absolute ban would never fly. Considering you can get a hands free device at Dollar Tree, there is no reason for anyone to not have a hands free.

To open a discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I say no!!!!
Spazkat9696 you say no, I would like to hear your reasoning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeas View Post
This one is easy...Virginia doesn't know how to impose a decent fine. The fine for texting while driving is $20! Big deal. That is not a deterrent at all.
You could say in case of an accident involving a cell the insurance premium should go up. But in VA you can legally drive without insurance. (if you pay DMV a $500 fee you are still responsible for damages) I found that ridiculous because if you can't afford insurance, how will you be able to pay restitution?

Many people may in fact be able to talk and drive, but many more people can't, So IMHO giving up the cell in the car to protect my family from people who can't even walk & blink is worth it.

I'm glad we have this going!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,329,413 times
Probably because I text and drive too, and I've never so much as gotten a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area