U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 54,073 times

Advertisements

If our child goes to bethel elem. do we have to live in bethel housing or can we live off ?

do they run buses off or would we have to drop them off and pick them up?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 PM

26,100 posts, read 38,691,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear806 View Post
If our child goes to bethel elem. do we have to live in bethel housing or can we live off ?

do they run buses off or would we have to drop them off and pick them up?
If you are referring to the elementary school in the Bethel Manor base housing near the Hampton City/York County line, I'll try to recall.

I remember that elementary school only serving the base housing (went to York County schools from 4th to 10th grade) but I do remember there being bus transportation.

Since the school is run by York County public schools, I would contact them for more info.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:16 PM

371 posts, read 1,132,865 times
In order to go to Bethel Elementary you would have to live on the Bethel Manor housing, the side with the school on it. The other side of Bethel Manor housing (across Big Bethel Road) that is being remodeled goes off base to Tabb Elementary school.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,026 times
It's Cin! can you please provide an update on Bethel Manor housing. Just want to know if the elementary school is still a good school and also if the housing is safe and a nice place to raise a family. We are in Hawaii and will be moving to that area and I've been told Bethel Manor is one of the best places to be with base housing in the area. Thanks in advance for your input.

Lisa

Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Hi Lisa,
My kids did not go to Bethel Manor, but from what I hear it is a very good elementary school. It is part of the York County School division which is highly rated and desired. I had one child go to Tabb Elementary (Which the newer part of Langley/Bethel housing goes to) and one child go to Mt. Vernon elementary. Both are in York Co. School division.

As for the housing, it is now operated by a private company. One portion of the housing has been torn down and completely rebuilt with new homes. That section is REALLY nice. On the other side of housing, one portion has homes that were built in the 90's. Those houses are nice also, just older. There is also a large portion of housing that is VERY old. I believe it is all listed to be torn down and rebuilt eventually. I just dont know how the schedule for that is going.

The website for the managment company is: Langley

You can see the eligability requirements, floor plans, photos, etc. (I think this is just the brand new housing, not sure if they have the older floor plans on there).

This area of York County/Yorktown is nice and peacefull. Low crime. Great schools. Great neighborhoods. You are convienant to shopping, dining, movie theaters, ice skating rink, etc. You can be on the interstate (I-64) in five minutes. Go one direction to the beachs (Buckroe beach, Va beach) and the other direction to Williamsburg (Colonial Williamsburg, Water Country USA, Busch Gardens) or Richmond. There are lots of festivals and museums and historic sites in the surrounding areas. There's usually so much to do that it's not "Is there anything going on this weekend?" It is "WHICH thing do we pick to do/see???"

Many places in the area offer Military discounts. Especially the museums, zoo and the Va. aquarium. Which makes getting out and enjoying the area affordable. Also popular right now are the online groups such as Groupon.com which offer a special deal each day for various services such as museums, restaurants, spas, salons, retail, etc. Radio stations and the newspaper even offer similiar daily deals.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions you'd like answered directly, feel free to message me.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 AM

26 posts, read 29,910 times
Hi, I'm on the waiting list for bethel housing right now. We are moving for the school. The best schools are in the York Co district. If you are above a Staff Sgt you can find housing in the York co area cheaper than BAH. My dh is a Staff and the only thing we can afford is a 2 bedroom townhome in York Co, which is why we are moving on base. All the old housing is being torn down. They are doing it a little at a time. They said we would likely get an older home then be moved into a brand new one possibly by the end of the summer. So even if you end up in an old one (and they are atrocious looking) it would only be a matter of months before you get a brand new one.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,794,009 times
That new housing development is completing a new house every three days on average and I believe they just wrapped up phase one and are onto phase 2. Where do I get my data? My DH is a fire inspector on Langley AFB. He also says, "unplug your electrical heaters when not in use!!" yadda, yadda, yadda. LOL
Taking him anywhere is often an eye rolling event because he critiques how each building is abiding fire codes or NOT. More often than not, many are violating them. Why can't we just shop?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,026 times
Thanks so much for the information. Going to put my application in today for the housing. My husband is in the Navy and his ship is in the Northrup Grommen shipyard in Newport News and should be there for most of our time there. I assume the commute should be easier from Bethel Manor than if we stayed on the other side near Norfolk? I may possibly take a job in Portsmouth, can you tell me what the drive would be like from Bethel Manor to Portsmouth? Also any recommendations on preschools near Langley? My son will be 4 when we get there.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM

I couldn't tell you about the commute to the shipyard as that is one route I don't believe I've ever taken. I do know that yes, it would be an easier commute from Bethel Manor than from the Norfolk area since you do not have to deal with the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (HRBT) traffic. To Portsmouth you would be taking the Monitor Merrimac (M&M) Bridge Tunnel. I'm not quite sure of the commute time since you didn't say where in Portsmouth you'd be going, but my husband used to commute from right near Bethel Manor to just over the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel at the Joint Forces Command and that would take him about 30 minutes each way if there wasn't an accident in the tunnel or on the bridge.

As for preschool, I HIGHLY recommend Chestnut Memorial Preschool. It is located about 5-10 minutes from Bethel Manor Housing. It is in Newport News. They do not advertise, they fill up every year from word of mouth. They do have a website, just google Chestnut Memorial Preschool in newport news, va. They are located as part of the Chestnut Memorial Church building. My son went both preschool years at Chestnut and goes to school with many of the same kids at his public school. The kids from Chestnut formed a really close bond since the class sizes are limited to 10 or 11 students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area