Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
nycricanpapi...My parents are non-black Dominicans living in Texas. You have NO IDEA how many times I've told people that I'm Dominican and I get these responses (even from Mexicans) : A) "Huh? I thought they were all black" and B) "Where's that?". On top of that my father was a physics professor so people just couldn't possibly believe that we were, in fact, an educated Latino family who aren't illegal immigrants.

On top of that, I live in Texas where most Latinos are Mexican. Just FYI, in most of the US outside of NY and Miami, Latino = Mexican. Might as well get used to it. I've met many Mexicans and Mexican Americans who are completely ignorant of any Latino cultures other than their own. The US's Latino population is something like 70% Mexican. So honestly I doubt they're intentionally trying to be racist/ignorant towards you...the people who are making the weird comments probably have never been exposed to someone like you! So keep your head high, smile and don't let it get to you. Try to learn about some of the culture there and make some friends. Good luck to you.
Wow yeah... you must get vexed then lol. I am lucky that I do not live in TX, because I would get angry all the times. I hate being confused as a Mexican like if that was the only type of Hispanic there is. I do not know how can you do it lol. But yeah I will try to smile

Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM

90 posts, read 288,197 times
I've actually come across a similar issue myself. I'm white with black hair & blue eyes, but I'm from the UK originally. I grew up in Colorado for my teen/young adult life, so my accent is...well, let's say...interesting.

When I lived in Colorado...people would think I was from NYC, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, or somewhere on the eastcoast. Never once, would they actually guess I was from England. And just the other day a black guy asked me if I had a black ancestor...because my bottom is slightly larger than the average white female. When I lived in Colorado, hispanics would continuously come up to me and start speaking spanish to me...which I only speak a few words of.

I've been asked also why is my skin darker than other white people from England? Apparantly people from England can't get tans. Lol. During the summer months my skin get's extremely dark... A guy from Cuba last year asked me if I was of Spanish descent. Lol.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Caroline View Post
I've actually come across a similar issue myself. I'm white with black hair & blue eyes, but I'm from the UK originally. I grew up in Colorado for my teen/young adult life, so my accent is...well, let's say...interesting.

When I lived in Colorado...people would think I was from NYC, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, or somewhere on the eastcoast. Never once, would they actually guess I was from England. And just the other day a black guy asked me if I had a black ancestor...because my bottom is slightly larger than the average white female. When I lived in Colorado, hispanics would continuously come up to me and start speaking spanish to me...which I only speak a few words of.

I've been asked also why is my skin darker than other white people from England? Apparantly people from England can't get tans. Lol. During the summer months my skin get's extremely dark... A guy from Cuba last year asked me if I was of Spanish descent. Lol.
Wow yeah I hear you lol. The thing is, these people here are not so diversed. So when they see a person like you they wonder is she really White? She must be mixed with something else.... I understand your pain. It is irritating right? By the way I just added you to my yahoo messenger

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 AM

90 posts, read 288,197 times
Yea, it's very interesting when you live in different parts of the US & you get the same reaction to how you look. I continuously get asked if I'm of latino descent, but technically I'm not. My great grandmother on my mothers' side was Italian, but as far as anything else...I'm sure I'm of white descent. Lol. German & English.

Over the weekend I went jet skiing & tubing...I got really brown from the sun. When I got to work this morning a few people said, "Wow, you look hispanic." Lol. I thought it was kindof rude. Then yesterday when I was at the gas station, some guy came up to me and asked me if I was native american. I said no. And he said he thought he'd ask because I have a lot of red in my skin. Wow... not sure what to say there.

Anyway, my point is... no one can really go by in life without others scrutinizing them from afar. Even if you've never heard anyone say anything, it doesn't mean they're not thinking it. I've had friends with extremely light skin & freckles...people automatically assume they're Irish. And so on...

And yes, NYCRICANPAPI I got your invite.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 21,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok I should have asked this question a long time ago. I was reading some posts here and I just remembered this question. I'm originally from NYC. I hate when people stare at me so much. Why would people stare at me so much here? I am Puerto Rican. For the people here I look mixed like with White and Black. Puerto Ricans are made up of Indians(Taino), Blacks (Africans), Whites (Spain). So many Puerto Ricans may look White , Indian, or Black. However I look mix as people say here. In NYC they will know I am Puerto Rican. Now, I tend to dress baggy not too baggy that I have my pants below my waist. However, the young african americans tend to stare at me a lot when I dress baggy I don't know why... I look at them and they do not change their face. It aggravates me because in NYC to look at a person for a long time is bad. So I am already used to this. Why do you think they stare at me a lot?

Now I dress casual too, and still I would get other people to stare at me. I look at them and still they would not change their face. Why don't they change their face when I look at them? Any inputs will be highly appreciated.
I live in Hampton Roads also and I am South Asian.. there is all races to be found here, including a lot of bi-racials / black & wh mix. Trust me on this one : NO-One is staring at you more than they should. In fact, people here arent big on staring at ALL. Which is why I like it. They DO - however make eye contact when in your immediate vicinity, unlike in NYC. My guess is you interpret this as "staring".

Dude, dont EVER, I repeat EVER go to North or South Carolina. The locals there stare so much you will probably run amok and kill someone ! Its nerve wrecking ! But my exp in this area has been much different. Thanks to all the military here, they are used to seeing every race, and sub-race and ethnic mix known to man.....perhaps your a tad paranoid ??

Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
I'm from rural NE NC and lived in VB for 15 years. Yes, in NC ppl do stare at you a lot (I catch myself doing it since I moved back and it drives me batty LOL) and it seems even more so further south. I noticed in VB at lot of people don't even look at you really. Maybe a casual glace but no real staring from most folks imo.

Last edited by citydweller; 07-06-2011 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regina_angelis View Post
I live in Hampton Roads also and I am South Asian.. there is all races to be found here, including a lot of bi-racials / black & wh mix. Trust me on this one : NO-One is staring at you more than they should. In fact, people here arent big on staring at ALL. Which is why I like it. They DO - however make eye contact when in your immediate vicinity, unlike in NYC. My guess is you interpret this as "staring".

Dude, dont EVER, I repeat EVER go to North or South Carolina. The locals there stare so much you will probably run amok and kill someone ! Its nerve wrecking ! But my exp in this area has been much different. Thanks to all the military here, they are used to seeing every race, and sub-race and ethnic mix known to man.....perhaps your a tad paranoid ??
South Carolina I could see (born at Shaw AFB there, mom could tell me some stories.) Parts of North Carolina I could see (dad was raised in SE rural NC). I would be hesistant to label the whole state of NC like that, especially since half of NY/NJ and Mexico is moving to Charlotte and Raleigh.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM

32 posts, read 92,825 times
People stare at me ALL the time...I just figure it's cause I am mucho caliente.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,844 times
Wow!! lol Im a Beach native, and I havent seen too many people that make me wanna stare. The last time that I stared at someone was three weeks ago when I was visiting my mom in Sentara Beach General hospital. I saw a young man(an employee) with the darkest black skin and very nice muscles and he made my jaws drop. lol

Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Ok I should have asked this question a long time ago. I was reading some posts here and I just remembered this question. I'm originally from NYC. I hate when people stare at me so much. Why would people stare at me so much here? I am Puerto Rican. For the people here I look mixed like with White and Black. Puerto Ricans are made up of Indians(Taino), Blacks (Africans), Whites (Spain). So many Puerto Ricans may look White , Indian, or Black. However I look mix as people say here. In NYC they will know I am Puerto Rican. Now, I tend to dress baggy not too baggy that I have my pants below my waist. However, the young african americans tend to stare at me a lot when I dress baggy I don't know why... I look at them and they do not change their face. It aggravates me because in NYC to look at a person for a long time is bad. So I am already used to this. Why do you think they stare at me a lot?

Now I dress casual too, and still I would get other people to stare at me. I look at them and still they would not change their face. Why don't they change their face when I look at them? Any inputs will be highly appreciated.
It's because your looking at them! People can "feel" when someones looking at them, in most places just like NY a quick look is one thing, a stare is asking for a problem. Most of Hampton Roads is crap , people will be "Scanning" their surroundings. If your subconsciously thinking people are staring at you, you'll catch them looking at you and there's your paranoia. Not a lot of different races here in VA, where I'm from in Boston, just like NY we got everybody, here not so much. People look at people who are different. I'm White (Italian Descent) but most people I've met or work with think I'm some type of Spanish race, same with my GF. I've got brown eyes, dark hair, goatee, nothing different. than anybody else. But even I gotta admit compared to the others here, I do look different than them. People notice it. The best line yet "You look like your name". ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area