Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 PM

53 posts, read 155,285 times

Advertisements

If my husband worked at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard and we lived in South Chesapeake or North Carolina, would he hit any tunnels or bridges in his commute? I can't tell from a map. Are there ways to avoid the tunnels? I DO NOT want to go in a tunnel under the ocean in traffic! That thought scares me to death. If there is no reason for me to go in one, I'm not doing it. Would I be missing anything exciting on the other side if so? Thanks!

Karrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM

125 posts, read 496,668 times
Hmmmm, I'm thinking he might be able to take the Gilmerton Bridge? Southsiders, correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Really, though, living in Hampton Roads without ever going through tunnels is going to be really difficult. I'd instead advise you to try to get used to them, as tough as that sounds. They're really not that horrid, and you really do just get used to them. It's not very often that you get stuck in a tunnel anyway; traffic usually comes to a standstill before the tunnel, then you're stuck waiting to go through, but you usually speed up once you get inside. I've only been stuck inside the tunnels themselves a handful of times and I've lived here for years.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 PM

134 posts, read 544,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinaar View Post
If my husband worked at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard and we lived in South Chesapeake or North Carolina, would he hit any tunnels or bridges in his commute? I can't tell from a map. Are there ways to avoid the tunnels? I DO NOT want to go in a tunnel under the ocean in traffic! That thought scares me to death. If there is no reason for me to go in one, I'm not doing it. Would I be missing anything exciting on the other side if so? Thanks!

Karrie
The Norfolk Naval shipyard is in Portsmouth. If you came up 464 from Southern Chesapeake or NC you would have to go through the downtown tunnel. You could alternatively take 64E to 264E but it could be several miles further depending on where exactly you were coming from.

The Jordan bridge is no longer in operation which could have offered a fairly efficient route to cut from 464 to Portsmouth without using a tunnel. Out of date GPS's will still try to send you across it sometimes. Construction on a new Jordan bridge should start eventually.

I'd suggest getting used to tunnels if you plan to live here. If you can drive between the lines on a regular stretch of road then you can drive in the tunnel. Also, please don't slow down or ride your brakes in the tunnel for no reason...

Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
This is Hampton Roads. We have 5 tunnels: Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Monitor-Merrimack Memorial Bridge Tunnel, Midtown Tunnel, and Downtown Tunnel.

There are ways to avoid going through the tunnels, but a lot of times, it's a whole lot easier to just take the tunnel and get over the fear of them. The first time is a little scary - I'll admit. ((No, I'm not embarassed to admit that I used to be scared of them.))

But after you've driven through them a few times, it's no different than normal driving.

Don't let the wall of kittens fool you, either. They're playful ghosts and you cannot hurt them. ((This is a pun I came up with to explain why people slam their brakes before entering the tunnels))

Best advice I can give - go out driving at like midnight-1am on a weekday. Pick one of the tunnels and drive it back and forth until you are comfortable. That's what my best friend had me do when he taught me how to drive.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
No, if he came up 464 and took Geo. Washington Hwy, he'd come right up to the yard without going thru the tunnel. I take S. Military from Battlefield to Canal Drive, right to Geo. Washington Hwy..no tunnel involved.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 42,257 times
Tunnels are a facet of living in this area. If you avoid going through the tunnels in the morning or from 4p-7p you will rarely encounter traffic. The rest of the time it's just slow because of all the people who merge into traffic.

I'm not sure where you lived before but unlike northern states, it's not deemed acceptable to ride up an empty lane and expect to cut into the line. People do it yes, but just don't be trying to cut in front of me because its not going to happen :P

Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
After 14 years in Hampton Roads and spending the last 5 in Northern VA, I find that I actually miss heading through the HRBT and MM tunnel on occasion. I was back last year and actually liked going through the Monitor-Merrimac except being stuck in one disabled car backup and one very random backup.

There really aint nothing to tunnels, you'll get used to them.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM

23 posts, read 82,753 times
I commute every day from Williamsburg to VA Beach. I leave at 5:30am and head home around 3:30. I have had no problems (knock on wood) with the HRBT. You do get used to the tunnels...they really are not bad at all. They are just a part of this area and something you will just need to get used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area