Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:22 AM

23 posts, read 95,096 times

Advertisements

My husband, two daughters and I are thinking of relocating to Portsmouth. We've looked at numerous houses, all over Chesapeake, Norfolk and Portsmouth, none of which we've found very appealing, or the neighborhoods weren't great. We found two houses that we really like. One off of Chestnut Street in Portsmouth and the other a few blocks away on Richmond Avenue. Both of these locations are right off of Effingham Street. The neighborhoods aren't great by any means, but we are running out of options. According to the MLS listings, the subdivisions are Prentiss Park and Brighton. Does anyone have any information on these areas?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 12:57 PM

134 posts, read 545,247 times
Those are not very good neighborhoods and would probably put you in the worst schools in Portsmouth. I suggest staying North of I264. The Churchland area is supposed to have the better of the schools in the city. Try the neighborhoods around Cedar Lane. What is your budget, maybe I can suggest a neighborhood?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM

We don't want to spend more than 200K. I've looked and looked and looked. I had about 40 houses and narrowed it down to these two. School is irrelevant since we will be moving in the next three years.

Either yard is big enough to fence in. I am more worried about someone trying to break into my house, our cars, etc. I could really care less about being welcome in a predominately african american community as I am from New York and I was living in a very diverse place with numerous cultures. I just don't want my belongings messed with as I don't intend to bother anyone else.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,022,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailors__sweetheart View Post
My husband, two daughters and I are thinking of relocating to Portsmouth. We've looked at numerous houses, all over Chesapeake, Norfolk and Portsmouth, none of which we've found very appealing, or the neighborhoods weren't great. We found two houses that we really like. One off of Chestnut Street in Portsmouth and the other a few blocks away on Richmond Avenue. Both of these locations are right off of Effingham Street. The neighborhoods aren't great by any means, but we are running out of options. According to the MLS listings, the subdivisions are Prentiss Park and Brighton. Does anyone have any information on these areas?

Thanks in advance!

run ...dont walk ...run away.....you dont want to be in these neighborhoods....

Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM

I just looked at a crime report...and it's not looking like I want to either. Apparently, 16 crimes between 9/16 and 8/20. They are either vandalism, assault, theft or robbery. Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM

239 posts, read 633,591 times
$200K will get you very little in Hampton Roads as you are seeing now. Why not rent? There are lots of rental houses around now as people are having trouble selling and don't want to lower their price, so they choose to rent them out. Being here only 3 years means any place you buy you will most likely lose money on (with buying and selling costs, not to mention possible price depreciation). I would see about getting a rental, do your 3 years in HR, and then get out as soon as I could.

Back to your question though, I would stay away from Portsmouth in general, especially with young kids.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,022,500 times
I agree rent.......if you are only here 3 years you will most likely lose money and there is nothing saying you will even be able to sell the house when the 3 years is up......there are many homes on the market right now that have been for sale for well over a year around the area....And I dont think we will see a big turn around in the housing market locally over the next 3 years

Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 PM

134 posts, read 545,247 times
That is actually probably one of the roughest neighborhoods in all of Hampton Roads. Right up there with Park Place in Norfolk. Stay North of I264 in Portsmouth! Try this map based search engine from long and foster. Search Results on Map

Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,334,448 times
I would also suggest renting. I just cannot see putting all that effort into a home for 3 years and then the hassle of selling. It is really not worth the risk.

If you want to stick to Portsmouth, definitely stay in the Churchland area. We rent a nice home, with a big yard in an established neighborhood for $1100 a month. I feel very safe here. You can also extend to the Western Branch area of Chesapeake which is right on the Portsmouth edge. Very close to all the daily shopping you might need. Very nice communities and also close to 664.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,916 times
From where are you going to be moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area