U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 28,878 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice! The husband and I are attempting to buy our first home, and are on a budget, like everyone these days. We've been looking around Virginia Beach(super expensive), Norfolk (hit or miss), and Chesapeake (lots of room, far from everything), and are very interested in an older house with great floors and a ton of room that happens to be dead in the middle of the "historic South Norfolk" area of Chesapeake. The way some people are describing the area, we might as well walk around with targets on our chests, shouting "Please mug me, break into my house, then shoot me" to the skies. Is is really that dangerous in the area, or has it undergone some of the rehabilitation that Ghent and Olde Portsmouth have experienced? We love this house, it's in suprisingly good condition, and it's a great deal for our budget. However, I want to live somewhere where I don't have to fear for my life or property, and that has some degree of resale potential somewhere down the line. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,045,859 times
South Norfolk maybe had three or four homicides the entire year last year. I don't think it's all that bad. People in Hampton Roads that live in the newer outer suburbs like Southern Chesapeake, VB, etc. look down upon the older, historic, more minority neighborhoods.. I'd live there if that was my price range.. especially if the house was nice.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 AM

134 posts, read 512,935 times
Quote:
has it undergone some of the rehabilitation that Ghent and Olde Portsmouth have experienced?
Not yet... This area has a ways to go still in my opinion. I wouldn't fear for my life over there but I would fear for my property. I'm sure you can access the police records on the cities website. I'd strongly suggest doing that to see what the crime rates are like.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,576,931 times
There is a reason why the property is cheap(er) there. I used to work down off of Portlock, and the whole area is a dump, floods constantly, and sirens are audible 3 out of 5 workdays on any given week. The closer you get towards Military the worse it is I think.

Here is a great tip. If you cant afford a 200K+ house, you should probably just move, period. 90% of the housing below that on the southside is either destroyed or is in a questionable at best area.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM

43 posts, read 118,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
South Norfolk maybe had three or four homicides the entire year last year. I don't think it's all that bad. People in Hampton Roads that live in the newer outer suburbs like Southern Chesapeake, VB, etc. look down upon the older, historic, more minority neighborhoods.. I'd live there if that was my price range.. especially if the house was nice.
Just because it's only 3-4 homicdies does not mean it's not bad.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:42 AM

8,321 posts, read 14,280,164 times
Here are a few great resources to decide if this is decent, or indeed a paint-a-target-on-yourself neighborhood:

Sex Offender Registry search

Chesapeake Crime Database

Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,590,074 times
Sorry but South Norfolk has always been and will continue to be a very high crime area for years to come....Your best bet is to first find out what you can afford and then have a real estate agent pull a listing of homes in that price range and then come back to this site with maybe the top 5-10 you like and then you can get some advice from members of what neighborhoods may or may not be good.....

Just ask yourself this question..... if this home has great floors and a ton of room and is in suprisingly good condition, why dont you think it has not sold already?.......Houses dont sell for two reasons, either they are over priced or are located in a poor/high crime area.....Should not be to hard to figure out which catigory this home is in...

Last edited by rtandc; 01-22-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,110,230 times
I recall seeing alot about South Norfolk on the news whenever there is a big storm and flooding. Not just a little bit of water in the streets but pretty deep water in the streets.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,576,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
I recall seeing alot about South Norfolk on the news whenever there is a big storm and flooding. Not just a little bit of water in the streets but pretty deep water in the streets.

That one nor'easter in I think September of 06, the water was clean over my hood. My license plate still has a permanent fold from it.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,517,524 times
The last time I heard about South Norfolk was when that guy was abducted off the street, leading to a shoot out in the middle of I-64 between police and a recently released convict wielding an AK-47. That situation was one of those things that really only involved people who were into some bad sh*t though, and as far as I know, most of the crime in places like South Norfolk is that way. I'm sure if you know how to take care of yourself and stay out of trouble, you could be very happy in South Norfolk. Most of the people there (that I know of) are working class, decent people. Have you been to South Norfolk in person yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area