Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 AM

34 posts, read 108,952 times

Advertisements

I know there's the Goodwill, Salvation Army and the like, but is there anyplace where the people don't have to BUY the clothes? I don't want to have a garage sale, but I have a few boxes of children's clothes. I'd like for them to go to a family in NEED. They are boys clothes ranging from infant-2T...
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreicated.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
Depends on where you are. In Williamsburg there is a women and children's shelter that takes clothes and gives them out and then there is another charity called FISH that also hands out clothes, and they take both men's and women's clothing.
Good luck, I know all charities are hurting right now!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:44 AM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,030,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollteam View Post
I know there's the Goodwill, Salvation Army and the like, but is there anyplace where the people don't have to BUY the clothes? I don't want to have a garage sale, but I have a few boxes of children's clothes. I'd like for them to go to a family in NEED. They are boys clothes ranging from infant-2T...
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreicated.
TIA
What I did was I read through Craigs list in the wanted section. There are a lot of people in bad shape. You may want to meet somewhere other than your home though (my NJ suspicious nature) just to be safe.

Let me share my experience. Just before Thanksgiving I read an ad on Craigs list where this single mother or 3 in N.C. was desparate for a stove to cook on. The one in her place had given out.

Fortunatly, I had just finished remodelling my kitchen & replaced a perfect electric stove with a ceramic top unit. I had the original stove in my shed not wanting to chuck it because it was prctically new.

I contacted the woman & offered to bring it to her. My brother in law & I loaded it into my pickup & I was shocked at how some people live. I felt so bad we even took the extra 15 minutes to install it for her.

I have never seen someone so grateful in my life!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:18 PM

34 posts, read 108,952 times
oh, WOW, thanks! I'm actually in Va Beach. I'll keep looking and see what else I can find. I have posted on craiglist but never really thought about checking the wanted ads. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM

136 posts, read 443,534 times
You could try freecycle.org . There is an active VB group.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM

125 posts, read 496,668 times
You could also try Samaritan House (http://www.samaritanhouseva.org/how-to-help-wishlists.html - broken link), a shelter for women and children in VA Beach.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Or a local church. Our church in Portsmouth feeds the homeless, and even though it isn't a shelter, I would imagine any church would welcome those donations in moderation.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Contact the local Police Department...there are a number of local womens and childrens shelters and safe houses that are not listed publicly for security reasons. I am sure they could use your assistance.....The Police will send someone by your location to pick these items up from you...

Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 AM

162 posts, read 801,467 times
You can also donate clothes to an elementary school nurse. They need clothes for when kids spill stuff, get sick or have accidents. Call and ask first though, in case the clothes aren't needed right now. You could also ask the elementary school guidance counselor for help because they usually know of families in the school who might be in dire straits.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 38,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreekgotapaddle View Post
You could also try Samaritan House (http://www.samaritanhouseva.org/how-to-help-wishlists.html - broken link), a shelter for women and children in VA Beach.

x2 --- very worthy cause
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area