Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 PM

10 posts, read 73,462 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are possibly relocating to Norfolk for professional reasons, we have yet to visit the area, any suggestions in regards to residential locations? We are currently looking for short term apartment leases. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM

We are looking in the Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake areas as far as places to live. We are looking for a short term apartment lease that provides a safe, quiet environment that is not extremely far from Military Circle Mall (if possible). We want a two bedroom apartment (at least) and are willing to spend no more than $800 a month. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:22 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
$800 will be the bare minimum in places that are pretty safe. a few places to stay away from would be the Park Place neighborhood in Norfolk, in between Ghent and ODU, Newtown Rd, Green Run, and Rosemont are in VA Beach and the South Norfolk section of Chesapeake. $800 may get you a little more in Portsmouth but be VERY careful there it has a reputation for crime.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,566 times
You can get a 2 bedroom for approximately that in Chesapeake, VA. I would say that it is very affordable compared to most places. Crime-wise, it depends where you are from, but I feel that the area is incredibly safe except for Park Place, Wards Corner, and Military Circle in Norfolk. Portmouth is scary throughout. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are all relatively safe. Chesapeake is your best bet cost-wise.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Thank you both for your input. Is anyone familiar with the Larrymore Lawns neighborhood in Norfolk, right off of E. Littte Creek?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrose View Post
My girlfriend and I are possibly relocating to Norfolk for professional reasons, we have yet to visit the area, any suggestions in regards to residential locations? We are currently looking for short term apartment leases. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
I know everyone has there own opinion... but be careful. The crime in Hampton Roads is pretty bad! I would do your homework before re-locating here or anywhere. Our local paper is Virginia Pilot - check it out.
We have lived here about 15 yrs and it has changed a lot. I'm not trying to discourage you but just give you an honest opinion. I know my family cannot wait to leave here!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:29 PM

16 posts, read 86,771 times
I live in the Deep Creek area of Chesapeake because that's the only area of Chesapeake where I could find anything worth while under $800 a month. It's *not* short term, and it's not very safe... Well, the area I live it *was* safe when I moved here, but it's turning around very quickly. It's very much a "good block/bad block" situation over here. We hear gunshots on average of about once every three months, and the pizza places won't deliver after dark, try getting a taxi after dark too - not happening.

My rent is $685 at the moment for a two bedroom, and will be going up to $725 when my lease is up. I don't think that you'll find much for under $800 in a "safe" neighborhood. Needless to say, I'm searching for a place to live myself.

I don't know about Larrymore Lawns, but I used to live in the Little Creek area about eight years ago. It wasn't *too* bad back then. I don't know what it's like now. It's not close to Military Circle. I'd go more towards Indian River. There are some small apartments over there that are fairly cheap - Indian River Gardens Apts. They are extremely picky about whom they rent to, and the neighborhood isn't *very* bad. I'd be there myself but they didn't have anything available when I needed a place.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 19,873 times
when will you be looking for a place. my husband is going on a six month deployment first of next year and we are looking for someone to sublet our place....possibly. Its a 2 br 2 bath townhouse with fenced yard in Hampton for very close to your price range. Very safe and fairly quiet neighborhood with approximately a 30 min commute to Military Circle Mall. We were looking for the same things you guys were when moving here but found that most places in that area are overpriced and/or not well maintained or safe(we have small children).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area