Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 PM

36 posts, read 215,224 times

Advertisements

It seems so. I want to move to Chesapeake with my hubby who's in the military (I don't like Norfolk the ghetto is too mixed in with good areas, I don't like Va Beach too crowded and jet noise sucks, don't like portsmouth, we like suffolk but the commute is too far) and it seems like all the reviews of every apartment in hampton roads speak of bugs, or mold, or loud disturbances/ crime and I just don't know what to do...
As far as rent, we're willing to pay like $800-$1220/ month but that's about it.
Any good apartments in chesapeake, like out in great bridge or greenbrier? It seems like the appts I saw just had some horrible ratings.
We both are thinking about renting a home or a condo or townhome... would this be a smarter option?
Never in my life have I seen a place where mostly all the apartments get bad reviews... that's kind of sad... and frustrating to new people who want to move. I'm normally very good at research, but this place has me stumped.
Tips? advice? Any recommended places? websites? etc?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,866,665 times
There are some nice looking apartment complexes along Kempsville Road (between Centerville Tpke and Volvo Pkwy). It borderlines the Virginia Beach/Chesapeake border. Keep trying, I'm sure you will find something!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:24 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,553,094 times
A lot of people around here like to gripe, but no one is really big on giving praise. Don't let on-line reviews keep you from visiting a complex you think looks nice to see if it's a good fit for you. BTW Chesapeake has jet noise from Fenterss, and not all of VAB is crowded with jet noise. You have to be careful no matter where you live around here. There is jet noise in almost all of the south side cities. I can tell you you'll need to be at the top of your price range for a decent apartment. You should call the complexes you're interested. Most around here accept military set aside, and offer a rent discount for participating in it.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 16,937 times
Dominion Pines ~$850 - great location, relatively safe, clean, quiet area

apartmentratings.com tells it all

Old 02-19-2010, 01:30 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,173,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
A lot of people around here like to gripe, but no one is really big on giving praise. Don't let on-line reviews keep you from visiting a complex you think looks nice to see if it's a good fit for you.

Actually Im a frequent visitor/poster to a few different cities boards, and Hampton Roads by far has the most vocal and highest percent of people who do not like the area of all of the boards Ive been on. It also has one of the slowest rates of growth of all of the boards Ive been on. Coincidence? Not likely.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:52 PM

161 posts, read 562,127 times
we lived in chesapeake emperium, behind greenbrier mall. our 2 br, 2 bath was 1250/month. very clean, safe, quiet. we loved it. the only reason we arent there anymore is because we bought a house.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,419,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Actually Im a frequent visitor/poster to a few different cities boards, and Hampton Roads by far has the most vocal and highest percent of people who do not like the area of all of the boards Ive been on. It also has one of the slowest rates of growth of all of the boards Ive been on. Coincidence? Not likely.
or the same people who do not like the area...think about it. It's what you make of it. Go to Charlotte, the real estate market is so terrible, they won't even let the news people report it on site. Been there all week...it's not pretty.

Last edited by Erma; 02-19-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 AM

80 posts, read 204,402 times
Ginger, lucky you. You have the advantage of being there and knowing what you like and don't like. My husband is military and we are moving to the area soon and I am not excited. Although my brother is from Norfolk, I have not been there. He tells me horrible things about the area. I agree that it is what you make of it though, so we will try to make the best! Our rental range is the exact same as yours. I have no clue about the area, so please keep in touch and let me know what you find and your advice would be great. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 AM

36 posts, read 215,224 times
Thanks everyone for your commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steflee55 View Post
Ginger, lucky you. You have the advantage of being there and knowing what you like and don't like. My husband is military and we are moving to the area soon and I am not excited. Although my brother is from Norfolk, I have not been there. He tells me horrible things about the area. I agree that it is what you make of it though, so we will try to make the best! Our rental range is the exact same as yours. I have no clue about the area, so please keep in touch and let me know what you find and your advice would be great. Thanks.
I definitely wouldn't recommend living in Norfolk unless it's in one of the rare good areas. I just personally don't want to live there.
As far as the area, there is lots of military. I'd greatly recommend Chesapeake. I recommend Suffolk too but with Suffolk it's a harder commute that's farther away and involves a lot of tunnel traffic. Chesapeake makes you feel more like you're actually in Virginia rather than a packed place with tons of military.
I did see a couple apartments in Chesapeake that I think is worth checking out at the very least.
It is what it is. I really like the feel of Chesapeake, especially Great Bridge Chesapeake. It has a suburban country feel and is where I would love to eventually settle. Greenbrier is nice as well.
The whole area is decently racially mixed which I like.
So that'd be my recommendation. But all in all it is up to you.
My spouse and I are just about to sign a lease to rent a townhome in Chesapeake because I'm realizing that renting a home/townhome/condo is a better decsion for us than an appartment. Even though some are very expensive to rent, there are a few diamonds in the crud lol. But apartments are what you make it. Just like life is. So whatever you chose, just remember that it is what you make it out to be. I'm renting a townhome though and I'm so excited to move in

Old 03-04-2010, 04:00 AM

80 posts, read 204,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_beauty View Post
Thanks everyone for your commentary.

I definitely wouldn't recommend living in Norfolk unless it's in one of the rare good areas. I just personally don't want to live there.
As far as the area, there is lots of military. I'd greatly recommend Chesapeake. I recommend Suffolk too but with Suffolk it's a harder commute that's farther away and involves a lot of tunnel traffic. Chesapeake makes you feel more like you're actually in Virginia rather than a packed place with tons of military.
I did see a couple apartments in Chesapeake that I think is worth checking out at the very least.
It is what it is. I really like the feel of Chesapeake, especially Great Bridge Chesapeake. It has a suburban country feel and is where I would love to eventually settle. Greenbrier is nice as well.
The whole area is decently racially mixed which I like.
So that'd be my recommendation. But all in all it is up to you.
My spouse and I are just about to sign a lease to rent a townhome in Chesapeake because I'm realizing that renting a home/townhome/condo is a better decsion for us than an appartment. Even though some are very expensive to rent, there are a few diamonds in the crud lol. But apartments are what you make it. Just like life is. So whatever you chose, just remember that it is what you make it out to be. I'm renting a townhome though and I'm so excited to move in
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area